Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2010, 02:45 PM

10 posts, read 28,074 times

Advertisements

Hi all

My husband and I are looking to buy a second home/investment property that might become our primary residence. We are currently living in East Rocklin but are exploring different neighborhoods.

I am currently focusing on the Folsom/El Dorado Hills area and have found some nice neighborhoods. We have two small children, 4 and 5. If we decide to move over that way, we want to make sure the communities are also very kid friendly.

My husband works from home and travels once or twice a month so location is flexible.

Does anyone have experience with the neighborhoods around Francisco Dr. or Waterford in EDH? We were impressed with the greenery, hills, water combo in that area. It felt like a good fit for us. Our concern is it might be too rural??

Anyone know what the rental market is like in Folsom/EDH?

Any thoughts welcome!
Thank you!
Oh... budget is 400K-450K
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2010, 05:04 PM

405 posts, read 1,346,629 times
We're also looking in the area and, though I can't help you much with specific neighborhoods as a resident, though they are here if you're patient, I have some opinions about what you wrote. I think you're safe in both cities. It appears to me south and east EDH are transfering kids (by bus) to schools in Cameron Park and/or Shingle Springs. Do your homework there on boundaries. As affluent as those towns are, I was surprised to learn teachers aren't paid as well as you might think and there are severe budget shortcomings. The schools are rated as high, in most cases, as what you know in Rocklin but there are fewer of them. I don't think of those areas as any more rural than Rocklin or GB. In fact, I like the idea it's less populated but seems to still offer what you need. Also, do your homework on HOA and mello roos costs in some areas... especially in EDH.

Also, EDH is green right now but I'm not sure that's the case in July. Look into that, too, if it's a concern. I think you're budgeted well... similar to us... but that's lower end.

Old 09-02-2010, 12:13 PM

27 posts, read 90,932 times
Have you decided which neigborhood to buy your house? I'm looking at Folsom area too.

Old 09-03-2010, 12:55 PM

3,720 posts, read 10,005,614 times
I see the original post is quite old, but someone dug it up so there might still be interest.

I live in the neighborhood of Francisco, near Waterford. I do love it up there. The houses are about 20 years old, Waterford are all custom homes, and nice semi-custom and tract housing around that. Many of the lots are 1/4 to 1/3 acre and have lots of mature oaks and redwoods. They are building a new community park along Francisco that should be really nice when finished. It does not feel too rural in that area, unless you are craving a downtown nightlife, in which case, everything out there will be rural to you. You are close to groceries and a few restaurants, but you have quick access to Folsom via Green Valley/Blue Ravine for more restaurants and shopping.

Folsom has a lot of great neighborhoods also, but you will find for the most part there are fewer large trees and it's less hilly. Also, the lot sizes in the newer neighborhoods on the East side can be quite small, similar to Serrano in EDH. There are lots of families in these neighborhoods and great parks too.

The K-8 school district near Francisco is Rescue Union. The Rescue schools in EDH are blue Ribbon. The High School there is Oak Ridge in the El Dorado Union District. Most of the rest of EDH is in the Buckeye Union school district (K-8) which are also very good schools with Oak Ridge as the High School. There are sections of the very eastern part of Serrano and along Bass Lake road that are Rescue Union for K-8 and Ponderosa High in Cameron Park. These boundaries seem to keep changing for all the schools to manage population growth and school budget shortfalls. By the time your kids are in HS, I would expect there to be a new HS somewhere close, but really, it all depends on the economy, population growth rates, and politics!

Good luck, I hope you found a place you love.

Old 09-03-2010, 05:43 PM

433 posts, read 1,620,080 times
I live in St. Andrews off Francisco. It's nice and you can get a real nice place for $400k.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento