Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 10:11 AM

3,176 posts, read 14,698,457 times

Advertisements

I almost feel crazy for looking so far out for houses.
Back when I lived in Sac, I had only driven to Folsom a handful of times and only to go to the outlets, I've never even driven around.
I have gone past of course to Placerville and Apple hill etc...just never driven around Folsom or El Dorado Hills.

So my husband and I for kicks were looking at the homes for sale in El Dorado Hills. And I thought it was suppose to be a posh area?? There were a ton of affordable homes there. Sure not the brand new McMansions (not our style at all), but tons of older homes for like $350K!

What's up with that? I told him it was the expensive area to live and even he was like "Well, why aren't the prices crazy high then?" ummmm, I dunno.

So what's the difference of Folsom and El Dorado Hills? Same feel?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2008, 11:49 AM

702 posts, read 2,523,107 times
We feel like the cost of living to lifestyel ratio in EDH is very reasonable compared to the Chicago area which is why we want to relocate there - and also for the weather, lifestyle and foothills.

I think if you go into other areas of EDH you will find the higher prices - Serrano, Promontory or Kalithea and you will find higher end homes.

You are right though, $ for $ you get a lot.

Old 08-10-2008, 12:40 AM

406 posts, read 1,592,421 times
Before you look at either area, you might want to spend some time looking at the asbestos maps. Here is some background on the matter.

KCRA 3 Investigates: El Dorado Hills Asbestos Report - Sacramento News Story - KCRA Sacramento (http://www.kcra.com/news/4329087/detail.html - broken link)

This is the map for El Dorado County.

http://www.co.el-dorado.ca.us/emd/apcd/PDF/Map.pdf

This is the map for eastern Sacramento County.

http://www.airquality.org/compliance...AFolsomMap.pdf

If you want more detail you can read about Eastern Sacramento County here.

California Geological Survey - Special Report 192

and El Dorado County here.

California Geological Survey - Asbestos - El Dorado County

Old 08-10-2008, 08:34 PM

424 posts, read 2,696,617 times
El Dorado Hills has been hit hard by the real estate market. People in the foothills are referring to EDH as the foreclosure capitol of El Dorado County.

It might be a good time for you to get a good deal in EDH since the market in Seattle hasn't dropped like it has here.

I have several friends who live in EDH if you have specific questions. It's a very nice area and is getting lots of new shops. There are a wide range of home styles from very reasonable to Mc mansions. It's pretty safe and I see lots of people walking and jogging on EDH Blvd. The schools are excellent.

Old 08-12-2008, 04:17 PM

Kidblue has the building slowed down a lot out there? We looked in Blackstone and Promontory and it seemed like Blackstone was really on hold. Any thoughts? Also, any more news about solar homes? Will there be more or are things so bad that they just aren't even thinking about building?

I am also curious about some of these higher end new homes - how far have prices dropped and how's the job market?

Old 08-15-2008, 05:33 PM

424 posts, read 2,696,617 times
I'm hoping a realtor from El Dorado County might comment on your question, since I'm not a real estate expert. That being said, I just saw on the news that Sacramento real estate values have dropped farther than any city in the nation, over 35 percent. This could be an opportunity for people moving to the area but is hard on residents.

Blackstone seems like it's on hold right now. The developer is currently widening Latrobe Road, but I haven't seen any new homes being built. I saw on the news that this developer decided to stop their development in Rancho Cordova, but is continuing with Blackstone in El Dorado Hills and their development in Roseville.

California in general is getting into alternative energy homes and you can get a credit on your taxes, especially solar with so much sun here. The experts say the real estate market should start picking up after 2009, but for now it's causing lots of problems.

Old 08-17-2008, 11:04 AM

Hi Kid - thanks for your response. I guess we can kind of wait and see. We have some employment issues to take care of first anyway. The thought of another winter here isn't a great one, but it would also be scary to buy into a new development to find it wont get finnished and then what are you stuck with?

Old 10-04-2008, 12:55 PM

1 posts, read 13,059 times
Default A trustworthy Agent

I currently live in El Dorado Hills and have been here with my family for 4 years now. We live in the Promontory and love the area and it's close proximity to Folsom Lake and to the Folsom area in general. Now is the time to move up, great buys! Although not an abundance of REO's (Bank Owned Homes) there are opportunities to get a great deal. I watch the market daily and have found great deals on homes that are up to 40% lower then they were back in 2005-2006. Folsom is also a great place to live but has far more commercial development while EDH is a little slower paced with less change. Both areas have great schools and a wonderful family atmosphere. After the completion of Folsom's Palladio which is a new shopping mall, I no longer have any reason to drive down to the valley other than to visit friends and family. I lived in Sacramento for 15 years prior to moving up here and it just doesn't compare. People seem to have a more positive outlook up here and there is a friendlier vibe everywhere. Old school ethics and integrity, I leave my garage open, doors unlocked, and windows down in my neighborhood with no worries whatsoever. I feel blessed to be able to raise my 3 kids here and they just love it.

Old 10-05-2008, 12:30 AM

1,197 posts, read 4,782,017 times
For whatever reason El Dorado Hills has always been slightly cheaper than Folsom. Probably just because it is farther out, also the asbestos problem. Personally, I like Folsom more.

Old 10-05-2008, 09:02 PM

HWY50 - thanks for the information. We love EDH and hope to get out there soon, but the economy is in such bad shape and we don't have jobs out there right now, jobs in our industries seem to be in the Bay area.

I love the foothills, the Golden Nugget groceries, everything! I can't hear enough about it. Any other tips? Also, what about horse back riding? Places to keep a horse etc? How do you think EDH would be for a liberally minded person?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento