Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2008, 12:54 PM

1 posts, read 4,824 times

Advertisements

We're a transracial family considering a move to Folsom or EDH. We've been living in Natomas where diversity is excellent and our family looks normal. In all the threads I've read about EDH and Folsom, no one ever seems to bring up diversity. Is there any? I keep hearing about the great "family atmosphere" but is that only for white families?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2008, 01:13 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,704,361 times
This depends on what kind of diversity you want...I'd say there's more in Folsom then EDH

ON CIty Data you can look up the ethicity ratios

You'll notice it's about 75% white 12-18% Asian and the rest is sparse

And they do err on the conservative side - but that does not mean that if you are of any other race they will look down on you...I still find it friendly and open communities, just not alot of diversity

Old 11-17-2008, 07:16 PM

406 posts, read 1,593,193 times
In LA, you have wealthier hispanics moving to Whittier and wealthier African Americans living together in Baldwin Hills.

While the Sacramento region overall is fairly diverse, so far the area hasn't done a good job of creating neighborhoods like that. Part of it is probably size. There are just a lot less people in Sacramento than in the Bay Area or Los Angeles. But the area also hasn't been real successful yet in attracting educated minority members or in retaining the ones that it has created.

But I also think that is something that is changing.

In general, government is one of the places where ethnic minorities thrive. So my hunch is that you are more likely to find what you are looking for closer to downtown Sac which has a pretty large collection of government employees.

Greenhaven probably has the highest concentration of wealthy Asians in the area. Where I live out in Carmichael, they are now offering Mandarin lessons at the local high school, so I expect that will make my neighborhood much more welcoming for Asians as well.

Sacramento Mandarin School

But truthfully, if I wasn't white or asian, I probably would feel a little out of place in El Dorado Hills or Folsom for that matter. There are starting to be more east asian Indians, but I don't know that has yet become a critical mass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento