Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2009, 10:42 PM

43 posts, read 249,370 times

Advertisements

Hi! im 19 year old and a student in San Luis Obispo. Im planning on transfering to SDSU or Mesa community college(to clear up a couple last lower division classes) and I have no idea where to live in the area.

1. I would like to be semi close to the colleges, (im used to commuteing for 45 minutes but would like to cut it down)

2. I'd like it to be near a bunch of stuff to do, although i have never lived in a city more than 40,000 population so maybe this question doesnt matter.

3. I'd like to be near the coast for the weather but i have a bout 700 a month to spend on rent.

4. i have heard alot about crime in the city and stories of being carjacked and stuff, so I'd like to know if its a problem in the areas I'd be living.

5. i grew up i a town with 2,000 people and just moved to san luis obispo which has 40,000 people and it feels kind of big. how much of a shock will san diego be?

6.And lastly I own firearms and would like to go shooting or maybe carry once i become 21, how does the culture their feel about firearms and stuff like that. Basically i know its a huge city with many people and cultures, but even so i know there is still a "culture" or way of living about the city or "vibe" and i'd like to know what that is.

Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 11:23 AM

406 posts, read 1,593,489 times
You will get better results if you post in the SD forum. That said the areas with the highest densities of students in SD are going to be either in Pacific Beach or in the apartment complexes near SDSU. For 700 a month in San Diego, you will probably need to share a place.

As for moving to SD, culturally it probably will be a bit of a shock, but you are also at an age where you will probably adjust pretty quickly to it. You might want to leave the firearms at home intially if you are sharing a place. It might make it more difficult to find a roommate if you have a gun. But after you make some friends, you will probably be able to figure out who is and who isn't comfortable with guns and you should be able to find a place with your gun tolerant friends.

Old 02-26-2009, 12:25 PM

43 posts, read 249,370 times
thanks! yeah i posted it here by accident, i reposted in san diego. yeah thats what i did when i moved to SLO, left them at home, but my roomates don't care about them so i can bring them back

yeah im planning to share a house. i was mostly concernd about commute times and i have heard that one street will have nice houses and the next one over will have bars on the windows and more crime, so i was trying to get a feel of the good areas and stay away from the bad.

Old 02-26-2009, 01:39 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,797,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElliottJM View Post
thanks! yeah i posted it here by accident, i reposted in san diego. yeah thats what i did when i moved to SLO, left them at home, but my roomates don't care about them so i can bring them back

yeah im planning to share a house. i was mostly concernd about commute times and i have heard that one street will have nice houses and the next one over will have bars on the windows and more crime, so i was trying to get a feel of the good areas and stay away from the bad.

yes, you will need a room mate, but that should be quite easy. Your best bet is 1-decide which school you will attend and then, visit the school hoursing dept. I am not sure if a Jr college will have one, but San Diego State would for sure.

Nita

ps; you will not be able to live near the beach, both commute time and price.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento