Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 08:43 PM

12 posts, read 46,617 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I am in my thirties, single. I am currently renting, and I am in the market to buy a property in Sacramento.

I am looking for something under 200k, that's nice and in a safe neighborhood and close to downtown. I am not sure if I want a house or a condo - if it's a condo, I would prefer having a low HOA fee with no pool or rec room, which I would never use. I work in Natomas and I'd like to have a short commute.

Do you know of any places in Sacramento that are good places for a single person to buy and live in that sort of meet those criteria? I've lived here to three years and I am still not sure where that might be. Thanks for any advice!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2013, 10:58 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,285,320 times
There are some older condos downtown (with relatively cheap HOA as they aren't very upscale) that are for sale in the $150-200K range, Somerset Parkside at 10th and P Street and another at 2nd and Q. They aren't very new or fancy but the neighborhood is quiet (mostly state offices) and within walking distance of city amenities (farmer's market, museums, nightclubs, restaurants, parks) and close to Interstate 5 for your commute.

Old 11-17-2013, 12:02 PM

Here are links to the MLS pages:

Somerset Parkside:
Homes - MLS - sacbee.com

220 P Street:
Homes - MLS - sacbee.com

Other than that, the only places under $250K close to downtown are fixers, or in parts of Oak Park that don't meet the criterion of "safe neighborhood" yet. But a short commute will save you a lot of money in the long run--and having a central city property will let you leverage into a nicer/bigger place later should you decide you need it. Keep an eye on Metrolist, though, as a lot of properties are being dumped right now and it's the slowest time of the year, thus a good time for buyers who keep their eyes open.

Old 11-18-2013, 12:40 PM

80 posts, read 206,804 times
In your price range I would skip downtown. I would look more at West Sac, or Natomas if you are looking for something new or maybe older neighborhoods like Tahoe Park, Hollywood Park, College Greens or Del Paso Manor or Cottage Park in Arden Arcade. All of these areas are pretty close to downtown, reasonably safe and in your price range.

Del Paso Manor Real Estate & Del Paso Manor Arden-Arcade Homes for Sale | Redfin

Cottage Park Real Estate & Cottage Park Arden-Arcade Homes for Sale | Redfin

Hollywood Park Real Estate & Hollywood Park Sacramento Homes for Sale | Redfin

Carleton Tract Real Estate & Carleton Tract Sacramento Homes for Sale | Redfin

Real Estate Search | Redfin

Old 11-27-2013, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
Here are links to the MLS pages:

Somerset Parkside:
Homes - MLS - sacbee.com

220 P Street:
Homes - MLS - sacbee.com

Other than that, the only places under $250K close to downtown are fixers, or in parts of Oak Park that don't meet the criterion of "safe neighborhood" yet. But a short commute will save you a lot of money in the long run--and having a central city property will let you leverage into a nicer/bigger place later should you decide you need it. Keep an eye on Metrolist, though, as a lot of properties are being dumped right now and it's the slowest time of the year, thus a good time for buyers who keep their eyes open.
I hope you are right about there being more inventory during the winter. I am concerned that I missed out on one of the best buying periods in Sacramento history, and there might not be much left.

I am not that into the Somerset Parkside condos...they have a really high HOA fee and they are small units.

Does anyone know of any complexes that have a low HOA fee which are near Downtown? For instance, this one in the Arden Arcade area was pretty nice and I put an offer on it, but someone else got it
1049 Bell Street #9, Sacramento CA - Trulia

What do you guys think of the Arden Arcade area?

Old 11-27-2013, 01:12 PM

There are only a few condo places in downtown/midtown Sacramento, so there just isn't a lot to choose from, and $250K and under is absolutely bargain-basement these days. Arden Arcade isn't near downtown, it isn't even in the Sacramento city limits, and recently it has become a less safe place to live, especially in the inexpensive parts.

Another place opened up at 200 P Street for $220K, bigger than Somerset Parkside:

Homes - MLS - sacbee.com

Old 11-30-2013, 06:35 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,844,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allamerican02 View Post
Does anyone know of any complexes that have a low HOA fee which are near Downtown? For instance, this one in the Arden Arcade area was pretty nice and I put an offer on it, but someone else got it
1049 Bell Street #9, Sacramento CA - Trulia

What do you guys think of the Arden Arcade area?
The area near Bell St is full of Sac State students. is that ok with you? If so, there are other condo complexes in that area, such as Timberlake.

If you can't find anything downtown or in midtown, you may want to consider south Natomas, the Del Paso Blvd area or West Sac. Actually, West Sac may be one of your better options.

Old 12-01-2013, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
The area near Bell St is full of Sac State students. is that ok with you? If so, there are other condo complexes in that area, such as Timberlake.

If you can't find anything downtown or in midtown, you may want to consider south Natomas, the Del Paso Blvd area or West Sac. Actually, West Sac may be one of your better options.
I am considering anything that is within about 10 miles of downtown Sac. So that includes Arden Arcade. I have noticed the crime issue there...I think I am only considering condos in that area since they are fenced off.

I heard (and saw from driving around) that West Sac is ghetto. Isn't that true? The Del Paso Area seems to be a little ghetto too.

What do you guys think of North Natomas, like where Village 7 is? It seems that North Natomas is the only area where you can find affordable, clean neighborhoods. The only inconvenience is that it is far away and kind of isolated. I guess this is all about compromises.

Old 12-01-2013, 08:58 PM

West Sacramento is a more working-class city in general; factories, trucking, the port, closer proximity to farmland still used for farms. There are some rather nice condos/skinny houses near the Sacramento River near the I Street bridge, but they might be above your top price threshold, while farther south, the Southport area is brand-new residential suburbs, but I don't know if there are condos for sale. I'd pick West Sacramento over Del Paso Boulevard in terms of safety, proximity to downtown and amenities.

Old 12-01-2013, 10:51 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,844,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allamerican02 View Post
I heard (and saw from driving around) that West Sac is ghetto. Isn't that true? The Del Paso Area seems to be a little ghetto too.

What do you guys think of North Natomas, like where Village 7 is? It seems that North Natomas is the only area where you can find affordable, clean neighborhoods. The only inconvenience is that it is far away and kind of isolated. I guess this is all about compromises.
I'm not familiar with Village 7 in No Natomas. It looks ok on the map. I personally wouldn't want to live out there, as it is a flood plan. There is lots of info out there on this subject. Angelique Ashby: Sacramento City Council » Natomas Levee Improvement Project – Updates & Information

I'm not sure what you mean by ghetto. Everyone has a different definition. What's yours?

I think it's going to be hard to meet your criteria - < 200k, nice, a safe neighborhood and close to downtown - Many of the neighborhoods with that criteria will be on the older, rundown, & possibly ghetto-ish side. You will definitately have to make some compromises. Have you considered Elk Grove? It meets all your requirements except close to downtown.

Another idea, although I don't know of any condos there (yet, there are some being built) would be Oak Park (there's patio homes on 34th just off Hwy 50 but I'm sure they are >200k), or Tahoe Park....most of these neighborhoods are single family homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento