Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 11:09 AM

34 posts, read 200,540 times

Advertisements

We really want to buy a home in a nice, safe neighborhood with good schools for our young children. (My husband works in Carmichael, but we'd like something a little nicer than that.) Unfortunately, our price range for a home (about 325k) seems like "almost enough" to be able to afford a 3 bdrm on an average-sized lot in a good neighborhood.

I've done lots of searches on Roseville and Folsom, but I am still confused. Could anyone share their opinions on parts of Roseville and Folsom where you would not want to live?

In Folsom, inexpensive homes come up sometimes on Wales Dr. and School St., and around other streets right near Ed Mitchell park. Is anyone familiar with this area? I have heard that the street names "Duchow" and "Talisman" are in bad areas, but I am unsure how far these bad areas extend.

In Roseville, I have read enough to know that we should stay away from the Railroad tracks, and Old Roseville. But I still don't know exactly what this means... if anyone has any street names or areas around certain parks to throw out as being undesirable, I'd greatly appreciate it.

I've also read to avoid areas south of Cirby in East Roseville as well as the areas around the fairgrounds. Does this ring true?

Thanks for any help. I really appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2008, 09:43 PM

1,197 posts, read 4,781,797 times
IMO, all areas of Folsom are great, even the older, cheaper ones. Folsom is a great place to live and raise kids, I would probably recommend it over Roseville. Roseville has some semi-sketchy areas but I'm not too familiar with the area.

Old 01-22-2008, 10:13 PM

590 posts, read 931,376 times
Default From a Folsom Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by cag25 View Post

In Folsom, inexpensive homes come up sometimes on Wales Dr. and School St., and around other streets right near Ed Mitchell park. Is anyone familiar with this area? I have heard that the street names "Duchow" and "Talisman" are in bad areas, but I am unsure how far these bad areas extend.

Thanks for any help. I really appreciate it!
Hello,
The previous poster was almost right but there are parts of Folsom that are not great and you said one of the area's in your OP. Wales Dr. is not good especially Wales between Natoma and E. Bidwell. When you get back in there you run into a lot of small old homes mixed in with small old duplexes and the type of people that can only afford to rent small old homes in an otherwise expensive city. Mormon St. at Riley is not good, nor is Figueroa at Riley. Bidwell St between Folsom Blvd. and Riley is not good either. We had an attempted murder/suicide the other day but the husband only succeded in killing himself-his wife lived. This was on Sibley St. I live in the newer section of Folsom in the Empire Ranch area and everything is nice out here.

I don't know all of Folsom but the old area is very hit and miss. There are some great old homes in old town but the biggest problem is traffic. Many people, including myself use the old town streets as a go between for Folsom Blvd and Riley St and Folsom Blvd and E. Bidwell because going through old town on Riley can be awful. If you're intent in living in the old town area where it is cheaper just stay off the main streets and look for side streets.

FYI, the Folsom Police Dept. lists their incidents on their website so you can go check that out and see the streets where they respond the most to.

Old 01-22-2008, 11:58 PM

325 posts, read 1,472,976 times
I wouldn't buy a home in the neighborhood East of E. Bidwell, but not because I wouldn't live there (though Talisman is a street to avoid). I wouldn't buy there because of resale. The historic district has great homes and is a very tight, well-knit community, which IMO can more than make up for the newer areas where nobody knows their neighbors and relies on the HOA.

If you plan on living in the area for a long time, it's a different story. But resale is huge to me and that's why I wouldn't look at some areas.

Even the "worst" Folsom elementary school is full of great teachers and students. Blanche Sprentz, which serves the Wales/E Bidwell neighborhood is a hidden gem of a school.

ps. the attempted murder/suicide was a freak occurrence. These types of crimes can happen anywhere, just like one happened last year in the squeaky-clean, new Broadstone area.

Old 01-23-2008, 12:01 AM

325 posts, read 1,472,976 times
Additionally, rent first to get an idea of the areas before you commit to buy. Not only is it a good long-term choice, homes will continue to drop in price and your choices will expand.

Old 01-23-2008, 09:53 AM

ps. the attempted murder/suicide was a freak occurrence. These types of crimes can happen anywhere, just like one happened last year in the squeaky-clean, new Broadstone area.

That's true it was a freak think, just like the knife wielding loon who killed his relative and was then shot by the neighbor in the middle of the street. Even though that technically happened in El Dorado hills it was still just two miles from where I live in Folsom.
I still wouldn't live on Sibley St. though.

Old 01-23-2008, 03:31 PM

5 posts, read 38,522 times
I lived in Old Roseville for the last 4 years and loved it. There are some really nice old houses with character. We lived in the area nearer to Royer Park, between Roseville Square and Royer Park. You do have to be careful when looking though, I wouldn't live in old Roseville over along Main Street, over in our are, it was really nice and convenient.

Old 01-24-2008, 07:16 PM

527 posts, read 1,323,290 times
I have relatives in both of the bad areas that you have referred to and I have yet to see either of them as "bad areas." They are both the older neighbordhoods of quickly expanding cities that have fantastic new developments that make the older homes look like crime areas, but they really aren't like that. You are talking about ROSEVILLE and FOLSOM, not florin or stockton blvd. But do you see what I mean? I have spent a **** load of time in both of these bad areas and it simply is not like that. It is just an old district surrounded by brand new homes. Just my personal experience.

Old 01-24-2008, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob98LS1 View Post
I have relatives in both of the bad areas that you have referred to and I have yet to see either of them as "bad areas." They are both the older neighbordhoods of quickly expanding cities that have fantastic new developments that make the older homes look like crime areas, but they really aren't like that. You are talking about ROSEVILLE and FOLSOM, not florin or stockton blvd. But do you see what I mean? I have spent a **** load of time in both of these bad areas and it simply is not like that. It is just an old district surrounded by brand new homes. Just my personal experience.
Riiiggghhhhht!!! This coming from the guy who's asking for people's opinions on where to live in some of the most expensive developments in all of Northern California. And isn't it convenient that you just happen to have relatives living in those exact area's I spoke of? After all, if you know someone who lives there then you've got first person experience and that, of course, makes everyone else wrong because they're just outsiders. If the bad parts of Folsom aren't so bad why don't you go buy a home on Wales St. or Mormon St. and live quietly ever after in a 30 year old 900sqf duplex. No? Ok, I understand. I wouldn't want to live there either.

BTW, I wasn't comparing the bad parts of Folsom to Florin Rd, I was comparing them to the rest of Folsom. And compared to the rest of Folsom, which is nice, the places that I mentioned are the bad places.

Old 01-24-2008, 08:04 PM

527 posts, read 1,323,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMan View Post
Riiiggghhhhht!!! This coming from the guy who's asking for people's opinions on where to live in some of the most expensive developments in all of Northern California. And isn't it convenient that you just happen to have relatives living in those exact area's I spoke of? After all, if you know someone who lives there then you've got first person experience and that, of course, makes everyone else wrong because they're just outsiders. If the bad parts of Folsom aren't so bad why don't you go buy a home on Wales St. or Mormon St. and live quietly ever after in a 30 year old 900sqf duplex. No? Ok, I understand. I wouldn't want to live there either.

BTW, I wasn't comparing the bad parts of Folsom to Florin Rd, I was comparing them to the rest of Folsom. And compared to the rest of Folsom, which is nice, the places that I mentioned are the bad places.

No, I know where to live in the most expensive of places, I was asking life experiences in those communities. Is it convenient... as in I'm lying? I have spent many evening walking the streets of old town folsom and old roseville througout the 90's and even now visiting with my aunt, and my grandmother. And I felt very safe and comfortable in both areas, I can't say that it is a bad neighborhood, even when you compare it to the 4k sq ft. homes you see being built now right by those areas. Sorry for the mix up there about the comparison i took it out of context. Those areas are older true, but I wouldn't say they are bad compared to new folsom because of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento