Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2023, 11:16 PM

855 posts, read 451,452 times

Advertisements

Is it just me or is summer heat coming later each year now, as if spring is longer.

Almost seems like summer has been slowly shortening. Fall cooling down hasn’t really pushed back.

This isn’t just Sac.

Would be a great development.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2023, 10:06 AM

1,951 posts, read 2,298,854 times
where I live summer comes early every year and lasts to November what varies is how many 110 degree or more days there are year to year

Old 06-20-2023, 02:11 AM

3,472 posts, read 5,263,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
TS,
Reservoirs can and do destroy the natural habitat, riparian areas. Reservoirs destroy wildlife, and the environment. SoCal should use their own water that naturally occurs where you live, don't steal(buy, take) it from other environments where it naturally occurs. In SoCal's case take it from the ocean near where you live.

Regarding AG in the San Joaquin Valley, some of that AG needs better management and control. They have already destroyed the once beautiful San Joaquin River. Maybe the San Joaquin Valley and SoCal can steal the water away from the Pacific Northwest where it is plentyful. They already have taken some much from NorCal and Colorado.

Hetch Hetchy was once a huge beautiful Sierra Valley very much like Yosemite Valley, the hyprocrites in SF destroyed it. Its time SF and SoCal learn other ways of obtaining water. Like learning to move away from fossil fuels for energy, SoCal and Coastal Cali need to learn to stop taking water away from where it naturally occurs and flows....Yes, they are stealing it.
I still don't understand why it's so bad to transport water from reservoirs to cities, any more than it is to transport produce from the country to the cities. Sacramento is really the only major city in the state to be next to a river, so the rest of the state shouldn't even exist, including the Bay Area. But if we want to reduce the burden on the environment, then the best solution, which is being done down here, is water recycling. Way more efficient than desalination.

Old 06-20-2023, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticpearl View Post
Is it just me or is summer heat coming later each year now, as if spring is longer.

Almost seems like summer has been slowly shortening. Fall cooling down hasn’t really pushed back.

This isn’t just Sac.

Would be a great development.
I think it's just you TBH. During recent drought years, it was pretty hot early in the season. It looks like last June had 18 days above 90f. This year, barely breaking 80f. I ll

Old 06-20-2023, 08:06 AM

2,396 posts, read 1,067,965 times
Always bugs me when people type "weather" when it should be "climate".....
maybe I'm being picky ...but they are two different things ....
weather = short term
climate = long term

I agree with OP ....the Sacramento climate is pretty good ....not as good as San Diego...
but better than 90% of the U.S.

Old 06-20-2023, 02:40 PM

6,906 posts, read 8,275,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
I still don't understand why it's so bad to transport water from reservoirs to cities, any more than it is to transport produce from the country to the cities. Sacramento is really the only major city in the state to be next to a river, so the rest of the state shouldn't even exist, including the Bay Area. But if we want to reduce the burden on the environment, then the best solution, which is being done down here, is water recycling. Way more efficient than desalination.
1. When you build a reservoir you are flooding an area that should not be flooded permanently.

2. When you divert water from where it naturally flows you destroy riparian habitats which support countless areas of wildlife.

3. When you divert water from where it naturally flows and rests, you destroy beautiful seasonal lakes, ponds, vernal pools, and streams. NorCal and Central Cal were abundant with these types of seasonal riparian areas. Even SoCal had these riparian areas in small numbers and not as large but instead you have the hellish concrete LA river. The riparian areas of the San Joaquin Valley, which there were many, have disappeared that is why huge parts the San Joaquin Vally look like a desert.

4. When you divert water from where it naturally flows you rob the water table, the ground water from replenishing itself.

5. Before we started damning the rivers and streams, NorCal and Central Cal were abundant with diverse species of Salmon. We robbed the land, the people, the natives of important resources. And we are still doing that. Back in the 1840-60's California put a Grizzly Bear on its flag because at the time Grizzly Bears were abundant all over the State especially the Central Valley. Why were they so abundant? In part, because our Rivers and Streams were full of Salmon.

6. Like the San Joaquin Valley, the Sacramento Valley has suffered too, they say 90% of riparian habitats have disappeared along the Sacramento and American Rivers........which is mind-boggling, I can only imagine how beautiful those areas used to be. They are still quite beautiful so I can only imagine. The Vernal Pools of the lower foothills and higher elevations of the Central Valley have suffered greatly as well.

7. We paid a big price to have flood control in Sacramento but we mitigated for it and at least we didn't destroy someone else's habitat for own selfish needs. That would we be like if NorCal started taking water (any resource, really) from San Diego that resulted in the 70 miles of San Diego coast line to be destroyed so we could have that resource. (It's bad enough that San Diego beaches are polluted by neglectful sewer management of the Tijuana River)

8. The defining difference between NorCal and SoCal in terms of climate, the land, the geography, wildlife and quality of life is WATER, SoCal and Coastal Cal destroyed what little they had and they have been destroying other parts of the country including NorCal; It needs to stop.

Last edited by Chimérique; 06-20-2023 at 03:16 PM..

Old 06-20-2023, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB365 View Post
weather = short term
climate = long term

I agree with OP ....the Sacramento climate is pretty good ....not as good as San Diego...
Agree -- I live in San Diego and LOVE the climate. The weather, however, isn't always that great (it has been for the past five days though!)

Old 06-20-2023, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
1. When you build a reservoir you are flooding an area that should not be flooded permanently.

2. When you divert water from where it naturally flows you destroy riparian habitats which support countless areas of wildlife.

3. When you divert water from where it naturally flows and rests, you destroy beautiful seasonal lakes, ponds, vernal pools, and streams. NorCal and Central Cal were abundant with these types of seasonal riparian areas. Even SoCal had these riparian areas in small numbers and not as large but instead you have the hellish concrete LA river. The riparian areas of the San Joaquin Valley, which there were many, have disappeared that is why huge parts the San Joaquin Vally look like a desert.

4. When you divert water from where it naturally flows you rob the water table, the ground water from replenishing itself.

5. Before we started damning the rivers and streams, NorCal and Central Cal were abundant with diverse species of Salmon. We robbed the land, the people, the natives of important resources. And we are still doing that. Back in the 1840-60's California put a Grizzly Bear on its flag because at the time Grizzly Bears were abundant all over the State especially the Central Valley. Why were they so abundant? In part, because our Rivers and Streams were full of Salmon.

6. Like the San Joaquin Valley, the Sacramento Valley has suffered too, they say 90% of riparian habitats have disappeared along the Sacramento and American Rivers........which is mind-boggling, I can only imagine how beautiful those areas used to be. They are still quite beautiful so I can only imagine. The Vernal Pools of the lower foothills and higher elevations of the Central Valley have suffered greatly as well.

7. We paid a big price to have flood control in Sacramento but we mitigated for it and at least we didn't destroy someone else's habitat for own selfish needs. That would we be like if NorCal started taking water (any resource, really) from San Diego that resulted in the 70 miles of San Diego coast line to be destroyed so we could have that resource. (It's bad enough that San Diego beaches are polluted by neglectful sewer management of the Tijuana River)

8. The defining difference between NorCal and SoCal in terms of climate, the land, the geography, wildlife and quality of life is WATER, SoCal and Coastal Cal destroyed what little they had and they have been destroying other parts of the country including NorCal; It needs to stop.
I actually do agree with your points in the context of environmentalism. We've destroyed our natural habitat in this state to a large extent. Reservoirs are destructive, and essentially, we could say that California's population distribution never made any sense from a hydrological perspective. Most of the water is the northernmost part of the state, which is the least populated. Sacramento makes sense on the river, but the Bay Area and SoCal really don't. To be sustainable, really the Sacramento Valley should have been the most built up, but instead, most of the dense population centers in the state are in areas that could never sustain themselves without water imports. My only disagreement with you is that I felt you painted with too broad a brush to say NorCal (as a whole) essentially deserves the state's water while SoCal doesn't, because the Bay Area does the same thing SoCal does and imports water. And the Bay Area IMO lags far behind SoCal in water conservation habits. San Diego has reduced per-capita water consumption by fifty percent in the past thirty years and has been proactive in becoming less reliant on imported water with great success (at a financial cost). In the Bay Area, I still see people putting in huge lawns and watering them every day. So my point is simply that if you want to argue that water belongs to its place of origin, then don't give a pass to the Bay Area just because it's in "NorCal" but in reality still hundreds of miles from most of its imported water sources. If you're a large water importer, it doesn't matter if you're in NorCal or SoCal, because you're still part of the problem.

Now I have to ask... do you feel that Central Valley agriculture should have never happened bc it destroyed natural habitats? How much conversion of nature to human use is acceptable, and in what balance? This is a very broad question for all of us to think about. Only in recent years has this issue of sustainability really become front and center. While we can't turn the clock backwards and move our cities, it's good that cities are rethinking their use of natural resources in how they develop.

Old 06-20-2023, 07:48 PM

6PM, Early Evening, June 20, 2023

TS, I'll respond in a moment ^^^

All these UC's are 10-12 miles from their respective big-city downtowns.

San Francisco 59F
UC Berkeley 66F

UC San Diego 66F
San Diego 68F

UC Los Angeles 71F
Los Angeles 72F

Sacramento 73F
UC Davis 75F

Old 06-21-2023, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB365 View Post
weather = short term
climate = long term

Thanks for reminding us. The Sacramento Climate is pretty awesome, and the weather, most of the time, :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento