Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 04:33 PM

1 posts, read 1,453 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I are both in our mid 20s and currently live in San Luis Obispo. His job is being transferred to Rancho in January next year (he's going to be working in the old HP building on Data Dr.). I'm having some trouble figuring out a safe place to rent in an active neighborhood. No kids so schools aren't important to us but we do have a dog and a cat so a place with a yard is important. Our budget is around 2k a month max (were living in a 700 sqft house right now for $1750 so very excited to possibly have some more space!). My boyfriend doesn't mind a 20 minute commute, what areas would you guys recommend for us? Any advice is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2013, 07:13 PM

556 posts, read 788,611 times
Looks like rentals are cheaper than what you're currently paying. Homes for Rent in Rancho Cordova - Rental Homes in California

Old 07-14-2013, 11:53 PM

121 posts, read 162,766 times
Coming from SLO, I highly doubt you will like Rancho Cordova. While there are sorta ok areas, it's not the greatest of areas. With the amount you are able to spend, I would suggest Fair Oaks (which is where we live). While no where is perfect, it is safer. It is across the American River from RC ... probably a 30 min drive during commute hours. During non-commute hours, 15 mins.

I would google map/street view and check things out. I don't have the link handy but you can google Sacramento Co crime mapper to get a good idea of things too.

Feel free to message me if you have questions

Old 07-15-2013, 12:29 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,843,149 times
For $2k/mo you could rent in Folsom which is also close to the American River Pkwy, Folsom Lake and is interconnected with neighborhood bike/walking trails. If you do decide to stay near RC, the nicer areas would be anywhere south of 50, like Anatolia/ Kavala Ranch. Gold River is very nicetoo, and is a mature, planned development north of 50 but before the American River. You would have easy access the river and walking trails. Fair Oaks would be further up Sunrise Blvd past the river, but I'm not sure it would meet the 20 minute commute time, especially during times of heavy traffic. There is also a newer village-concept development, Capitol Village, close to Data Drive. There are several different styles of homes and it's close to shopping.

Old 07-15-2013, 12:45 AM

290 posts, read 544,521 times
I would choose folsom over fair oaks personally. The drive will be much better than driving from fair oaks. You might want to look and see if their is a rental in the Capital Village area in rancho cordova. Its very close to Data drive.

Here is a nice video walk through of the area (capital village)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzEgrShyrc0

Old 07-15-2013, 07:34 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Depending on your interests I would check out both the Fair Oaks area and Folsom. Folsom will be a lot better commute, like someone mentioned but both areas will have nice, safe areas and activities for the young and young at heart.

Old 07-15-2013, 08:20 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,843,149 times
Anatolia/Kavala Ranch are beautiful planned developments So of 50 in RC and should also be considered. You get more 'bang for the buck' there (newer, bigger yards, etc) and it will be a much better commute than all the other places mentioned, except Capitol Village.

Old 07-15-2013, 09:46 AM

3,720 posts, read 9,999,504 times
20something, no kids. I would say you should look closer to the city. You could get to midtown or east sac in 20 minutes and it would be reverse traffic. We have a lot of info on those areas in this forum, just do a search.

Anatolia is a nice community, but you would be a long way from any nightlife.

Old 07-15-2013, 11:24 AM

409 posts, read 957,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinaN View Post
20something, no kids. I would say you should look closer to the city. You could get to midtown or east sac in 20 minutes and it would be reverse traffic. We have a lot of info on those areas in this forum, just do a search.

Anatolia is a nice community, but you would be a long way from any nightlife.
I would agree with the above and I live in Anatolia. Lots of families including young families with kids...priorities are different...For twenty somethings with no kids and wanting to rent...Midtown would be the place to check out.

Old 07-15-2013, 12:34 PM

121 posts, read 162,766 times
Oh...I agree...Folsom is awesome too! I think Folsom has a bit better access to the bike trails and is a very nice place. I would live in Folsom in a heartbeat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento