Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 06:29 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,061,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntieJen View Post
You know, my family is very multicultural. My sister and I both married Hispanic men, two cousins married African American men, I have Indians, Native Americans, and Asians in my family. All of the kids in the family (15 and younger) are mixed race and some sort of darker than white color. The only ones who have experienced any racism are my husband's parents when they lived in the South. And that was from white people.

That is not to discount your experiences, but I do think that here, in California, racsim almost nonexistent compared to other parts of the country and other parts of the world.
I agree with this 100%.

Old 03-04-2012, 08:48 PM

90 posts, read 202,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
I agree with this 100%.

Good, I would hope that you feel comfortable here, and everyone else for that matter. I love our multicultural area and I appreciate the influences each race/ethnicity/culture adds

Old 03-05-2012, 02:20 AM

39 posts, read 59,669 times
Quote:
As for the original poster...there are also some nice neighborhoods north of Sacramento. I live about 30 minutes north in the Yuba Sutter area and love it. I live in a nice house in a rural neighborhood. I can see sheep, goats, horses, cows, coyotes, rabbits and much much more on a regular basis. A lot of people will tell you that we are a bunch of hillbilly rednecks, but that is mostly because they have never ventured to check us out. As for culture; I believe that every area has culture, you just have to seek it out.

Oh, and I have lived in Sacramento, San Francisco, and NYC. So I do have a lot to compare it to.
thanks for the advice, your place sounds great! Im typically a country boy myself, i bowhunt regularly for meat and i like big trucks, dirt bikes, guns, knives, camping, nature and so on. Having said that, i dont condone being a drunkard, being illegal, harming or endangering people. I like to live in wide open spaces with not a lot of neighbours and lots of privacy, but i dont mind loud opinionated people enjoying themselves around me......does that make me a redneck and will i fit in?

Old 03-05-2012, 07:50 PM

90 posts, read 202,081 times
I'm not sure if it makes you a redneck, but you would probably fit in We have a lot of hunters up here, most houses have guns, lots of camping options nearby (but that is true of all of the greater Sacramento area) and lots of land. Depending on whether you choose a neighborhood or a more rural home, you could have anywhere from 1/4 acre of land to many acres of land.

Considering our lot tends to be a political bunch and we have lots of extreme opposites, we do have some opinionated people, but who doesn't really? haha.

But to be fair, I should probably tell you what keeps some people away...Our area is depressed so there are no jobs (but a lot of us work in Sac...it is an easy drive) and the whole central valley is dealing with some severe drug problems. If you don't partake and teach your kids not to, it shouldn't be a problem, but it is always something to consider. I don't know how that compares to Australia.

Old 03-06-2012, 12:23 AM

Quote:
I'm not sure if it makes you a redneck, but you would probably fit in We have a lot of hunters up here, most houses have guns, lots of camping options nearby (but that is true of all of the greater Sacramento area) and lots of land. Depending on whether you choose a neighborhood or a more rural home, you could have anywhere from 1/4 acre of land to many acres of land.

Considering our lot tends to be a political bunch and we have lots of extreme opposites, we do have some opinionated people, but who doesn't really? haha.

But to be fair, I should probably tell you what keeps some people away...Our area is depressed so there are no jobs (but a lot of us work in Sac...it is an easy drive) and the whole central valley is dealing with some severe drug problems. If you don't partake and teach your kids not to, it shouldn't be a problem, but it is always something to consider. I don't know how that compares to Australia.
ha ha, thanks AuntieJen, yes very sad about the depression and the drugs in your area, and it compares just about the same to lots of Australia, no different. I'll be starting our first US Christian church somewhere in Sacramento so it will be great to bring the Gospel of freedom to all.

Old 03-06-2012, 01:04 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,884,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by News1234 View Post
ha ha, thanks AuntieJen, yes very sad about the depression and the drugs in your area, and it compares just about the same to lots of Australia, no different. I'll be starting our first US Christian church somewhere in Sacramento so it will be great to bring the Gospel of freedom to all.
The first US Christian "australian" church? What's that like? Are you under a specific denomination? Maybe you should start another topic and tell us about it. Sounds wonderful. I completely agree, though others will not, with the gospel message of freedom.

Old 03-06-2012, 02:39 PM

1,472 posts, read 3,556,609 times
Without tossing any racial connotations into the mix I'd suggest the eastern suburbs - Roseville/Folsom on up the hill. Its just prettier and nicer.

Old 03-06-2012, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
The first US Christian "australian" church? What's that like? Are you under a specific denomination? Maybe you should start another topic and tell us about it. Sounds wonderful. I completely agree, though others will not, with the gospel message of freedom.
ha ha, no, not an 'australian' christian church, 'OUR' (our Ministry's) first US Church lol. My wife and i were called to start a church in mid 2004, it has become an apostolic ministry which has six churches in Australia, in mid 2011 the word of the Lord came to me to go to CA USA and start the work there, we have since registered our Ministry in the USA and are making plans to start the first church in the Sac area. bless you!

Last edited by News1234; 03-06-2012 at 10:13 PM..

Old 03-06-2012, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffredo View Post
Without tossing any racial connotations into the mix I'd suggest the eastern suburbs - Roseville/Folsom on up the hill. Its just prettier and nicer.

thanks jeff!

Old 03-07-2012, 02:23 PM

6 posts, read 9,567 times
It sounds like you would really enjoy Shingle Springs, about a 45 minute drive east of Sac. It is in the low foothills with lots of oak trees and manzanita; it is beautiful there. It is above the fog and below the snow. Auburn is similar, a little higher in elevation. However, Placer County (the county where Auburn is located) is a bit pricier,in general, than El Dorado County (where Shingle Springs is located).

You can also look into Wilton and Herald, on the south east end of Sacramento County. We are cheaper down here than Shingle Springs and Auburn. It is nice down here because even though we are on the outskirts of Sacramento, you still have the Mom and Pop shops that tell you to take home a saddle, try it out and come back and pay tomorrow if it fits. Or, the owner that tells you to call or come find him when you get to his shop, as he'll be visiting the shop next door. You'll find a huge mix of houses from a leaning mobile home next door to a million dollar mansion.

Good luck in your search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento