Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 04:31 PM

39 posts, read 59,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectroPlumber View Post
I'd be careful saying that in public when you are visiting here. Although I agree that most people are pretty relaxed about race here, a LOT of people have a mixture of ancestries in their background and you can't really tell everything about a person by his appearance. It's not like other parts of the U.S. (or maybe Australia--I've never been there) where it may be easier to tell a person's background from appearances.

Also, multiracial couples are very common here. So, I'd discipline myself to not use racial descriptions when taking about people in public. You might be talking to someone who has a partner who has a multicultural background. The demographics of the U.S. are rapidly ( and I do mean rapidly) changing and California is on the forefront.

It's better to just ask what are the good and bad neighborhoods. You will find that the crime problems in certain areas around here are the real problems, not race.
thanks for the advice its good to learn about this stuff however, your writing to me seems to infer that i have possibly accused certain race/races as being 'racist' or 'criminal'. I have not done so at all. Is this the way many people in the US would take such a post even though ive written nor infered anything of the sort? thanks

Old 03-02-2012, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Opinionated View Post
As if non white folks make a practice of harming people for being white? That makes about as much sense as banning someone from college for not being ethnic enough.
looks like you dont read, where did i write that?

Old 03-02-2012, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydro View Post
Any metro city in the u.s. Would be acceptable for any foreigner. Being australian, you should be fine anywhere, but I'd try for hawaaii to shorten your flight
lol, thanks

Old 03-02-2012, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
I know. Maybe the OP didn't mean anything by it and I'll give him a pass, because he's a foreigner, but I see posts like this a lot on CD, especially in the NYC forum.

It never fails to have posts like these:

"White girl moving to Harlem - is it safe?"

"White girl moving to (insert neighborhood name) in the Bronx. Will I be safe?"

"White girl moving to (insert neighborhood name) in Brooklyn. Will I be safe? Oh, I have blonde hair and blue eyes. Will this make me an even bigger target?"

"White family from Kansas moving to NYC. What's a good neighborhood?"

Like seriously, black and brown people aren't thinking about WHITES as much as they THINK we are. Many really need to get over themselves.

They got messed up white neighborhoods in NYC too, but no one wants to talk about those just like they do in California.

I wouldn't dare live in a hillbilly, redneck biker neighborhood in California for ANY reason no matter how much money I'd save in rent.

I'll take my chances in traditionally black and brown poor areas, thank you very much.
your right, i didnt mean anything by the post, but the post clearly shows that ...unless your an overly sensitive person and upset about something, in which case a person will take it out on me.

Fact is, my wife is brown skinned and if i were black, hyspanic, mexican, native indian, or otherwise, id also be asking the same question. It just seems that some people believe because ive posted it as a white man that im infering crime and evil towards a race.

As a young man i lived with an ex vietnam veteran from omaha nebraska and he was fiercly racist as a white man, he would refer to how his many would speak and treat people of another race, and it was a disgrace. Ive also been warned by Californians about straying into certain neighbourhoods.

Whats my point? if Americans have told me certain things about their home, i think its a simple matter of respect towards the good people of america not to mention 'wise' for me to search out such matters so that i do not upset anyone who themselves might be racist and intolerant of a white person. None the less, its good to hear from numerous members that its not a problem in Sacramento only to watch out for high crime area's. cheers all.

Old 03-02-2012, 04:53 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,086,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by News1234 View Post
thanks for the advice its good to learn about this stuff however, your writing to me seems to infer that i have possibly accused certain race/races as being 'racist' or 'criminal'. I have not done so at all. Is this the way many people in the US would take such a post even though ive written nor infered anything of the sort? thanks
I believe you. I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt, because you're not American.

Many white americans for some reason have this irrational fear of minorities (mostly black) that goes back to the days of Reconstruction.

What's so funny about this is that it's usually minorities that are harmed, maimed, killed or brutalized in THEIR neighborhoods or by THEIR hands, so I'm not understanding why they're so afraid of everyone.

So I apologize for putting you in the same bag.

Old 03-02-2012, 04:59 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,086,737 times
Quote:
your right, i didnt mean anything by the post, but the post clearly shows that ...unless your an overly sensitive person and upset about something, in which case a person will take it out on me.

Fact is, my wife is brown skinned and if i were black, hyspanic, mexican, native indian, or otherwise, id also be asking the same question. It just seems that some people believe because ive posted it as a white man that im infering crime and evil towards a race.

As a young man i lived with an ex vietnam veteran from omaha nebraska and he was fiercly racist as a white man, he would refer to how his many would speak and treat people of another race, and it was a disgrace. Ive also been warned by Californians about straying into certain neighbourhoods.
Again, you're WHITE. You can 'stray' into any neighborhood you want to.

It's usually minorities that have to watch where WE go, although I can say that as a black woman I've never had any problems either here or in NYC for being in the "wrong" place.

I think this is strictly a male "problem".

Old 03-02-2012, 08:35 PM

141 posts, read 537,448 times
More affluence = less crime

Less affluence = more crime

Why is this such a surprise for anyone and why do people ask? Get a real estate map on zillow.com and you'll see where not to live - the $100k home prices, and where it's best to live - the $1M+ home prices.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:35 PM

1,348 posts, read 2,873,181 times
Quote:

Whats my point? if Americans have told me certain things about their home, i think its a simple matter of respect towards the good people of america not to mention 'wise' for me to search out such matters so that i do not upset anyone who themselves might be racist and intolerant of a white person. None the less, its good to hear from numerous members that its not a problem in Sacramento only to watch out for high crime area's. cheers all.
I don't think there was anything wrong with what you said. Some people, based on their own experiences, infer too much. It is normal to ask if a certain area is safe relative to your background. For example, there may be parts of the South that may not be particularly safe if you are a Muslim or a Sikh. That is normal.

With that said, Sacramento is actually one of the best areas in the US for race relations and it is not a major issue here. So thankfully, if you are in an interracial relationship which sounds like you are, you will not encounter any problems here.

Old 03-03-2012, 12:03 AM

Quote:
I believe you. I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt, because you're not American.

Many white americans for some reason have this irrational fear of minorities (mostly black) that goes back to the days of Reconstruction.

What's so funny about this is that it's usually minorities that are harmed, maimed, killed or brutalized in THEIR neighborhoods or by THEIR hands, so I'm not understanding why they're so afraid of everyone.

So I apologize for putting you in the same bag.

Quote:
Again, you're WHITE. You can 'stray' into any neighborhood you want to.

It's usually minorities that have to watch where WE go, although I can say that as a black woman I've never had any problems either here or in NYC for being in the "wrong" place.

I think this is strictly a male "problem".
M, thankyou for your gracious comments, i also apologize if i upset anyone, it wasnt intended and i find such issues as youve spoken about very sad indeed, hopefully we can all make a difference in a few to bring it to a halt, thanks again

Old 03-03-2012, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacramento916 View Post
I don't think there was anything wrong with what you said. Some people, based on their own experiences, infer too much. It is normal to ask if a certain area is safe relative to your background. For example, there may be parts of the South that may not be particularly safe if you are a Muslim or a Sikh. That is normal.

With that said, Sacramento is actually one of the best areas in the US for race relations and it is not a major issue here. So thankfully, if you are in an interracial relationship which sounds like you are, you will not encounter any problems here.
thanks again for your wisdom, yes my wife is Romanian but very dark
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento