Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 04:52 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,053,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by News1234 View Post
Hey didnt mean to offend, im sorry if i did, think of it like this: How do you think about Australia? take snakes for instance, I have many americans ask me about this, Australia has 6 of the worlds 11 deadliest snakes, and ours take most of the top in deadly, you can in some cases die within minutes after being bitten, yet i trudge through the bush without to much concern and yes i see them and have almost stood on them before, this causes my american friends to wonder with amazement.

In the same way I have heard many times about area's that if your white you should not go into in the US and in CA.

I agree that there is racism within every race of people and it aint all whites, im not racist i got born again years ago and repented of that stupid gargbage.

My question relates to not wanting to rock anyones boat, and avoid being the victim of any possible racism. If the good members on here tell me that i can walk around in any ol area of Sacramento and i wont have a worry, then i dont have a worry, so is that what the good members on this forum have to say?
You will be a WHITE MAN in the United States of America.

YOU have NOTHING to FEAR. You and your family will be FINE.

It's usually us minorities that tend to have "problems".

Old 02-29-2012, 09:40 PM

1,348 posts, read 2,864,698 times
Quote:
Hey didnt mean to offend, im sorry if i did, think of it like this: How do you think about Australia? take snakes for instance, I have many americans ask me about this, Australia has 6 of the worlds 11 deadliest snakes, and ours take most of the top in deadly, you can in some cases die within minutes after being bitten, yet i trudge through the bush without to much concern and yes i see them and have almost stood on them before, this causes my american friends to wonder with amazement.

In the same way I have heard many times about area's that if your white you should not go into in the US and in CA.

I agree that there is racism within every race of people and it aint all whites, im not racist i got born again years ago and repented of that stupid gargbage.

My question relates to not wanting to rock anyones boat, and avoid being the victim of any possible racism. If the good members on here tell me that i can walk around in any ol area of Sacramento and i wont have a worry, then i dont have a worry, so is that what the good members on this forum have to say?

I wouldn't worry too much about race related issues. Sacramento is actually considered one of the most racially integrated cities in the country, and also one where race relations are quite good, and racial tensions quite low.

Perhaps you would encounter more race related tensions if you went to Los Angeles or some cities in the South, but in Sacramento, just avoid the generally high crime areas and you should be ok. Race is not a big issue here.

Old 03-01-2012, 06:20 AM

39 posts, read 59,623 times
thanks guys if you say so. much appreciated!

Old 03-01-2012, 07:51 PM

261 posts, read 498,259 times
Quote:

lol, one reminder, Americans are overly sensitive and way too politically correct, sometimes. They seem to prefer euphemisms and dancing around the gist of your questions rather than being straight forward, which seems to unnerve some.

For the most part the racial tensions are more prevalent in the southern states. In fact, they are really bad on both sides from what I've experienced. I've never experienced racism in Sacramento but then I never hung out in the south side of the city or del paso heights either.

Do you need to be near any specific area for work? Traffic can be an issue depending on the area. If not then look in Folsom, Rocklin, or Roseville. Those areas will keep you out of harm's way, imo.

Old 03-01-2012, 10:04 PM

39 posts, read 59,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldPlay View Post
lol, one reminder, Americans are overly sensitive and way too politically correct, sometimes. They seem to prefer euphemisms and dancing around the gist of your questions rather than being straight forward, which seems to unnerve some.

For the most part the racial tensions are more prevalent in the southern states. In fact, they are really bad on both sides from what I've experienced. I've never experienced racism in Sacramento but then I never hung out in the south side of the city or del paso heights either.

Do you need to be near any specific area for work? Traffic can be an issue depending on the area. If not then look in Folsom, Rocklin, or Roseville. Those areas will keep you out of harm's way, imo.
lol thanks CP, been a member of various forums for years and met plenty of people who take post's the wrong way, never mind. I work from home generally, not fond of traffic any time though, great info and much appreciated thanks again.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:31 AM

491 posts, read 1,264,116 times
Quote:
A couple of families are heading over to Sacramento for a while and are looking at renting a couple of properties. Ive heard that some areas of some counties in the US its important not to go into. We dont want to upset anyone or rock the boat.

My questions are:

1) Is there any area of Sacremento which we should look to avoid as we are white australians?

2) We are young families with young children, is there any recommended areas that a member could suggest?

3) Is there anything else that us foreigners should take into consideration with living in Sacramento?

thanks in advance, much appreciated
I'd be careful saying that in public when you are visiting here. Although I agree that most people are pretty relaxed about race here, a LOT of people have a mixture of ancestries in their background and you can't really tell everything about a person by his appearance. It's not like other parts of the U.S. (or maybe Australia--I've never been there) where it may be easier to tell a person's background from appearances.

Also, multiracial couples are very common here. So, I'd discipline myself to not use racial descriptions when taking about people in public. You might be talking to someone who has a partner who has a multicultural background. The demographics of the U.S. are rapidly ( and I do mean rapidly) changing and California is on the forefront.

It's better to just ask what are the good and bad neighborhoods. You will find that the crime problems in certain areas around here are the real problems, not race.

Old 03-02-2012, 11:03 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,791,761 times
Stay away from Oak Park, North Highlands and the east part of Florin near the shopping center and you'll be fine. You COULD actually live in those areas with nothing happening but the crime incidence is higher. Not to worry! They even have an Outback Steak House near the Arden Mall so you'll feel at home. It's noisy though. Welcome to California.!

Old 03-02-2012, 11:11 AM

2,440 posts, read 3,439,229 times
As if non white folks make a practice of harming people for being white? That makes about as much sense as banning someone from college for not being ethnic enough.

Old 03-02-2012, 11:18 AM

762 posts, read 2,036,574 times
Any metro city in the u.s. Would be acceptable for any foreigner. Being australian, you should be fine anywhere, but I'd try for hawaaii to shorten your flight

Old 03-02-2012, 12:08 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,053,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Opinionated View Post
As if non white folks make a practice of harming people for being white? That makes about as much sense as banning someone from college for not being ethnic enough.
I know. Maybe the OP didn't mean anything by it and I'll give him a pass, because he's a foreigner, but I see posts like this a lot on CD, especially in the NYC forum.

It never fails to have posts like these:

"White girl moving to Harlem - is it safe?"

"White girl moving to (insert neighborhood name) in the Bronx. Will I be safe?"

"White girl moving to (insert neighborhood name) in Brooklyn. Will I be safe? Oh, I have blonde hair and blue eyes. Will this make me an even bigger target?"

"White family from Kansas moving to NYC. What's a good neighborhood?"

Like seriously, black and brown people aren't thinking about WHITES as much as they THINK we are. Many really need to get over themselves.

They got messed up white neighborhoods in NYC too, but no one wants to talk about those just like they do in California.

I wouldn't dare live in a hillbilly, redneck biker neighborhood in California for ANY reason no matter how much money I'd save in rent.

I'll take my chances in traditionally black and brown poor areas, thank you very much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento