Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2012, 06:37 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,282,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
That is a really good point you made there, about the trade-offs and how desirable a place is to reside. The schools are a major consideration too, I don't think folks who come here from other states realize the massive differences in the local schools.

I came here just over 5 years ago from metro Columbus, Ohio, and those trade-offs didn't exist over there. It was very easy to live in a neighborhood that was relatively inexpensive, yet have a safe environment and very good schools. Here, it is much more difficult to pull that off.
I think that's generally a California thing rather than a Sacramento thing: in LA or the Bay Area you have to choose between the horribly expensive nice areas or the cheaper unsafe areas. At least in Sacramento the nice expensive areas cost about the same as the cheap unsafe parts of other CA metro areas.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2012, 10:31 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,162,600 times
It really depends which part of Arden and which part of Rancho. Arden has everything from high end to ghetto. Rancho Cordova is more working class with some middle class areas.

But generally speaking, Arden-Arcade is better. They have some better schools, better and more shopping, more dynamic housing stock(particularly with neighborhoods along the American River), closer proximity to downtown Sac.

Old 02-27-2012, 01:28 PM

409 posts, read 957,420 times
Welcome to California! I live in Rancho Cordova and have kids attending public schools so safety and good schools are important. Honestly, during the daytime the primary shopping centers (i.e anchored by Safeway, Raleys etc) within Rancho Cordova are safe. At night we shop/dine south of highway 50 along Zinfandel in Rancho Cordova. However, although it is safe the retail and dining is limited as this is the new area of Rancho Cordova and the economy has slowed development. For a full range of services at night we shop and dine in Folsom and occasionally Gold River which is an upscale area literally across the street (Sunrise Blvd) from Rancho Cordova. I live in Anatolia which is safe and the kids attend highly rated public schools within the Elk Grove School District (Pleasant Grove High, K. Albiani Middle School, and Sunrise Elementary..check out greatschools.net). Outside of Anatolia, Sunridge Park and Kavala Ranch (which are served by the Elk Grove School District) I cannot recommend other parts of Rancho that combine good schools and safe neighborhoods (although there are other areas of Rancho that are considered safe). Unfortunately, the common rental charge in my area is about $1800 per month and there are no apartments. Research carefully as even areas touted on this forum such as Rocklin, Roseville and Granite Bay have experienced an upsurge in crime. Personally, Folsom and El Dorado Hills are wonderful communities but pricey. The housing in Arden Arcade varies greatly as do the schools...so always check out attendance boundaries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento