Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2011, 07:10 PM

1 posts, read 2,599 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are both happily employed and have 2 kiddos (4 mos. and 2 y.o). We love Austin, the city that we live in, as it suits our lifestyle of activity and lots of cool things to do with the kids (Great running trails, LOTS of parks, triathlons, lots of races and people are very active, Childrens Mueseum, many family friendly events and restaurants, very friendly people, etc.). I am also a teacher at a school that is very hard to score a job at. My husband is considering a job in Rancho Cordova and I am hoping to get a teaching job at a school within the next year if we decide to bite the bullet and make the move.

My main question is- Is Rancho Cordova/Folsom/Sacramento Area family friendly? What is there to do with kids there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2011, 09:17 PM

3,720 posts, read 10,001,926 times
I would say look to Folsom and East of there, El Dorado Hills, Cameron Park, Shingle Springs. The schools are highly rated in those areas - see GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community - and a quick drive to Rancho Cordova. There are a lot of outdoor activities and parks, but for things like museums and amusement parks, you'll have to make the trip downtown. I haven't been as impressed with finding family friendly restaurants (oh how I miss places like Central Market and Amy's Ice Cream with the large outdoor playground). Not that it's bad to bring kids along, but they don't cater to them as much here. Most of the suburbs have great family activites like concerts in the park with bounce houses, various festivals, santa clause fireman runs, etc.

I lived in Austin from 1989-93. If you like the outdoor activity, you will really enjoy living out here. Generally speaking, housing here is more expensive than Texas, but Austin is more expensive than most of Texas so it shouldn't be such a big sticker shock.

FYI - the schools have all been cutting back and finding a teaching job here might be quite difficult. It depends on your subject.

Good luck with your move and feel free to post or send me a direct message if you have any detailed questions.

Old 07-13-2011, 11:06 AM

599 posts, read 1,653,474 times
Just my 2 cents...I feel Austin has more to offer you. Cost of living is much cheaper in Texas. Getting a teaching job here is kind of tough. If you love Austin, I would stay...the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

Best of Luck!

Old 07-14-2011, 09:52 AM

261 posts, read 1,351,291 times
Rancho Cordova and Folsom are completely different places. Folsom is much safer and way better schools even though they're part of the same school district. I'm an elementary teacher and here's a little taste of the job situation: I was laid off 2 years in a row (got a job back right before school started each time) in Sacramento. This last school year I got a job at a charter school. There were 400 applicants and 2 positions. This coming school year, we are hiring 3 more teachers, and we had 800 applicants. All highly qualified with CA credentials. The job situation for teachers is downright horrible right now. I am not trying to talk you out of moving here, but this is the reality for teachers anyway. I have a teacher-friend who can't even sub anywhere around the area because all of the laid-off teachers get first dibbs on all of the subbing in their districts. It's pretty sad right now.

Old 07-20-2011, 11:37 PM

491 posts, read 1,261,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaOf2Austin View Post
My husband and I are both happily employed and have 2 kiddos (4 mos. and 2 y.o). We love Austin, the city that we live in, as it suits our lifestyle of activity and lots of cool things to do with the kids (Great running trails, LOTS of parks, triathlons, lots of races and people are very active, Childrens Mueseum, many family friendly events and restaurants, very friendly people, etc.). I am also a teacher at a school that is very hard to score a job at. My husband is considering a job in Rancho Cordova and I am hoping to get a teaching job at a school within the next year if we decide to bite the bullet and make the move.

My main question is- Is Rancho Cordova/Folsom/Sacramento Area family friendly? What is there to do with kids there?
Just run searches on this forum and you will get mucho information on your questions.

Old 07-21-2011, 12:53 PM

1,189 posts, read 2,555,033 times
You may want to consider staying in Austin. Things are quite difficult for teachers right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento