Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2011, 12:51 PM

6 posts, read 9,520 times

Advertisements

Hi, I've been offered a job next summer with a few potential locations, one being Folsom. I've never lived in California so I had a few questions:

1. Would you recommend living here for a college student (compared to cities like Atlanta, Dallas, D.C...)?

2. What part of the city should I look into living in, and how affordable are studio apartment rentals?

3. How's the public transportation? Would I need to bring my car?

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by yourfriendstax; 12-03-2011 at 01:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2011, 01:46 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,282,794 times
Public transportation in Folsom is pretty nonexistent--there is a light rail line that runs from Folsom to downtown Sacramento, but it stops running after 7 PM. It's not a big city, only about 60,000 people, more of a small town with a suburb that grew up around it, and there isn't really a "bad part" of town. It's not an inexpensive place to live, but it's a lot cheaper than a place like DC or Dallas. You might be able to get around on a bike rather than using a car, if your workplace and apartment are suitably close, but Folsom is generally a very car-centric place. Summers here are hot and dry.

Old 12-03-2011, 05:58 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,240,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yourfriendstax View Post
Hi, I've been offered a job next summer with a few potential locations, one being Folsom. I've never lived in California so I had a few questions:

1. Would you recommend living here for a college student (compared to cities like Atlanta, Dallas, D.C...)?

2. What part of the city should I look into living in, and how affordable are studio apartment rentals?

3. How's the public transportation? Would I need to bring my car?

Thanks for any help.
I grew up in Sacto, and now live just outside of DC. Folsom will be boorriiinngg by comparison. Outside of the Smithsonian Museums (all free), DC can be rather expensive.

Yes, you would need to bring your car to Folsom.

Folsom is not that bad, but it seems a better fit for older people.

Old 12-04-2011, 08:08 AM

3,720 posts, read 9,999,504 times
Folsom can't compare to any of the cities you mentioned. It's a suburb which is very nice but pretty family oriented. Nice place to live with a great number of options to experience California close by. It won't be any hotter here in the summer than Atlanta or Dallas and in my opinion is much nicer here than there.

If your offer is with Intel, I can't imagine passing that up unless you have other great offers. The experience you gain, along with an "in" for future employment is invaluable. Plus I think they hire quite a few interns and othe new graduates so it isn't like you will be the only young person working there.

Good luck with your choices.

Old 12-06-2011, 12:41 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,843,149 times
There are less desirable areas of Folsom, and these areas include the cheapest apartments. I wouldn't live in some of those areas.

Old 12-06-2011, 06:05 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,240,720 times
I forgot to add that Dallas reminds me a lot of Sacramento, and between the two, I would take Sacto.

Old 12-06-2011, 11:38 AM

7 posts, read 27,816 times
You could get by with just a bike in Folsom if you're fit enough to get around. Bike lanes are prevalent in the area and the American River Parkway will take you all the way to Sac if you've got the legs & lungs. Don't count on much public transit, it's not big here.

Expect to pay $900-1200 for a decent 1 bedroom apartment in the area.

Folsom is a small town, and Sacramento is pretty boring on the whole, but there's worse places to be. Compared to a "real" big city like DC or LA, Sac is tiny.

Old 12-06-2011, 06:03 PM

3,720 posts, read 9,999,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
I forgot to add that Dallas reminds me a lot of Sacramento, and between the two, I would take Sacto.
Funny, I'm from the Dallas area. I don't think it's like Sacramento at all. And I too prefer it here.

Old 12-08-2011, 09:35 AM

1,176 posts, read 3,181,354 times
Folsom is sort of an extension of the greater Sacramento metroplitan area. You'd have to decide how far you are willing to commute, and what your criteria are for where you want to live. You could live in, say, the eastern part of Sacramento County, an be commuting against more traffic during rush hour. Doesn't mean you wouldn't face traffic, even on weekends. There are many communities, such as Orangevale, El Dorado Hills, Rocklin, etc. that aren't terribly far from Folsom. You'd have fairly easy access to Sacramento. Of course, we don't know your work hours.

You don't say if owning a car would be a financial burden. When I lived in Sacramento, many years ago, people wouldsay it's great for what it's near. On summer weekends, I'd go hiking in the Sierra (with friends or the Sierra Club). The Bay Area is easily reachable by car, and even train. Sacramento has grown a lot since I left. To some it would be boring, but to others it would be great. I know of people who like Stockton and Fresno and Tulare.

I hope you make an exploratory trip before making any decisions. Look at online rental ads and perhaps contact a property management firm (rentals), either an independent one or part of a larger real estate company. Sierra College in Rocklin (?) may have a housing office with cards from people renting out apartments, rooms, etc. (non-students may be able to access it; I used the one at CSUS years ago).

Old 12-09-2011, 01:21 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,843,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanguines View Post
You could get by with just a bike in Folsom if you're fit enough to get around. Bike lanes are prevalent in the area and the American River Parkway will take you all the way to Sac if you've got the legs & lungs.
You'd have to be pretty fit to ride a bike around Folsom, as it is very hilly. But yes, the bike trails that connect all the neighborhoods & out along the river are wonderful.

Folsom is a family-oriented community. One of the many reasons why I love it, is that it has almost everything that the other suburbs have, shopping wise, and I really never have to go down the hill. We just got our own Whole Foods, and we have a Trader Joes (+ Bel Air, Raleys, Safeway, Save Mart, Winco & Nugget just up one exit in EDH). Plus, it only takes about 15 minutes to get from one side of town to the other, unless, it is during commute times, then it takes a little longer, but not much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento