Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 07:42 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,289,625 times

Advertisements

So the answer is more government regulation of personal behavior?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2011, 10:17 PM

59 posts, read 133,273 times
Default ?

I have no idea but I sense it's like making a u-turn on the freeway because these problems go back to the Gold Rush Days. The area has a history of rowdiness and like elsewhere in the world, only the wealthy can build high fences and walls to protect themselves against the rabble.

Complicating the problem is too much tolerance...believing that one person has the right to stay stoned or high on drugs all day and that everyone else needs to be understanding of their behavior, even when it harms the community at large. This has backfired, big time.

First, the fundamental beliefs need to change. Given the serious vandalism at Nevada Union High School. this may be happening, as we speak.

Second, no one should buy property in Nevada County and I guarantee, real estate people will lead an entirely new way of doing business that includes not lying to buyers about the quality of life.

Third, all absentee landlords of rental housing, land and apartments need to be fined big time for the drain their rowdy tenants put on the environment and public services. Make them prove they are screening their tenants, yes, force them to have a representative in the area or show up in person.

Nevada City, in particular still sees itself as the "Queen of the Mining Towns", despite the crazy incidents of "acting out" reported in The Union. The rents are entirely obscene; again, relative to the quality of life people believe they are buying.

The changes are, as usual, going to occur when people take charge and make whatever sacrifices necessary to reverse this destructive trend. How about voluntarily giving up some rights for the long term benefits of positive change?

Self regulation, if anyone there can agree on anything. As it is, when tourism business falls off in the area, a new website is created and then a dozen or so people start fighting about who is going to control it and the whole thing implodes and starts all over again.

Now, the experts are saying the only way to treat the masses of homeless in the area, is to provide services. What kind of services are available to pedophiles who cannot find housing in the city? We still don't know enough about the brain to know what causes most self destructive human behavior, let alone the varying degrees of mental illness created by long term drug use and the Nevada County Food Bank is often in trouble, from lack of donations.

Of course, there are very wealthy in the area; so much for wealth distribution. How about 100 wealthiest Nevada County residents get together and decide they are going to donate a percentage of their income for mental health services. Would it be worth their money to save a few poor souls? First, you will have to convince a few mental health professionals that, given the extreme urgency, they really don't need to charge $300. an hour and they will make some sacrifices, too.

These are just a few ideas and I am not looking for an argument; we are beyond trying to discredit other people's ideas on any internet forum. We need to get to work and compromise and not make someone right and another wrong. It's way too late for that. How about creating some new ideas?

Sometimes, I think a lot of people will die and those who want to die, will and in the end, it will be the survival of the fittest.

Old 12-04-2011, 10:35 PM

Because, yes, of course, lots of people dying is better than one person being right and another wrong.

Old 12-07-2011, 09:27 AM

Default Suggest you get to work

There's work to be done wburg. Get off your fanny; stop distorting leadership and good idea plans to suit your own (whatever) agenda.

Take 80 East, Exit at Auburn, State 49 North. Drive 26 miles to Grass Valley.

Or; go downtown to the Salvation Army and ask how you can help or take a bag of food to your local food bank.

Get 'her done 'cause MOD CUT.

You're not a golfer by any chance, are you?

Last edited by NewToCA; 12-07-2011 at 09:55 PM.. Reason: insults not allowed

Old 12-07-2011, 01:51 PM

4,030 posts, read 3,310,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
So the answer is more government regulation of personal behavior?
Government regulates personal behavior all of the time. When you criminalize sodomy you are legislating a morality through the power of the state, but you are also legislating a morality through the power of the state when you declare the right to engage in sodomy a basic human right as well. The issue isn't whether government is going to legislate and a impose morality on us. The issue is which morality it is imposing upon us.

Old 12-07-2011, 09:48 PM

MOD CUT

I'm not quite sure what you're advocating in your post above--some kind of voluntary fascism and encouraging people to independently kill off the weak? And what does golf have to do with it?

Last edited by NewToCA; 12-07-2011 at 09:56 PM.. Reason: I took care of the offending comment in the source post

Old 12-08-2011, 12:14 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,975,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
Because, yes, of course, lots of people dying is better than one person being right and another wrong.
I think you totally missed the point.

Old 12-08-2011, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I think you totally missed the point.
Okay then...what is kip60's point? Because it sounds like a beerhall putsch to me.

Old 12-08-2011, 11:09 AM

Default This isi nuts

Mr. Wburg; you are doing what you always do and that is to attack anyone who believes differently than you because you like to be the expert. However, really expert people become that way because they are able to read and disseminate important information and discuss the real issues.

You seem to be a white, aging man who is at the end of his life and wants to be heard, no matter what and I have not heard you come up with any constructive, workable ideas for change; maybe you like history better but none of us can afford to stay in the past...so God Bless You and I hope you are safe.

I am aging too but I stay very alert and feeling heartbroken by developments in our country and around the world. Nevada County represents the worst possible, hard to solve social problems, maybe in the entire country. People are going there from all over the country, primarily to make money in the drug business and that part of California holds the unique position of exporting drugs to almost every other state, even those who do not want medical marijuana.

The real issues that separate us are: I want to participate in the creating problem solving efforts and you want to attack any individual who doesn't agree with your "whatever" agenda, which is really unclear, other than you like any kind of attention...good or bad...

It's doesn't look like you are ready to take any responsibility for helping to create positive changes or give anyone credit for thinking, because it wasn't your idea.

I would be wasting my time on this forum, so you will be happy to know I am leaving and pretty soon, I expect you will be here all by yourself, talking to the white space and you'll be much happier.

Twitter is far more productive, communicating with people in real decision making positions. There is no way for form a coalition for intelligent decisions.

Old 12-08-2011, 01:22 PM

You think Nevada County has the worst social programs in the entire country?

Ooooooooooooooooooookayyyyyyyyyyyy....

(slowly backs out of the room)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento