Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2009, 01:34 AM

13 posts, read 33,255 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I hope that the people that live in or know Auburn can help me. Is the area near the foothills, the Auburn State recreational area, better than west of I-80 for a mature couple looking for:
- spacious (3000sqf) new(2000+) homes on a decent land (1/3 acre+)
- nature, mature trees, hiking trails
- starbucks, groceries and decent italian restaurants in a 15 miles radius
- cultural activities (concert, theater, etc) in a 35 miles radius
- decent shopping mall in a 25 miles radius
- no gangs, no pollution noise or otherwise
- a little cooler summers than Sacramento
- no infestation of insects (I lived in south Florida once)
- mid-liberal, some ethnic diversity, globally open minded community

I know it is asking too much, but I'm ready for trade-offs. I like the idea of being close to a State park but it may also bring a lot of hassle together like too many visitors with traffic and trash in the neighborhood.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 09:58 AM

590 posts, read 931,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renting in tokyo View Post
Hi,
I hope that the people that live in or know Auburn can help me. Is the area near the foothills, the Auburn State recreational area, better than west of I-80 for a mature couple looking for:
- spacious (3000sqf) new(2000+) homes on a decent land (1/3 acre+)

I know it is asking too much, but I'm ready for trade-offs. I like the idea of being close to a State park but it may also bring a lot of hassle together like too many visitors with traffic and trash in the neighborhood.
Thanks
Auburn is the foothills. It's the first foothill town you come to as you head east on Hwy 80 from Sacramento

There are numerous access points into the Auburn Rec. Area but Hwy 193/49 leaves from east Auburn and drops right down into the Rec. Area.

I don't know what you mean by "better than west of I-80 for a mature couple" There are no towns to the west of Auburn and I-80 unless you count Lincoln which is 15 miles away and not considered "the foothills". And immediately east of Auburn is the Rec Area where there are no towns. When looking at Auburn you will generally view other towns as being northerly or southerly. For example, Newcastle is west, southwest of Auburn and Colfax is north, northeast of Auburn. I don't know how "mature" you are but Colfax has a 55+ community.

To answer your questions:

-spacious (3000sqf) new(2000+) homes on a decent land (1/3 acre+)

Yes, don't know about a 1/3 of an acre though. If you want a home with acreage it's probably not going to be newish and if it is newish you'll probably pay a lot for it.

Yes.

Yes

Yes

Yes

There are gangs everywhere, however in Auburn you'll probably come across local punk kids acting in a bad manner than you would gangs.

Pollution, yes. You need to understand one thing about the foothills that are on the edge of the Sacramento Valley. Smog and smoke rises up and since Auburn is above Sacramento all the smog just sits there. In fact, during the summer smog in Auburn can be worse than smog in Sacramento. However, the other three seasons of the year are great in Auburn.

No, not really. Maybe a few degrees.

There are spiders and snakes, especially rattlesnakes. That said, in all my years of hiking and biking in the Sacramento-Tahoe area I've come across three rattlesnakes. The further out in the sticks you live, the more bugs there will be. But if you live within the Auburn city limits bugs and snakes are nearly non-existant.

Yes

I would suggest you look at realtor.com to see what home prices are in Auburn. Home prices are all over the map right now.

Old 04-08-2009, 10:26 AM

8,673 posts, read 17,275,986 times
Not sure about the last one...Placer County is sometimes called "Orange County North," it is about the most Republican county in the state. Auburn is over 90% white, so not much in the way of ethnic diversity either. The aforementioned pollution is a real problem, the Central Valley is kind of like a big bathtub and Auburn is right at the altitude where the bathtub ring is, so to speak.

Because the area is not very humid, you certainly don't see bugs like one gets in Florida.

There are some nice restaurants in downtown Auburn, not sure about Italian in particular.

Old 04-11-2009, 08:54 PM

13 posts, read 33,255 times
norcalman, wburg,
Thanks a lot for your replies. Auburn seems to be a perfect place for us, a mid 50s couple that learned a new appreciation for nature in Japan. The pollution issue is a little turn off, but the overall trade off seems very positive. I now have a better idea what Auburn is. My next step will be to contact a real estate agent to look around the next time I visit California. During my last trip last December, we visited Granite Bay and Eldorado Hills but we didn't really get very excited about the houses and areas we were shown.
Thanks again and all the best.

Old 08-14-2009, 02:49 PM

266 posts, read 1,002,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renting in tokyo View Post
norcalman, wburg,
Thanks a lot for your replies. Auburn seems to be a perfect place for us, a mid 50s couple that learned a new appreciation for nature in Japan. The pollution issue is a little turn off, but the overall trade off seems very positive. I now have a better idea what Auburn is. My next step will be to contact a real estate agent to look around the next time I visit California. During my last trip last December, we visited Granite Bay and Eldorado Hills but we didn't really get very excited about the houses and areas we were shown.
Thanks again and all the best.
I suspect since time has passed that the home prices in Auburn have really taken a hit.

Old 08-14-2009, 03:53 PM

85 posts, read 432,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMan View Post
Yes

Old 08-14-2009, 08:46 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,170,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMan View Post
Yes
I don't agree with this one. My ex is an ultramarathon runner who at one time considered moving to Auburn when he retired because he does a lot of training in the foothills and Sierras, and he concluded it was much too conservative for him. I also have a friend who owns a house there that has been in his family for 3 generations and he rents it out rather than live there for the same reason. Nothing wrong with being conservative OR liberal, but if a place tends the other way from the way you are, especially if it's a rather small community, it can make it a lot less comfortable to live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento