Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 06:56 PM

467 posts, read 778,941 times

Advertisements

This almost sounds like 'been up for ten days' paranoia to me. That area hasn't changed much in the last twenty years, in fact, it was probably worse twenty years ago. People buying homes and properties during the boom has pushed the foothill tweekers even deeper into the woods. If anything, they're more reclusive these days. Foothill towns are always a bit off and full of weirdos, god bless 'em for it too. Have you ever seen "The Burbs"? In the end, they turned out to be right, buuuut.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2011, 07:11 PM

21,893 posts, read 25,213,587 times
Capitola has been a high-crime small beach town for all my life. Like all beach towns there's a lot of drugs, partying, and the inevitable turf battles amongst the surfers. Only someone living with blinders on would be surprised by Capitola's high crime.

Old 09-30-2011, 05:50 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,543,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Capitola has been a high-crime small beach town for all my life. Like all beach towns there's a lot of drugs, partying, and the inevitable turf battles amongst the surfers. Only someone living with blinders on would be surprised by Capitola's high crime.
Not really... I was born in Soquel, lived in the area for 18 years and still have family living there. It's never been known as a high crime area. There's been one murder in Capitola since 1999. Turf battles between surfers? Yeah, the occasional valley or transplant might get in trouble with locals a few times a year, but it's not as if surfers engage in gang warfare. It's not an especially poor or dangerous area though, it's fairly upscale and mellow in most parts. Punk kids causing problems around 41st Ave and the mall--the old Pleasure Point surf ghetto got gentrified for the most part. There's a sketchy side to parts of Santa Cruz but most of the problems in Santa Cruz were always in Beach Flats or the lower Ocean Street area or on the Westside. Eastside towards Capitola's always been fairly mellow--South County gets worse by Freedom and Watsonville.

A lot of incidents considered an assault in Capitola or Nevada City or other small towns wouldn't even be reported in Oakland or Stockton, nor would they have the manpower in larger cash-strapped cities to follow up on the case either. That's why statiscally comparing small towns to larger towns and cities is misleading... If a town of 10,000 people has 1 murder in a year, they have a murder rate of 100/100,000, close to the most violent cities in the world like Juarez or Caracas.

Last edited by Deezus; 09-30-2011 at 06:17 PM..

Old 09-30-2011, 11:23 PM

Oh, I'm sure there are some who choose to ignore the fact that Capitola has had a high crime rate and has for decades. Who knows that it has a high crime rate really isn't my point. The fact that it does have a high crime rate is. Violent crime has spiked with the wave of armed robberies that's been hitting all of Santa Cruz county. Oh, and Santa Cruz has long been just as dangerous as scary Watsonville (oh, God, Brown people halp!).

And I agree, not much point in comparing homicide rates in small towns for a single year or even handful of years. Violent crimes consist of things other than just homicide. A few more cases of violent crime than average aren't going to drastically alter the rate, and when they've been much higher than average year after year after year after year... well, yeah.

Old 10-01-2011, 05:07 PM

59 posts, read 133,334 times
Default Crime and Seniors

For example, in Nevada County, retired people provide an enormous volunteer resource for many events from Victorian Christmas to Music in the Mountains, to the Nevada County Fair and Chambers of Commerce.

We are the least likely to be able to defend ourselves and many different crimes are a main consideration for where we can live. I hate to see N.C. lose this important resource because there is no safe place for us to live.

We are not all burdens; many still have steady incomes, as well as time that contributes in a very important way. Did I mention child care and tutoring?

So, breaking and entering, robbery, pushing someone off the sidewalk, etc. become more stressful for us; not to mention we don't heal as quickly.

For all those reasons, I think seniors need to read the FBI reports, as well as families with young children before making a decision to move to the foothills, especially Nevada County. Who is left?

Heartbroken is the way I feel and really hope there is a way out of this.

Old 10-01-2011, 09:49 PM

Move to one of the foot hill counties that have reasonable CCW issuance policies if you're really that worried about it.

Old 10-08-2011, 11:38 AM

1,176 posts, read 3,183,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kip60 View Post
I spent a lot of time and research on these posts and don't like you taking something out of context to start an internet argument about how a very serious problem should be solved.

You would be doing a better service for the community, if you would read the newspaper articles, address the issues and discuss your solutions.

I don't like being set up by you; I think you are more intelligent than that and hopefully more concerned. When was the last time you were in Grass Valley or Nevada City?
If you want to get people together to take care of a problem, perhaps you shouldn't lead off saying "liberal" tolerance is to blame (unless what you're trying to do is organize a conservative political, which is certainly a legitimate aim). There are people of all political persuasions into drugs or wanting to be let to do whatever they want ("Keep the government out of my affairs!" is hardly a slogan uttered just by liberals). Meth is a big problem in some very conservative communities of the Central Valley. It does look like you have a very definite political agenda, but, on the other hand, I have to applaud the fact that you're concerned about your community.

BTW, re the "militias": since the Second Amendment gives the need for a "well organized militia" as the main reason for the right to bear arms (though the activist Supreme Court expanded this to include all individuals, in a militia or not), maybe you're on to something. But it'd have to be well organized.

Old 10-09-2011, 08:35 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,512,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samoi137 View Post
BTW, re the "militias": since the Second Amendment gives the need for a "well organized militia" as the main reason for the right to bear arms (though the activist Supreme Court expanded this to include all individuals, in a militia or not), maybe you're on to something. But it'd have to be well organized.
BTW, militias are made up of self-armed civilians to meet immediate military needs.

Old 10-09-2011, 03:34 PM

59 posts, read 133,334 times
Default Question

So, if the Mexican (or American) drug cartels posed an immediate threat to any U.S. town i.e., Grass Valley or Nevada City and the National Guard were called in, does that situation allow for civilians to act?

In other words, what are the exact conditions that occur, when civilians can organize and arm themselves?

Old 10-09-2011, 08:07 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,173,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kip60 View Post
So, if the Mexican (or American) drug cartels posed an immediate threat to any U.S. town i.e., Grass Valley or Nevada City and the National Guard were called in, does that situation allow for civilians to act?

In other words, what are the exact conditions that occur, when civilians can organize and arm themselves?
I'm very sure that if citizens rose up to meet the cartel threat, the obama regime would say it's a federal issue and the citizens would be branded as terrorists and may be murdered without due process by the government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento