Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 09:08 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,763,880 times

Advertisements

If you can handle a lenghthy commute, the look around Chico and Oroville. The land is beautiful and I would rather raise my kids in Chico (which we did) Oroville area than down in Sacramento. Good luck in your search!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2007, 01:27 PM

2 posts, read 10,967 times
The good news is that now is the time to buy if you're looking for homes in that price range... and there are plenty of nice homes in that price range now (I'm not sure what next Spring will bring). 2-3 years ago you couldn't find anything decent under $400k, especially in the nicer areas like Folsom and Roseville. The market will go up, and it will again push people out of the market especially with the chance of rates going up and the large amount of subprime lenders that have closed their doors, in turn making it MUCH more difficult to get a loan unless your credit is good and you have a little money to put down. You have options right now, so focus on the areas you like 1st, and if you're not happy with the neighborhoods, go to your 2nd choice, etc.

Old 07-02-2007, 03:56 PM

325 posts, read 1,474,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
If you can handle a lenghthy commute, the look around Chico and Oroville. The land is beautiful and I would rather raise my kids in Chico (which we did) Oroville area than down in Sacramento. Good luck in your search!
You'll go through the oil reserves in gas though. Live where you work and don't spend half your life on the road. Your planet will thank you and your family will, too.

Old 07-06-2007, 03:37 AM

40 posts, read 302,647 times
Have you ever considered a Montessori school? If you're not thrilled with the traditional public schools, consider the many Montessori tuition-free charter schools in the area. My children attend one, and it has been a wonderful experience in the last three years. They are located in Carmichael (on Engle), Citrus Heights, downtown Sac, and Elk Grove.

Good luck!

Old 07-06-2007, 02:11 PM
DMD

2 posts, read 11,950 times
Default Go with Roseville

Go with Roseville. It may seem busy at first, but once you get to know the area you’ll love all the options for shopping, dining, etc. It’s a great suburb.

Old 07-06-2007, 10:14 PM

832 posts, read 3,856,106 times
Can the get something decent in Roseville for that pricepoint?

Old 07-07-2007, 12:55 AM

40 posts, read 302,647 times
Default Areas around Roseville for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMD View Post
Go with Roseville. It may seem busy at first, but once you get to know the area you’ll love all the options for shopping, dining, etc. It’s a great suburb.
Rocklin, Antelope, and Citrus Heights are really close to Roseville too, but CH and Antelope are generally cheaper than Roseville. Stay away from North Highlands (which is also near the area). Lincoln is VERY nice but it's kind of far - you can Mapquest or Google it to see where each of these cities are in relation to Roseville. Loomis is fairly close with a more rural feel, but it's more of a drive than the other areas.

Traffic from those areas to and from Roseville is a BEAR these days too, if you take the freeways (there ARE back roads that are better). But on I-80 between the Antelope Road exit and the Hwy 65 exit (to Rocklin), I'd say it's at least tripled in the last decade or so. And now they're doing construction for the next year at I-80 and Douglas Blvd (in Roseville) so eastbound traffic is often at a near standstill from about 2pm until way past rush hour, and it can get backed up for miles (past Madison Ave). I have to take the back roads to get anywhere. Westbound traffic (toward Sac) is a monster as always in the morning, but it's somewhat bearable until you pass Antelope Road (beyond that though, forget it). There IS a rush hour carpool lane between Citrus Heights and Sacramento both ways (not out to Roseville though), which helps if you're lucky enough to have a carpool!

I hope this helps!

Old 07-07-2007, 07:13 PM

34 posts, read 200,775 times
Thanks everybody for your responses. Honest opinions really help so much!

I think that Roseville will be where we end up... hopefully in East Roseville so that DH's work in Carmichael will be a little closer. We spent some time in Roseville this week; of course it seems crowded near the Galleria shopping area, but there were lots of nice quiet neighborhoods.

We also saw some lovely areas in Orangevale and Carmichael... but those areas seem more expensive than Roseville, which surprises me. Roseville felt safer and nicer.

I will have to look into some of the other areas that previous posters mentioned a little bit more.

Thanks again!

Old 08-16-2007, 05:35 PM

159 posts, read 811,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cag25 View Post
Thanks everybody for your responses. Honest opinions really help so much!

I think that Roseville will be where we end up... hopefully in East Roseville so that DH's work in Carmichael will be a little closer. We spent some time in Roseville this week; of course it seems crowded near the Galleria shopping area, but there were lots of nice quiet neighborhoods.

We also saw some lovely areas in Orangevale and Carmichael... but those areas seem more expensive than Roseville, which surprises me. Roseville felt safer and nicer.

I will have to look into some of the other areas that previous posters mentioned a little bit more.

Thanks again!
I would recomend...
Roseville
Rocklin
Lincoln
Folsom
El Dorado Hills
Cameron Park
All safe good area's to raise kids.

Old 08-16-2007, 06:39 PM

238 posts, read 1,317,198 times
For $330-330k (comfortably below your range) I would recommend the Denby Square development in Westpark Roseville:

Pulte Homes - Denby Square at WestPark

I just toured the single family home models a few days ago (looking for a friend; I've already bought a home in a different development up the street) and was VERY impressed with what I saw, in all 3 of the models. Very nice floorplans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento