Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Staying in the City: city best, simple living, moving to a small town, development area, rural areas,

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 04:22 PM

Location: North of the Cow Pasture and South of the Wind Turbines
856 posts, read 2,923,682 times

Advertisements

I have been thinking quite a bit about this recently, the trend towards people wanting to move to the "simple life" in the country and the people that make a second home in a rural area looking to get away from the city. Whatever large city with a large suburban outspread.

Many do plant the seed and look to move permanently, lovely people in general. Many others see our rural areas as playgrounds to destroy or use to whatever means suits their pleasure. Case in point. My wife and I "rescue" native plants to the Catskill area. On a remote road we see a Land Cruiser going 60 (didn't think possible) and goes out of control and nearly hits us. Well he just goes on his way; lost obviously GPS? And I have the plastic bumper if you want it PM me. On another occasion a brand new white hummer, looked like it could invade France at least, had two people with rifles during deer season, hanging out the back taking shots on private land. O yeah my wife on my land was 100 ft away. Enough of that rant.

The economic influx does help. Local services and farms see a lot of extra money from people that have it to spend on their dream. But we trade our last little pieces of tranquility for the hope that newcomers and city folk will do the right thing and keep a particular (any area) to some extent intact.

I do think in general and from what I have seen, that it is good to a certain extent; it is just at what cost and will it be just extra money from people that will perhaps not care in the future of the land they bought that people treaded on and farmed 200 years ago?

I worry about the smallest towns and the towns gone by being shaped by economic interests outside of their control.

Well there you go it's 38 outside and starting a fire...

Thanks

Last edited by BovinaCowHateWindTurbines; 04-28-2008 at 04:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2008, 05:49 PM

955 posts, read 2,159,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BovinaCowHateWindTurbines View Post
I have been thinking quite a bit about this recently, the trend towards people wanting to move to the "simple life" in the country and the people that make a second home in a rural area looking to get away from the city. Whatever large city with a large suburban outspread.

Many do plant the seed and look to move permanently, lovely people in general. Many others see our rural areas as playgrounds to destroy or use to whatever means suits their pleasure. Well there you go it's 38 outside and starting a fire...

Thanks
Well, you know some good can come from the influx. They could help with the investment of a large wind farm complex - JUST FUNNING, I read all of your posts on the subject and am sympathethic.

I understand the concerns. We have a lot of folks from "out of town" to 4 wheel, snowmobile, hunt, etc. and are not quite as neighborly as one might want them to be. These experiences tend to make people leary of outsiders.

But I do think that a sensible influx of people and maybe jobs can help rural areas while still retaining the character of them. My belief is that the key are more small businesses and not huge operations. The more up front we are in leading the planning process in our communities, the better we are. Otherwise, if there is opportunity, investment will come in ways that we might not like it. So let us lay out the groundrules, and not the other way around.

Old 04-28-2008, 06:06 PM

431 posts, read 1,642,591 times
if they are willing to buy the homes that are already up and have a history and quit trying to buy up farm land and build new homes then that is ok. also not try to change the rural towns into the bigger cities.

Old 04-28-2008, 06:29 PM

18,359 posts, read 26,530,084 times
There's a big difference between people who truly want to live, and adopt, a rural lifestyle suited to the area they choose, and those who want to "escape" the city but bring their city lifestyle/attitudes with them, and then try to turn the new area into what they left behind.

Old 04-28-2008, 06:31 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,510,121 times
with high gas prices, cities are the best bet. as to the simple life when you got money everything and everyplace is the simple life. tried it the other way, didn't like it.

Old 04-29-2008, 07:28 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,777,875 times
Since I have seen what big money does to the rural areas, I believe many city dwellers are a threat. The best way would be to have a town where people know eachother very well, and can keep an eye on investors. If you can control the county commission, and courts, nobody can just "take over". It would require the area having a self-sufficient economy, but I am sure that with diligence, the Yuppies can be kept at bay. Their biggest weapon is zoning/code enforcement, so if the locals oppose it, the "junk" and local charm will act as repellant to the developers who want to turn the country into the city.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:46 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,088,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Since I have seen what big money does to the rural areas, I believe many city dwellers are a threat. The best way would be to have a town where people know eachother very well, and can keep an eye on investors. If you can control the county commission, and courts, nobody can just "take over". It would require the area having a self-sufficient economy, but I am sure that with diligence, the Yuppies can be kept at bay. Their biggest weapon is zoning/code enforcement, so if the locals oppose it, the "junk" and local charm will act as repellant to the developers who want to turn the country into the city.
How are the kids going to find mates? There is gonna be some new people somehow? Unless it's a "family" town,, and I don't mean ????? lol
A small influx is needed and good I think. But, developers now, that is a different story. They are bad news!!!

Old 04-29-2008, 03:42 PM

Location: North of the Cow Pasture and South of the Wind Turbines
856 posts, read 2,923,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpperPeninsulaRon View Post
I understand the concerns. We have a lot of folks from "out of town" to 4 wheel, snowmobile, hunt, etc. and are not quite as neighborly as one might want them to be. These experiences tend to make people leary of outsiders.
We do too and I wheel and snowmobile and hunt with second home owners. It is the really really new people who think when they seen open spaces they can just use other people's land to ride their trucks and recreational vehicles and tear it up or shoot at anything that moves. Why "recreate" in a place to just frig it up. Well that's humanity I don't really expect the majority to act like adults or decent people anywho.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:15 AM

27,371 posts, read 27,421,823 times
IMO, 'city' people should stay there. They bring their lifestyles with them and ruin if for a lot of country people. No more leaving doors unlocked. Rude drivers, fast paced lifestyles. Contracts take the place of a good ol' handshake. I watched Maricopa (Az) go from one extreme to another, how sad. Now its a whole different class of people and many simple life people who used to live there are now the 'outcasts'. But again, just judging form what Ive seen.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:38 AM

955 posts, read 2,159,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livewire View Post
IMO, 'city' people should stay there. They bring their lifestyles with them and ruin if for a lot of country people. No more leaving doors unlocked. Rude drivers, fast paced lifestyles. Contracts take the place of a good ol' handshake. I watched Maricopa (Az) go from one extreme to another, how sad. Now its a whole different class of people and many simple life people who used to live there are now the 'outcasts'. But again, just judging form what Ive seen.
I understand what you are saying, but the example may not be the best. Maricopa is like 35 miles from Pheonix. Anyplace that close to a large, expanding city is going to have an influx of people who really are not looking for a more rural lifestyle, but simply a urbanized version of the country.

Draw a circle around Chicago and there is nothing resembing rural for 50 miles. Where I live there is not a Starbucks for fifty miles.

Anyway, what I have found is that in my area, the people who move here either are open to blending in with the culture, or move back. But I think that it is up to the existing residents to set the tone. They should be the ones in the drivers seat, not vive versa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living