Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Staying in the City: city best, simple living, moving to a small town, development area, rural areas,

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 02:35 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,361,315 times

Advertisements

City folks are just like immigrants from other countries . Once they get here , they try to change it into the place they just came from .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2010, 07:29 PM

1,679 posts, read 3,022,393 times
Are you upset that these "city people" are shooting on your land and almost running you off the road?

Or is the real reason jealousy + resentment you have vs. "rich people" who happen to drive nice cars have more money then you?

I think I know what the answer to that is.

Old 06-17-2010, 03:02 PM

Location: North of the Cow Pasture and South of the Wind Turbines
856 posts, read 2,924,814 times
Money doesn't buy happiness or class, or any understanding of common respect for others. I look at the nice cars rich people drive and laugh. Generally useless vehicles with high maintenance, and little value besides making someone feel important.

I help tow a bunch of those out in the winter, one person with tears in their eyes when I "rescued" them.

So poop to you picklehead...

Also jealousy + resentment + pickles is still sour... I solved the answer to your puzzle.

And I gave you rep for being a picklehead.

gl moooooooo

Last edited by BovinaCowHateWindTurbines; 06-17-2010 at 03:32 PM..

Old 06-21-2010, 10:53 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,061,045 times
Default There are TWO sides to every story....

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpperPeninsulaRon View Post
Well, you know some good can come from the influx. They could help with the investment of a large wind farm complex - JUST FUNNING, I read all of your posts on the subject and am sympathethic.

I understand the concerns. We have a lot of folks from "out of town" to 4 wheel, snowmobile, hunt, etc. and are not quite as neighborly as one might want them to be. These experiences tend to make people leary of outsiders.

But I do think that a sensible influx of people and maybe jobs can help rural areas while still retaining the character of them. My belief is that the key are more small businesses and not huge operations. The more up front we are in leading the planning process in our communities, the better we are. Otherwise, if there is opportunity, investment will come in ways that we might not like it. So let us lay out the groundrules, and not the other way around.
As someone who has moved from the city to the country and who bought a "fixer upper" in a country "subdivision", I find this thread interesting.

I thought country people would be friendly. How wrong I was. It's been a very interesting two years.

It's really unfortunate that the locals are so "leary of outsiders". In reality, around here they are downright rude. The first year I was here, I overheard two of my good neighbors talking about me while I was working outside. What they were saying wasn't very nice - standing there with their arms folded looking across the street. It's obvious that they don't want us "outsiders" to succeed here.

Another neighbor who lives directly across the street just stands out in his garage and stares over here -- almost every day. I've tried to be friendly to his wife and him but have given up. They have several dead trees on front side of his property and constantly has junk covered with tarps lining his driveway but they seem to feel that they need to tell ME how to take care of my yard. His son knocked down my mailbox and they didn't bother fixing it. One day, I looked out and saw both he and his wife in two cars stuck in my ditch. For some reason, this family has a hard time keeping their cars on the gravel road we live on.

Another good local neighbor feels that they should trespass on my property to do things for me like paint electrical boxes even once decided to weed eat around it. It's funny. I would NEVER go on his property to "FIX" something that needed doing. Apparently, rural people have different ways of seeing things.

The neighbors dogs have torn up the lattice under my deck a couple of times trying to get to a rabbit. The last time he pulled out a drain that I'd built that ran under the pavers I'd installed last year. They seem to feel it's "part of living in the country" and that I have nothing better to do than to repair things that their dogs tear up.

I've spent lots of time and money "fixing" the things that needed to be fixed on my house and working on landscaping my property over the past two years. I've started doing the work myself after hiring a couple of local men to do some work for me. They walked out on a Friday leaving me with no water and an unfinished job. My first lifetime trip to Small Claims Court with him let me know that I was an outsider in this community and that I was not going to be treated fairly here. What's really sad is that the neighbors knew who it was that was working for me but didn't bother to tell me. They told me that "after the fact". They also were "too busy" to go to court to testify on my behalf even though they wanted to see the damage that he'd left behind and they witnessed him leaving, driving his truck and trailer across the yard leaving deep impressions in the wet lawn.

I got to work with a few more local "contractors" after those two. It seems that being an outsider makes you easy prey for bad work .... one even came to my house drunk to look at some work.

It could be that the locals might be enriched by new people who come to live in their community -- people that mind their own business, take care of their property and who know what responsible dog ownership means.

But, in my rural community it seems that they are happy just living in the past, revelling in the failures of others and the way things have always been.

This city dweller who chose to move to the country no longer cares what the local people think about me....

At this point, all I'd like them to do for me is to mind their own business and stay off my property.

Last edited by World Citizen; 06-21-2010 at 11:38 AM..

Old 07-04-2010, 11:35 AM

1,679 posts, read 3,022,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BovinaCowHateWindTurbines View Post
Money doesn't buy happiness or class, or any understanding of common respect for others. I look at the nice cars rich people drive and laugh. Generally useless vehicles with high maintenance, and little value besides making someone feel important.

I help tow a bunch of those out in the winter, one person with tears in their eyes when I "rescued" them.

So poop to you picklehead...

Also jealousy + resentment + pickles is still sour... I solved the answer to your puzzle.

And I gave you rep for being a picklehead.

gl moooooooo
I think you look at outsiders the way a lot of "country folk" do with jealousy and as a threat.

Why you go on and on about city folk and their differences is obvious, it is a way for you to justify in your own mind your superiority - did you really even tow the city folk with tears in their eyes? my you are so much better then those city folks!

That superiority you feel a need to express is because of your own insecurity about money/class or whatever.

In short you are full of crap as a lot of posters on the "country forum are". You should head to the "self preparedness" forum where you can talk about the coming Armageddon and how everyone must prepare like the superior country folk or perish!

Old 07-04-2010, 01:43 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,223,094 times
This thread has really become contentious in a hurry. I'm a city guy who would like to move the a rural setting, or at least to a small town, and I definitely don't want to bring the city with me. Otherwise, why move?

As an example of what is being discussed (sort of), I first visited Red River, NM in the early 60s, when it could only be reached by an unpaved road. Over the years, it has become infested with big condos which would not be out of place in Dallas, TX. I wonder why the people who live in them even bothered to move. They don't do a thing for the character of the place.

Old 07-04-2010, 02:06 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,998,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hartford_renter View Post
I think you look at outsiders the way a lot of "country folk" do with jealousy and as a threat.

Why you go on and on about city folk and their differences is obvious, it is a way for you to justify in your own mind your superiority - did you really even tow the city folk with tears in their eyes? my you are so much better then those city folks!

That superiority you feel a need to express is because of your own insecurity about money/class or whatever.

In short you are full of crap as a lot of posters on the "country forum are". You should head to the "self preparedness" forum where you can talk about the coming Armageddon and how everyone must prepare like the superior country folk or perish!
Is that a post full of projection or what? Got issues?

Old 07-10-2010, 03:49 AM

1,753 posts, read 4,256,360 times
There's a difference in new country neighbors who got here soon as they could and Cidiots.

Old 07-10-2010, 07:38 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,224,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hartford_renter View Post

Your last pragraph was a gem.

I ocassionally post there to counter some of the outright lies that are posted there. Usually I get my posts removed by the moderator.

That forum reminds me of UFO posting forums.

Old 08-14-2010, 05:01 PM

3,071 posts, read 3,233,194 times
I actually doing a thread on this right now. I'm asking what ppl think about laws restricting use of land to preserve living. Click to participate and take the poll.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living