Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Staying in the City: city best, simple living, moving to a small town, development area, rural areas,

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 10:41 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,664,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BovinaCowHateWindTurbines View Post
Good luck noco... As far as our local hunters they for the most part are the most respectful and knowable.

It's the weekend warriors from the city that get lost and shoot each other or shoot something that wasn't in season or something people don't hunt.

When I relocated to a town of 650 I could never have imagined that it would become the next "Hamptons" and city people are flowing in. Now, they help local services and really fix the old places up nice and put up nice new homes for sure. Most of these people don't hunt or fish or wheel which is a good thing.

But I am afraid they will want more convenience hence name brand corporate stores popping up and replacing home town down town mom and pop. Which is the story of the end of small town America in general told a million times over.
I can sympathize with you; it's a sad tale all over. The local hardware store loses out to Home Depot, the local cafe loses out to Chili's. I try to shop local and use local services but where I am it's getting harder and harder. I tell my friends that I'm going to move in a few years "back" out to the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2010, 05:34 PM

3,588 posts, read 5,741,931 times
I think it can work when former natives of the town move back to it at some point with a desire to be of service and give back to their newly adopted community. Examples of this would be teachers, doctors, small business owners settling in areas where there is a need for improved health or educational services. They have already lived in that small town or one very similar to it, so they know the lay of the land, so to speak, what to expect, how to conduct themselves.

Old 04-30-2010, 12:46 PM

2,757 posts, read 4,009,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 115db View Post
IMO, 'city' people should stay there. They bring their lifestyles with them and ruin if for a lot of country people. No more leaving doors unlocked. Rude drivers, fast paced lifestyles. Contracts take the place of a good ol' handshake. I watched Maricopa (Az) go from one extreme to another, how sad. Now its a whole different class of people and many simple life people who used to live there are now the 'outcasts'. But again, just judging form what Ive seen.
Thank you for your post.

I live in the city, and desperately want to escape - permanently.

I HATE the loud base "music" from cars going up and down the streets. I try desperately NOT to hate the folks driving those cars. People in the city seem to hate quiet times. For some stupid reason, they must blast their hideous "music". Who wants to hear that (*&^%???

City people are so full of themselves, and rude, and thoughtless. They are @*&^%. The less of them around, the better.

I hate the rush-rush of traffic.

I hate people standing too close to me. What happened to being polite?

If only I could move to a rural area where the closest house is two miles away... I certainly wouldn't bring city ways to the rural area. My style is low-key. I love the quiet. My pace is slow, and my temper and demeanor would surely calm down minutes after settling in a rural place.

But I don't blame rural residents for NEVER, EVER wanting city folks in their area. Unfortunately, I dwell in the city, and I don't want the city folks near me, either.

Old 04-30-2010, 01:47 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,234,180 times
I wonder how many people not wanting city residents moving to their area were city people themselves before re-locating.

Old 04-30-2010, 02:05 PM

2,757 posts, read 4,009,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
I wonder how many people not wanting city residents moving to their area were city people themselves before re-locating.
Good question. As noted, I'd be one ...

Old 05-01-2010, 03:05 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,409,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
I had to make the point on the Missouri forum to a California transplant that stated he didn't like all the new development and growth going on in his area and was afraid it would end up like California. I had to politely remind him that he moved there himself and was every bit a part of the growth as every other newcomer. He rationalized by saying the former homeowners moved away so he really wasn't part of the growth, he was just "replacing".

Newcomers want to be the last newcomers. Any development prior to their move is not noticed. Development that happens afterwards is.

Old 05-01-2010, 03:38 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,490,785 times
Something important to remember is no one has any control over where they're born. If they don't like the place they're from, why should they stay? If they think your area is better, take it as a compliment.

Old 05-01-2010, 10:09 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,234,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
I had to make the point on the Missouri forum to a California transplant that stated he didn't like all the new development and growth going on in his area and was afraid it would end up like California. I had to politely remind him that he moved there himself and was every bit a part of the growth as every other newcomer. He rationalized by saying the former homeowners moved away so he really wasn't part of the growth, he was just "replacing".

Newcomers want to be the last newcomers. Any development prior to their move is not noticed. Development that happens afterwards is.
Good post !

Our county has enacted some very strict zoning laws .
Where I live, we are zoned A-40 ( agriculture, 40 acres minimum)

Therefore the new law states there can only be one house per 40 acres.

When we had input meetings before passage of the law, I was surprised that the area farmers hollering the loudest that we need tougher zoning laws were farmers who had recently sold tracts of land off in small parcels where houses were built.

Jealousy !

They " got theirs" and wanted to be sure no one else would be allowed to profit.

Old 05-01-2010, 10:19 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,500,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
Something important to remember is no one has any control over where they're born. If they don't like the place they're from, why should they stay? If they think your area is better, take it as a compliment.
Well, sure, as long as they don't try to turn your area into a replica of the area they moved from!

Old 05-02-2010, 07:12 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,483,970 times
Whether it's the "I've arrived, now let's pull in the drawbridge" types, or the folks who go, "don't go changing my town!", nobody's ever "entitled" to stop change and progress, and keep things "frozen" like some Disneyland attraction. In fact, if it weren't for "City folk" and "outsiders", much of the South would still be segregated even today.

“He not busy being born is busy dying”…Bob Dylan 1965
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living