Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 09:22 PM

3 posts, read 11,373 times

Advertisements

So, you read it right... ...I'm moving to the Rochester area from the great state of Texas; mainly, this is due to a site closure and my job offering relocation.

Currently, I reside in Austin, on the very North-West side of town. My apartment complex is a gated community and everything's within walking distance.

Anyways, to my point: Where do you think would be a good place to live for an southerner Did I even just say that?

I was looking at towns like Scottsville, Hamlin, Brockport, etc. Any recommendations?

I've also notice that alot of places advertise security doors. Is crime really the bad/big of an issue?

Also, should I chop up some Mesquite trees and bring 'em with me?
Here's some info, in case you don't know what Mesquite is: Mesquite - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2010, 09:40 PM

93,392 posts, read 124,052,832 times
What are you looking for? Do you want something more small town/rural, suburban or urban? Do you want something in a walkable environment?

If you want something walkable, that can range from the Park Ave./Southeastern area of the city of Rochester to Brockport or Pittsford, along with other villages and urban neighborhoods.

Old 05-16-2010, 09:59 PM

3 posts, read 11,373 times
Well, I currently live an area called the Arboretum; I don't have to drive more than 5 miles for anything, and would like the same kind of situation.

Sadly, though, my job will be located off 390 and Leehigh Station Road, so living deep in the city would be illogical; especially, if I work an 8-5 type shift. [Unless traffic's not bad 'round Rochester...]

Walkable areas would be extremely nice, but I couldn't find any "nice" areas around where I'll be working. I was reading about some apartments in Chili, but then I read that it's really not that great of an area.

I guess, in the end, that it doesn't matter, initially; I just need somewhere that's "safe". Distance is of no concern, because I currently drive 16+ miles to work, one way.

Last edited by SomaticCorpse; 05-16-2010 at 10:01 PM.. Reason: Spelling: Fumbling fingers + Keys ≠ Cohesion

Old 05-16-2010, 11:27 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,594,056 times
Traffic is not bad in Rochester; we have one of the lowest average commute times in the country actually. The area you will be working is in Henrietta; a fairly diverse suburb/college town that actually has a pretty decent amount of transplants because it is home to RIT and many small high-tech companies. I wouldn't consider Henrietta to be very "walkable" but not because it's dangerous or anything like that at all; it's just more of a sprawling suburban/commercial town. If you look at some of the close by towns though; especially Brighton and Pittsford, you will find many more walkable streets. Pittsford (the village at least) especially has a beautiful quaint and walkable downtown that is right on the Erie Canal as well as the waterfront "boardwalk" of Schoen Place. Coming from Pittsford village you'd have about a 15 minute commute to where it sounds like you'd be working. Crime is definitely not something you'd really have to concern yourself with in Henrietta or Pittsford

Old 05-17-2010, 06:45 AM

525 posts, read 1,828,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomaticCorpse View Post
Well, I currently live an area called the Arboretum; I don't have to drive more than 5 miles for anything, and would like the same kind of situation.

Sadly, though, my job will be located off 390 and Leehigh Station Road, so living deep in the city would be illogical; especially, if I work an 8-5 type shift. [Unless traffic's not bad 'round Rochester...]

Walkable areas would be extremely nice, but I couldn't find any "nice" areas around where I'll be working. I was reading about some apartments in Chili, but then I read that it's really not that great of an area.

I guess, in the end, that it doesn't matter, initially; I just need somewhere that's "safe". Distance is of no concern, because I currently drive 16+ miles to work, one way.
Rochester is definitely not as young and trendy as Austin, it is a much more conservative town. If that is what you are into, probably the Park Ave area and Henrietta around the colleges (RIT, U of Rochester) should be where you start your look. You can always get away to Ithaca for a weekend if you need miss the atmosphere. Hamlin and Scottsville would be huge culture shocks to you, so make sure you visit either of those areas before committing to them. Chili is a fine area as well...very safe.

Traffic is negligent here. The Rochester area has an infrastructure built for many more residents than it has.

Old 05-17-2010, 07:01 AM

I was going to say that the Park Ave. area would be a great place to look within the city. Maybe even Swillburg or Upper Monroe in the city as well.

Brighton and Pittsford have their walkable areas too. Both are the most affluent communities in the area, with Brighton being more old money and Pittsford being more of a new money area.

You might be able to get away with something like Spencerport or possibly even Brockport, but you might have to drive to some forms of shopping.

Personally, I would look in the Southeastern quarter of the city of Rochester, Brighton or Pittsford(village), because of commute to work and you have some shopping in those immediate areas and you would be close to the shopping in Henrietta as well.

Old 05-17-2010, 07:02 AM

1,293 posts, read 4,999,637 times
I agree too, you just need decent access to the 390. So most areas around Henrietta, like Brighton or maybe even Gates, would be good areas. The highway does get backed up during rush hour, but is typically nothing like you would see in DC. Usually the interchanges back up, 590/490, 490/390 and across the bridge downtown, but your talking a mile or two.

Park is a very nice area, but you would have to cut over to the 590 south though. Brighton and Henrietta have a mix of city, suburban and rural areas. If you want rural, you could look into an area like Rush, just south of the 90 and would be a fast commute.

Old 05-17-2010, 09:32 AM

This should give the OP an idea about the urban neighborhoods mentioned: Park Avenue Rochester NY shops cafe restaurants
Upper Monroe Neighborhood Association | UMNA
Welcome to Swillburg!

Old 05-17-2010, 11:41 AM

1,891 posts, read 3,450,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomaticCorpse View Post

The further west you go in Chili, the nicer it is. Blueberry Hill apartments are nice, and are located about 3/8 of a mile in from Rte. 33, which is an artery on the west side. You could even take the back roads to Lehigh Station Rd. and make it in about 17 min. or so on a good day.

Chili Garden apartments, and a few other complexes in that town, are closer to the city and are dumps.

Going the other way, there are some decent apartment complexes in Henrietta, although you have to watch it out there, too.

Traffic isn't too much of an issue, although Henrietta can be a bear, at times, with Jefferson Rd. being the worst.

Old 06-05-2010, 10:34 AM

11 posts, read 18,682 times
SomaticCorpse...had to chuckle at your message. We live in SW Austin, my daughter has lived in Houston for a year for work and is now relocating to Rochester for same reason. She has never seen snow much less driven in it. ROFL. If you have found a good place to live, please let me know. She is hoping for typical decent apartment you would find in NW or SW Austin (you know what I mean.....she is used to decent property mgt, gated, things that work, more modern than not so the apts up there in the trendy mansion type places would not work.) The gate thing doesn't appear to be common in Rochester. Her job is at Rochester General Hospital which appears to be on the north side of Rochester. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area