Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 01:08 PM

355 posts, read 869,527 times

Advertisements

Rochester is very car-centric so it is more likely you will find an apartment that is 5 minutes driving distance to shopping, parks, schools rather than 5 minutes walking distance. For working near the Lehigh station rd exit on 390 I would live in Henrietta or as close to Henrietta as possible. Other nice areas include Brighton, Chili (pronounced chy-lye), and Scottsville. Apartments like Rustic Village are a good choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2010, 03:22 PM

93,392 posts, read 124,052,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wftmomx2 View Post
SomaticCorpse...had to chuckle at your message. We live in SW Austin, my daughter has lived in Houston for a year for work and is now relocating to Rochester for same reason. She has never seen snow much less driven in it. ROFL. If you have found a good place to live, please let me know. She is hoping for typical decent apartment you would find in NW or SW Austin (you know what I mean.....she is used to decent property mgt, gated, things that work, more modern than not so the apts up there in the trendy mansion type places would not work.) The gate thing doesn't appear to be common in Rochester. Her job is at Rochester General Hospital which appears to be on the north side of Rochester. Thanks.
She might like something in Irondequoit, Greece, Gates or Chili. This guide might help her out in her search: Rochester, NY apartments and classifies listings from the The Renters Guide Magazine.

Old 06-05-2010, 08:21 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,099,752 times
OMG! Moving NORTH! Will you SURVIVE?! How can a Texan survive outside the Great State of Texas?!

There is no place "cool" like Austin around Rochester. There are not a lot of walkable places, either, that would fit the bill.

I don't know why you would want to live in Scottsville (rural), Brockport (rural with students from the college), and Hamlin (rural and dull except that it's near Lake Ontario).

If you want a cool more-urban place to live, Park Avenue is fine, but crime IS horrible in the Rochester closer to the center of the city. Check out the crime maps: Rochester Crime Map - Showing Crime in Rochester, NY - Crime Statistics - Crime Alerts - Crime Stops Here
Austin Crime Map - Showing Crime in Austin, TX - Crime Statistics - Crime Alerts - Crime Stops Here
There is a lot more violent crime -- gun crime -- in Rochester. It didn't used to be that way. It's shocking.

The good thing is that the outlying areas ARE much safer, and you'll be fine, but you'll have to depend on your car for getting around.

There are plenty of trees, and you'll be able to breathe in the summer.

My advice: Enjoy Lake Ontario Beach State Park, Abbott's Custard, the Finger Lakes, Canandaigua, the wineries, the festivals, the museums, Niagara Falls, Niagara-on-the-Lake (in Canada), Bristol Mountain in the winter for skiing.

Get one of those bright lights that mimic sunshine to use between November and February. I'm serious.

I moved away 17 years ago to live in the South. If I moved back, I'd live in Greece, Pittsford -- or one of the smaller towns around the Finger Lakes if I didn't have to worry about a commute.

I just checked Lehigh Station Road on the map. I'd DEFINITELY live in Pittsford, in the village if you can find a place or nearby. I wouldn't live in Henrietta; I used to work in Henrietta, so I know what it's like.

If you move to Pittsford, you'll be FINE! (And it's "Lehigh" not "Leehigh.")

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomaticCorpse View Post
So, you read it right... ...I'm moving to the Rochester area from the great state of Texas; mainly, this is due to a site closure and my job offering relocation.

Currently, I reside in Austin, on the very North-West side of town. My apartment complex is a gated community and everything's within walking distance.

Anyways, to my point: Where do you think would be a good place to live for an southerner Did I even just say that?

I was looking at towns like Scottsville, Hamlin, Brockport, etc. Any recommendations?

I've also notice that alot of places advertise security doors. Is crime really the bad/big of an issue?

Also, should I chop up some Mesquite trees and bring 'em with me?
Here's some info, in case you don't know what Mesquite is: Mesquite - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-05-2010, 08:46 PM

93,392 posts, read 124,052,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
OMG! Moving NORTH! Will you SURVIVE?! How can a Texan survive outside the Great State of Texas?!

There is no place "cool" like Austin around Rochester. There are not a lot of walkable places, either, that would fit the bill.

I don't know why you would want to live in Scottsville (rural), Brockport (rural with students from the college), and Hamlin (rural and dull except that it's near Lake Ontario).

If you want a cool more-urban place to live, Park Avenue is fine, but crime IS horrible in the Rochester closer to the center of the city. Check out the crime maps: Rochester Crime Map - Showing Crime in Rochester, NY - Crime Statistics - Crime Alerts - Crime Stops Here
Austin Crime Map - Showing Crime in Austin, TX - Crime Statistics - Crime Alerts - Crime Stops Here
There is a lot more violent crime -- gun crime -- in Rochester. It didn't used to be that way. It's shocking.

The good thing is that the outlying areas ARE much safer, and you'll be fine, but you'll have to depend on your car for getting around.

There are plenty of trees, and you'll be able to breathe in the summer.

My advice: Enjoy Lake Ontario Beach State Park, Abbott's Custard, the Finger Lakes, Canandaigua, the wineries, the festivals, the museums, Niagara Falls, Niagara-on-the-Lake (in Canada), Bristol Mountain in the winter for skiing.

Get one of those bright lights that mimic sunshine to use between November and February. I'm serious.

I moved away 17 years ago to live in the South. If I moved back, I'd live in Greece, Pittsford -- or one of the smaller towns around the Finger Lakes if I didn't have to worry about a commute.

I just checked Lehigh Station Road on the map. I'd DEFINITELY live in Pittsford, in the village if you can find a place or nearby. I wouldn't live in Henrietta; I used to work in Henrietta, so I know what it's like.

If you move to Pittsford, you'll be FINE! (And it's "Lehigh" not "Leehigh.")
You have to be careful with using those crime maps, as some places are more accurate than others and aren't necessarily complete. Crime varies within the city of Rochester too. This might give you an idea in terms of the crime comparison: https://www.city-data.com/city/Austin-Texas.html

https://www.city-data.com/city/Rochester-New-York.html

Also, keep in mind that Austin is 251 sq. miles, whereas Rochester is just under 36 sq. miles. So, the first and second ring suburbs of Rochester would be like outer Austin neighborhoods, because northern cities don't or didn't annex surrounding communities recently like Southern and Western cities have.

As for walkable places, look at the surrounding villages for possibilities outside of the city of Rochester. Brockport, Spencerport, Pittsford, Fairport and maybe Webster are some villages that you might want to consider. This could give you an idea of the walkability of neighborhoods or communities too: Get Your Walk Score - A Walkability Score For Any Address

Here's are some examples: Walk Score of brockport ny
Walk Score of park avenue rochester ny
Walk Score of swillburg rochester ny
Walk Score of fairport ny

Old 06-07-2010, 11:44 AM

455 posts, read 1,499,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rochacha View Post
Rochester is definitely not as young and trendy as Austin, it is a much more conservative town. If that is what you are into, probably the Park Ave area and Henrietta around the colleges (RIT, U of Rochester) should be where you start your look. You can always get away to Ithaca for a weekend if you need miss the atmosphere. Hamlin and Scottsville would be huge culture shocks to you, so make sure you visit either of those areas before committing to them. Chili is a fine area as well...very safe.

Traffic is negligent here. The Rochester area has an infrastructure built for many more residents than it has.
I disagree with this... Rochester and Austin are very similar (I live in Roc, have traveled to Austin), with the biggest difference being the climate. While you won't really find as much in the way of gated communities in Rochester, there are a number of managed apartment buildings, complexes and townhouse communities.

We don't have the 'Austin City Limits', we do get a decent number of good bands, along with the Jazz Festival, which continues to attract audiences worldwide. There are a number of 'pocket' neighborhoods that are very walkable, and the overall social scene is quite similar.

As long as you're not living directly in the city, you won't have to worry about crime any more than you would in Austin. The biggest shock for you might be the property taxes if you decide to buy, and the amount of snow we get. Don't listen to the people that say you need a 4-wheel drive or all-wheel drive vehicle, or saying that you need snow tires or studded tires. As long as you're not trying to drive a low-clearance sports car in the winter with summer tires you'll be fine. Some decent all-weathers and a regular front-wheel drive sedan will do you just fine.

Old 06-07-2010, 09:01 PM

127 posts, read 324,488 times
I think it all depends in what you like and if you are single or with family, im in downtown area on east ave and all these buildings i see are for like young people with no kids, so if you bringing family i wouldnt suggest downtown park ave... what i like about here is im very close to the expressways, but 4 30 to 5 30 you do get traffic! everywhere, reminds me of my delightful FL lol

Old 07-16-2010, 04:17 PM

6 posts, read 11,471 times
I am also relocating to Rochester from Texas- I'm in the Houston area now, and I'm moving there for work starting in early August. I have two weeks to find a place, and I'm REALLY struggling with it. If you're already there and you've found a place you like, please let me know.

Old 07-16-2010, 06:06 PM

11 posts, read 18,682 times
Default Rochester area apartment

My daughter ended up choosing Webster Green. Nice complex and has a garage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angela217 View Post
I am also relocating to Rochester from Texas- I'm in the Houston area now, and I'm moving there for work starting in early August. I have two weeks to find a place, and I'm REALLY struggling with it. If you're already there and you've found a place you like, please let me know.

Old 07-17-2010, 08:12 AM

118 posts, read 627,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wftmomx2 View Post
My daughter ended up choosing Webster Green. Nice complex and has a garage.
My husband and I lived in Webster Green when they were first built...I think it was 1998/99. We loved living there while we saved to buy our first house. We used the pool almost every day in the summer. Webster has grown tremendously since we lived there. A LOT more retail stores have been added to Webster these past ten years.

We don't live in Webster anymore, but have friends that do and they love it. Hopefully your daughter will like it too.

Old 07-17-2010, 04:30 PM

11 posts, read 18,682 times
Thanks, MovesAlot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area