Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 01:24 PM

6 posts, read 28,484 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am in the process of selecting a place to live apartment or house in Rochester. I am just out of college and after many suggestions (many from people on this forum) I am trying to find a place near east ave and alexander. I have found a couple possible locations that are slightly north of this area and I was wondering what the neighborhoods were like.

Based on this:
Safe Rochester Neighborhoods - Google Maps

It goes from the best neighborhood in Rochester to the worst and I was wondering if there was that sharp of a transition.

Like how far up N union street would people consider safe. Also would people consider places along as E Main Street between goodman and culver to be safe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 01:53 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,720,675 times
I wouldn't base anything on that map as it is not accurate at all. Maybe if it split up the neighborhoods a bit more. I personally would not live along East main between Goodman and Culver. It's kinda dumpy

Old 01-15-2010, 04:12 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,450,395 times
I can't answer your question really but I definitely wouldn't trust that map at all. It lists part of Brighton as the 3rd worst neighborhood... yeah no.

Old 01-15-2010, 04:53 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,595,306 times
yeah that "best and worst" map is ridiculous. Swillburg and Highland park are "2nd worst" neighborhoods?...really? Also, any area near Park Ave is going to be nice.

Old 01-16-2010, 02:40 PM

1,293 posts, read 5,000,405 times
Ya that is not even close to being accurate. Labeling 1/2 the city as red??!!

I can point out a huge mistake, anything east of Winton rd is excellent. Those are all expensive single family homes. I live in Culver-Winton which is ok also, encompasses the triangle east of Culver, south of Merchants and north of Main st.

Old 01-16-2010, 02:45 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,100,766 times
Did ONE person create that map? It's nonsense.

Old 01-16-2010, 02:52 PM

1,293 posts, read 5,000,405 times
It is an internet folly and should be treated like any other source of information. The person lists no references, no statistics, or what good/bad really mean.

You could break down the 19th ward by street, or most other neighborhoods for that matter. What about a decent Brighton neighborhood, but there is a biker bar at the end of the street?

Old 01-17-2010, 11:15 PM

41 posts, read 154,475 times
I can't speak for the accuracy of the map as a whole as I do not know the entire city. Having lived at Park and Goodman for several years until 5 years ago, I would say that yes, the transition really is that sharp in that area. I would not live north of University or west of Alexander.

The neighborhood lines on that map are WAY too general, and many parts don't make sense. There's a big difference between living a couple blocks west of Monroe near the inner loop, and living off Mt. Hope near Strong. Most of that chunk makes no sense why it's labeled "3rd worst"

Old 01-18-2010, 07:45 AM

455 posts, read 1,499,745 times
The map isn't perfect by any means... there are some pocket neighborhoods that are just fine. However the general consensus is that the closer to the Inner Loop you get, the higher the probability is that any particular neighborhood is unsafe.

So while the southern portions of the "3rd Worst Neighborhood" (South Wedge) are pretty decent, head to the northern portions which are part of a failed revitalization/gentrification plan and your level of safety drops like a rock. And while it's called "3rd Worst" on the map, would it be any different to call it 5th Best? It's just the connotation associated with worst/best... someone always has to be the worst, not everyone can be the best.

Unfortunately, the Rochester D&C hasn't updated its Homicide Map for 2008/2009, but they still give a decent idea of where not to live. Democrat and Chronicle | 2007 Rochester homicides

Here's one more resource, looks to only have information from 2009: http://spotcrime.com/ny/rochester

Last edited by RowingMunkeyCU; 01-18-2010 at 07:58 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area