Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2010, 02:19 PM

3 posts, read 8,991 times

Advertisements

we just moved to rochester recently and walked to the public market and had a wonderful time. later we were really repremanded about walking there . (we live on park ave) it toally seemed safe to us. a little sketchy in parts but at no time did i have a "uh-oh" feeling, expecially with all the people and traffic we encountered. so is is okay to walk there? also we are a gay couple and were told that it might provoke trouble?

Last edited by petebilly; 05-21-2010 at 02:21 PM.. Reason: change type
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2010, 02:30 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,712,998 times
It won't provoke any trouble. Gay couples walk around park ave and the public market all the time and I never see any issues. You can just take Goodman all the way down there and you'll be fine.

Old 05-22-2010, 06:06 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,865,469 times
I agree with Garmin.... take Goodman... but I would make sure to go WITH someone. But the stretch you would walk won't be "intimidating". The day of the Market is VERY crowded... there are a ton of people and everyone minds their own business..... I would refrain from heading down East Main though... That part near the bus station and all is not a place I would want to be walking around.....

Old 05-22-2010, 09:10 AM

504 posts, read 1,492,865 times
If you're new to Rochester, you may find that some of your Park Ave neighbors can be a little "overcautious" about venturing into other neighborhoods. The walk to the Public Market is fine.

Old 05-22-2010, 09:34 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,880,109 times
It's not safe to walk anywhere within city limits really, take a car whenever possible.

Old 05-22-2010, 07:32 PM

525 posts, read 1,827,114 times
If you walk down Goodman to East Main, make a right on East Main and the quick left down Railroad St. (I think that is the name), I don't think you'd have a problem.

Old 05-24-2010, 05:37 PM

3 posts, read 8,991 times
thank ya'll so much for the feedback.. very cool indeed.

Old 05-25-2010, 12:24 AM

1,293 posts, read 4,996,709 times
You should be fine to walk during the day, I would think it would be a long walk tough. I would recommend a bus or taxi personally. Once, I walked from Alexander to Grand, closer to Merchants st. I did see one person asking for change, I don't do handouts. The East side isn't too bad. Beechwood is a mixed neighborhood and gets progressively worse the more north-west you get. The Market is on the border of that mixed area, I would not walk any further north. Beechwood is bordered by Culver and Main for reference, the areas south and east are ok.

Really, the unnerving part about walking some of the Rochester streets is the lack of people, especially at night. You get a large crown downtown, but it is a little thin during the day on many outer streets. In my opinion, the southwedge and east side will be fine either way. So during the day I might walk to the market for exercise. At night, forget about it. Not that the market is open at night.

Last edited by cheese9988; 05-25-2010 at 12:37 AM..

Old 06-01-2010, 07:14 AM

14 posts, read 37,226 times
Besides the safety issue, consider distance. We don't know your age or phys.fitness level, or where on Park Ave. you will be. But from the intersection of Park and Goodman alone, it is a little more than a mile to the market + your walking around there + another mile to walk home again. You'll get your exercise, all right!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area