Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 11:10 PM

231 posts, read 850,413 times

Advertisements

Drive into Victor, there's a golf course there (forgot the name) with really nice homes...Those are what you get for 480 and up...I think they were the homes involved in that building scandal back a few years...

I agree her home would probably not be as expensive here in ROC..... But that's a major metropolitan..They're always more expensive...

If you take a smaller city like Cincy/North. Kentucky, the house prices are pretty much the same but you pay a 1/3 the taxes, gas is cheaper, sales tax is cheaper etc...We moved back here and bought the same value home, and were shocked at the amount or mortgage+tax came out to be....Pretty much besides major cities, Rochester has among the highest taxes in the country. I know because I work with people literally from all over the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2009, 04:31 AM

1,820 posts, read 4,497,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese9988 View Post
Tell her what it would cost to buy a similar home in Rochester and she would probably flip over that too. With the housing boom gone, and many markets loosing value, the Upstate NY markets are virtually untouched. We are very fortunate in that case.
ABSOLUTELY! this is exactly what we have been trying to tell people who complain about the taxes there!
You STILL have lower housing,and a great school system,etc....
The cost of living in Rochester is much lower and people should be happy about that, it isn't something to complain about!
Yikes,it is almost like people WANT things to be more expensive or less affordable!
Be happy you can buy a single family home for under $200K there, here that will still get you a shack!

Old 02-18-2009, 01:26 PM

1,293 posts, read 5,003,935 times
There is a couple houses I have seen near Buffalo in the 400k range. One in particular is a huge three story, cobblestone brick, a huge chandelier in the enourmous front window, the grass looks like the green from a golf course.

Heres a couple in the Rochester area within the 400-500k price range.

PENFIELD Real Estate - 20 Watersong Trail, PENFIELD, NY, 14580

OGDEN Real Estate - 56 Winding Country Ln, OGDEN, NY, 14559

Old 02-18-2009, 05:59 PM

I still have to disagree...There are many places you can buy the same house as up here, for 1/3 or 1/4 the taxes, and most likely a newer home.( I just moved from Cininnati, nicer/newer homes, reasonable prices, less taxes)

Except major cities, or places like Aspen (where I am working right now)...Unless it's a major city or somewhere that people really want to live, our taxes, costs of living ARE indeed higher. Wegmans is for the most part higher than other grocery stores I've been to. (Of course Wegman's is still the best store in the country.)

Old 02-18-2009, 07:11 PM

1,293 posts, read 5,003,935 times
Shrug, I pay ~830 for a ~1800sq/ft house month including taxes and I live in the city. I fill up once every two weeks because the traffic is a breeze and everything is close by. I can still think of alot of places, espescially on the east coast where Rochester-Buffalo is still cheaper. Ive never lived out west, but I have lived in the south. Personally I wouldn't move out there because it would be too far from our families, and if I did it would have to be around a decent sized city (100k+ people) so at least there would be enough to do.

I see where your coming from, but I'm not going to pack up to goto Colorodo just for housing that might be cheaper out in the country. Family would be too far, I have a technical job that would be difficult to find there, I like to be able to walk or take a short drive to be where I want.

Its not the cheapest in the country, but Rochester has plenty, and its still one of the most affordable places.

Old 02-18-2009, 07:58 PM

1,820 posts, read 4,497,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sick of the winter View Post
I still have to disagree...There are many places you can buy the same house as up here, for 1/3 or 1/4 the taxes, and most likely a newer home.( I just moved from Cininnati, nicer/newer homes, reasonable prices, less taxes)

Except major cities, or places like Aspen (where I am working right now)...Unless it's a major city or somewhere that people really want to live, our taxes, costs of living ARE indeed higher. Wegmans is for the most part higher than other grocery stores I've been to. (Of course Wegman's is still the best store in the country.)

I guess it depends on where you have lived and been. We have lived in MD for the past 10 years and our cost of living is by far,much higher than in Rochester.
We LOVE Wegman's! have to argue that fact though, my parents were just down a few weeks ago and said that our GIANT is much more expensive than Wegman's. My dad said he couldn't believe the difference in the prices....

Old 02-19-2009, 06:19 AM

79 posts, read 359,546 times
We would love to move back to NY state, we live in Western NC now, our daughters live in NY one in Rochester one in Manhatten. I was crusing the open houses in Roch this weekend, saw a house comp. to ours here- in Brighton $369 or 389, ours here worth 100K more The taxes on the NY state house are 17K ours are $ 1300.00 thats right!! we live on less than the difference. The 100k difference doesn't produce any where near 15,000 dollars. This is why people are leaving, its not by choice, they have to.

Old 02-19-2009, 06:28 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,879,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by archtopguitar View Post
We would love to move back to NY state, we live in Western NC now, our daughters live in NY one in Rochester one in Manhatten. I was crusing the open houses in Roch this weekend, saw a house comp. to ours here- in Brighton $369 or 389, ours here worth 100K more The taxes on the NY state house are 17K ours are $ 1300.00 thats right!! we live on less than the difference. The 100k difference doesn't produce any where near 15,000 dollars. This is why people are leaving, its not by choice, they have to.
I have to say this comment is true.... My parents are waiting to see what happens to my husbands job until they move from their 2300sqft Fairport home. They are getting older and would love to move to a smaller home, more of a patio style that requires less care. However, they are paying about $6K in taxes on their 40 year old home and would like to move to a smaller house, that costs more but the taxes are double what they are paying now. Their home is paid off and they are retired. They can't afford to do this. They know my husband's job is up in the air with the economy and we are always talking (as I have in the past in CD in other state forums) about leaving I know.... I love it here and would be crushed.... but the the taxes are what are keeping my parents from leaving the two story home that is getting a bit difficult for them to keep up.... If something happens to my husbands job and we have to leave.... they plan on coming with us and don't want to move to a more expensive home and waste the money in taxes.... smart but a shame at the same time.... You all know by my posts how much I love it here- so to read a negative post from me isn't common... but our taxes are a pain in the rump and I have lived in other parts of the country.....

Old 02-19-2009, 07:36 AM

169 posts, read 476,927 times
I always thought the STAR program was designed to avoid exactly the situation you are describing. Won't that program make a difference? I bought a small home in Brighton a little while back and the elderly woman I bought from was paying next to nothing in property taxes after STAR and other appropriate deductions.

Old 02-19-2009, 11:19 AM

Don't get me wrong, I've always enjoyed Rochester, but moving back a few years ago was a shock compared to the amount of money I spent in Cincinnati.

Both home price markets are similar...meaning my home would be worth the same down there as opposed to CA where our home would be 5 times as high....

Near the Cincy airport, the tax rate is approximately $9.50 per $1000.00 spent....I've done the math..For a few hundred extra a month I could have a new, 2500sq/ft $250,000 home with a larger lawn and better schools...Here in East Irondequoit I only get a $115,000 home, built in 1920, no yard, 1800sq/ft, and have the Eastridge school district..(Nothing against Eastridge, but not as good as the one in Cincy)

Of course it depends on what a person wants...we enjoy our old home, but the winters are expensive, things are always needing to be fixed or updated... We could never afford the same type of home up here as in Cincy....And it's 100% because of the taxes. We've looked....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area