Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2008, 01:47 PM

355 posts, read 2,373,268 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I may have to buy a used car here in Rochester ($ 2,000 - $ 4,000). I was wondering what the steps are in terms of state regulations (e.g., emission inspections), and also in terms of checking for leans, unpaid tickets, etc. If you were to buy a used car here in Rochester, what steps would you follow before paying for the car? What I would do, coming from a state where emissions tests and the like are not required, is:

- Get VIN, get CarFax report
- Take to reliable mechanic to perform general check
- Check with tax collector's office for leans
- Check with city police for unpaid tickets
- Pay for the car / get title signed
- Register the car with local DMV

Anything you see I'm leaving out, or any steps out of sequence? Would those steps be different in the car were bought from a private party as opposed to a dealer? (payment would be in cash, no loans required)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2008, 10:18 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,738,312 times
http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/register.htm

Pretty straight forward, just make sure you look at the title and investigate any liens that may be listed.

Will you be staying in NY or are you going to take the car out of state?

Old 11-23-2008, 11:35 PM

1,293 posts, read 5,012,565 times
Usually you buy the car, make SURE you get the title. Insure it. Then get the plates and registration switched over at the DMV. You will have 10 days to get the car inspected if the old sticker is not valid.

A little tip to save time, have the insurance company fax the papers to the DMV you are going to.

Old 11-24-2008, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/register.htm

Pretty straight forward, just make sure you look at the title and investigate any liens that may be listed.

Will you be staying in NY or are you going to take the car out of state?

The car will remain in NY, and the car I finally buy should be registered in NY already. For the liens and the tickets, do you guys go to the Tax Collector's office, the County Court (if you have those two up here) and the city Police Department, or do you do it some place else?

Old 11-24-2008, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese9988 View Post
Usually you buy the car, make SURE you get the title. Insure it. Then get the plates and registration switched over at the DMV. You will have 10 days to get the car inspected if the old sticker is not valid.

A little tip to save time, have the insurance company fax the papers to the DMV you are going to.

Would that sticker be the emissions test? For how long is it valid? And, do all cars have to be inspected, or are older cars exempted?

Old 11-24-2008, 11:26 AM

In NYS we have two stickers, one for the registration, one for the inspection. The inspection needs to be done once a year. The registration is every few years or so (I always forget, ask the DMV clerk). The DMV issues you a new registration sticker when the car changes owners. If you have another registered car you can transfer the registration to the new vehicle you just bought.
The emmissions depend on what year your car is. If the car is only a couple years old, NY gives you a break on the price. I have an `07 and I think my last inspection was only $8!! If the car is before (I think) `96 there are no emmissions. Otherwise you will pay ~$40 range plus repairs. Look at the old sticker, it will tell you how long it is valid to. No matter what year, the car always has to have at least a minimal inspection once annually.

Old 11-24-2008, 11:27 AM

Oh and one other nice thing about NYS, you don't have to pay the vehicle tax every year and you don't have to pay for the little sticker on the license plate.

Old 12-07-2008, 03:49 PM

30 posts, read 296,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgpg_99 View Post
The car will remain in NY, and the car I finally buy should be registered in NY already. For the liens and the tickets, do you guys go to the Tax Collector's office, the County Court (if you have those two up here) and the city Police Department, or do you do it some place else?
No, once you register the car in NYS, the former owner would be responsible for unpaid tickets, etc... Parking and moving Violations go to the owner not the car...

Any liens such as banks or dealerships who still have claim to also owning the car is reported on the title. There is 4 lines on a title where liens are reported...

I'm not sure if they can but you can ask the DMV if they can run vin for any other liens (mechanics liens, judgment but unless they take the car BEFORE the person they have a claim with sells it to a new owner tey may be SOL).

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese9988 View Post
Oh and one other nice thing about NYS, you don't have to pay the vehicle tax every year and you don't have to pay for the little sticker on the license plate.
That's because in NY those stickers are on the windshield not on the plate...

Quote:
Hi all,

It is so important to get this done, the thing that sucks is that a good check will cost you at least 10% of what your looking to pay for the car... It is going to take the mechanic some time to put the car up on the lift, take the tires off, inspect the major mechanical parts of the car etc to look for the things you wanna know... You are paying this to make sure the car is going to be what you are paying for a safe reliable car that will not break down after you get it. Hopefully the car will be that otherwise, sure you don't buy a lemon, but know you are out at least a couple hundred bucks to get the car looked ar.

Make sure when you get this inspection ask if it will pass the inspection. You don't want to spend the 2,000-4,000 only find out it will cost yo more when it is time for an inspection.

Another important reason for this inspection and an important thing to keep in mind, all private party used car sales in NYS are AS-IS sales unless there is an implied warranty. You could pay for the car and the transmission or engine could go the next day and it is on you. You cannot get your money back because you bought the car as is. There could be something wrong with the car for years and unless the person lies and knew about the problem, you are also on the hook for a long term problem with the car... gotta love as is... Best of luck with your car hunt.

Old 12-15-2008, 11:38 PM

4 posts, read 14,149 times
Quote:
Hi all,

I may have to buy a used car here in Rochester ($ 2,000 - $ 4,000). I was wondering what the steps are in terms of state regulations (e.g., emission inspections), and also in terms of checking for leans, unpaid tickets, etc. If you were to buy a used car here in Rochester, what steps would you follow before paying for the car? What I would do, coming from a state where emissions tests and the like are not required, is:

- Get VIN, get CarFax report
- Check with tax collector's office for leans
- Check with city police for unpaid tickets
- Pay for the car / get title signed
- Register the car with local DMV

Anything you see I'm leaving out, or any steps out of sequence? Would those steps be different in the car were bought from a private party as opposed to a dealer? (payment would be in cash, no loans required)
If I were you, I'd go to a reputable dealer for a new or used car. Our car dealer is Dorschel in Rochester and they are excellent. I don't work there, but have been very happy with their selection and service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area