Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2008, 06:49 AM

36 posts, read 164,273 times

Advertisements

Hey all-

I'm driving to Rochester (Bloomfield actually) from the Saratoga/Albany area on Saturday to buy an akita puppy my boyfriend is coming with me (he grew up in WNY and we both love it) and I wanted to find some stuff for us to do either on the way to Rochester, or before we get the puppy.

I know it's winter, it's cold...but is there anything neat going on in Rochester this Saturday?? We love farmers markets, flea markets, used bookstores, and mexican food...all that good stuff! The chamber of commerce website didnt help out much...any ideas?? Thanks!
Danielle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2008, 03:25 PM

96 posts, read 394,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coltraneandcoffee View Post
Hey all-

I'm driving to Rochester (Bloomfield actually) from the Saratoga/Albany area on Saturday to buy an akita puppy y.

I know it's winter, it's cold...but is there anything neat going on in Rochester this Saturday?? We love farmers markets, flea markets, used bookstores, and mexican food...all that good stuff!
Danielle
Hi,
There's a fantastic, authentic Mexican restaurant in Canandaigua which is just east of Bloomfield so it is on your way:
El Rincon Mexicano Dos Canandaigua Mexican Restaurant

Rochester is about 20-30 minutes from Bloomfield, heading west, so you would be going out of your way. Canandaigua is on the lake and has quaint shops so you could just hang out there. But if you want to go all the way into Rochester, there is lots to do, including a really good Farmer's Mkt downtown that ends at around 1:00 on Saturdays. And there are many museums (science, art, childrens, railroad) to choose from. What kinds of activities were you looking for?

Old 02-14-2008, 08:59 AM

56 posts, read 335,172 times
Hmmm... I'm not sure if the wine trails are open this time of year... I live in the area an have a friend who has moved to North Carolina and every time he vistits he hits up local liquor stores to stock up on good wine from the area he cannot get out of the area...

You should give Glenora Wine cellars a call and see if they are open for tastings... I understand you probably have to drive back that day... you won't get hamnered, it probably equals a glass alltogether. They will even provide you a bucket if you choose to spit it out. They have a restaurant and a hotel there too...

If you call and they are open you will not regret going. One time I was there they had the BBC there doing a story in the tasting room. There must be something good about the place if the BBC is doing a story on good American wineries and Glenora makes th list! When in Canandaigua (other side of Bloomfield as Jansu said) take 5&20 to Geneva, once in Geneva take 14 south and after 20 or 30 miles Glenora will be on the left (they can give you better directions when you call)...

You said your boyfriend grew up in WNY... Did he frequent Eastview Mall when he was younger? If so he may want to vist EVM to relive some old memories and see soem of the changes they made over the years... Rout 96 in Victor.... About 20 minutes from Canandaigua and 20 minutes (if that )from Rochester when leaving the mall.

Old 02-14-2008, 02:03 PM

32 posts, read 135,814 times
Default Public Market

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltraneandcoffee View Post
Hey all-

I'm driving to Rochester (Bloomfield actually) from the Saratoga/Albany area on Saturday to buy an akita puppy my boyfriend is coming with me (he grew up in WNY and we both love it) and I wanted to find some stuff for us to do either on the way to Rochester, or before we get the puppy.

I know it's winter, it's cold...but is there anything neat going on in Rochester this Saturday?? We love farmers markets, flea markets, used bookstores, and mexican food...all that good stuff! The chamber of commerce website didnt help out much...any ideas?? Thanks!
Danielle
If you arrive early on Saturday morning, check out the Public Market in the city. Here's a link.
Public Market - Rochester Wiki

Stop at High Falls and take a walk on the Pont de Rennes pedestrian bridge - for a great view of the Upper Falls and the Genesee Rivere Gorge as it cuts through the city.
On-line Walking Tour / 07-The Pont de Rennes Pedestrian Bridge

What can you see that's different from the Albany area?
Consider a trip North to the Lake.
From the High Falls area, drive straight North down Lake Ave - about 7 miles to the harbour. The harbour area is quiet during the winter, so consider heading east across the Genessee river via the O'Rourke lift bridge, into Irondequoit then continue east along LakeShore Blvd. You can go east as far as the Sea Breeze area, or head back South toward the city, by taking Kings Highway through Durand Eastman Park. Kings Highway changes into North Goodman Street when you cross Ridge Road. Stay on North Goodman until it changes to South Goodman after you cross main Street in the city. Off South Goodman, near Main, you'll find the quaint and artsy Village Gate Mall at 274 South Goodman.

From Goodman, consider heading to the Park Ave area. There are a lot of restaurants, coffee shops, art shops etc. in the Park Ave area.

Many visitors also consider Wegmans worth a visit. The Store on Monroe Avenue in Pittsford is the most interesting for visitors. Sounds strange, but many visitors to the area who have heard about Wegmans often will visit a Wegmans market for the experience.

Here's another useful link. Rochester "Museum" Stores

Old 02-15-2008, 06:58 AM

Jansu- that restaurant's menu looks incredible and authentic...never would have found that on our own!
718bound- that's really a great idea, and i particularly LOVE routes 5&20, especially around Geneva--that's such a great town.
North_Coast- That public market sounds PERFECT. And Wegmans...Ive never seen one before....

Thanks for all the links everyone, this is way more than I was coming up with on my own. Im glad to show the bf that there IS a lot to do in between Albany and Buffalo afterall

Old 02-15-2008, 07:12 AM

382 posts, read 1,530,874 times
If you have an interest in photography check out the George Eastman House in Rochester and sign up for the tour.

Old 02-17-2008, 09:15 AM

96 posts, read 394,459 times
So... how was the trip? How's the puppy? Do tell!

Old 02-21-2008, 07:55 AM

Default Dante- my new akita puppy:) :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jansu View Post
So... how was the trip? How's the puppy? Do tell!

it was a beautiful day to drive to wny! we didnt have much time to check things out like i expected, but thank you for all the well meaning and thoughtful suggestions just the same. i tried to post some pictures but i dont know how to resize them so they're allowed. if anyone knows how, id love to share some of me and dante

danielle

Old 02-21-2008, 01:29 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,584,448 times
Glad you had a good time in good ole WNY and got a nice puppy out of it as well. Come back and see us again (espeically durring Summer or Fall)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area