Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 09:17 PM

944 posts, read 3,846,978 times

Advertisements

There was some off-topic debate about Rochester on another thread. Here is a thread to discuss all things Rochester. I grew up in the East suburbs (K-12) and lived in Rochester post 9/11 for 2 years until I had to leave to get something-better-than a hourly job.

I used to love Rochester, but after my holiday visit I am having second thoughts. I don't think Rochester is dying, and I don't think Rochester is experiencing any sort of renaissance. Rochester is doing what Rochester always does: being Rochester.

My statement is this: not much has changed. 10 years ago everyone was talking about High Falls, technology, and job loss. 2 years ago, everyone was talking about the Fast Ferry, technology, and job loss. Now, everyone is talking about turning Midtown into 'Little Italy,' technology, and job loss.

Duffy was going to save Rochester. Now there is hope for Spitzer. Beyond adding a P.F. Chang's to Eastview, I challenge any of you to do describe Rochester progress in real terms, not future fairy tales like jetpacks and unnecessary transportation.

Tell me where Rochester has been in the last 10 years.

Last edited by Muggy; 01-02-2007 at 09:29 PM.. Reason: Typos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2007, 09:41 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,712,998 times
Funny that you are only focusing on the negative things. The park ave area continues to become an even more popular area. The south wedge has turned around and has had many new business open, and many young people attracted to the area. Corn Hill landing has been very successful, with most spots filled and more business comming into the area. There are also a few downtown buildings that have been converted into luxery lofts that have been filling up fast. The east end continues to grow with more nightspots than ever. Small to midsized companies have been growing (harris rf being the biggest I believe)
The little italy idea sounds like it would be great for downtown. Same with Ren square. The two things combined would attract many people. Spitzer plans to cut taxes to keep people from leaving and improve the employment situation for all upstate cities.
But I guess none of that counts since the fast ferry and high falls failed.

Old 01-03-2007, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
The park ave area continues to become an even more popular area.
There are a ton of 'For-Sale' signs for residential. I have a friend that cannot sell his house for what he paid. Park has always "been popular" and turning over regularly.

Quote:
The south wedge has turned around and has had many new business open, and many young people attracted to the area. Corn Hill landing has been very successful, with most spots filled and more business comming into the area.
Again, Corn Hill has been "up and coming" since I was five. When will it arrive?

Quote:
There are also a few downtown buildings that have been converted into luxery lofts that have been filling up fast.
The Sagamore on East has no ground tenant and a disproportionate number of units for sale

Quote:
The east end continues to grow with more nightspots than ever.
Really? What happened to Daisy Duke's? Why is there no new club there? Don't worry, A-Street will go the way of High Falls and the Liberty Pole area. When this bumper crop of boozing 20 somethings has kids the nightlife will move to a "new" place.

Quote:
Small to midsized companies have been growing (harris rf being the biggest I believe)
Yes, and huge corporations are basically operating gallows in Rochester. BTW, Harris has been steady for a very, very long time.

Quote:
The little italy idea sounds like it would be great for downtown. Same with Ren square. The two things combined would attract many people.
Ironically the Italians were the first to bail on Downtown years back. The 'Little Italy' concept will be like every other "great idea," an expensive lesson in "creative thinking." Ren Square is a joke; Rochester already a bus station, performing arts center, and MCC campus. Can I rent a jetpack from 'Little Italy' or Ren Square?

Old 01-03-2007, 06:29 AM

I just checked the D&C... how timely today's headline:

http://democratandchronicle.com/apps...WS01/701030357

Check out some of the comments as well.

Old 01-03-2007, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggy View Post
There are a ton of 'For-Sale' signs for residential. I have a friend that cannot sell his house for what he paid. Park has always "been popular" and turning over regularly.
Thats funny because I was actually looking for a single family home in park ave and there are VERY few options to buy. And the rental properties that go for sale in the area do not last very long and sell right away. I know several people in the area that buy houses in park ave. It is becomming more and more popular and more and more competitive for landlords. I also live in the area and see this first hand. You probally know more though since you visited the area for the holidays.

Quote:
Again, Corn Hill has been "up and coming" since I was five. When will it arrive?
Actually its here and doing great. Apparently you missed all of the articles explaining the success that corn hill landing has been. As I said before, several new businesses have been attracted to it and are doing great.

Quote:
The Sagamore on East has no ground tenant and a disproportionate number of units for sale
The sagamore on east has many of its units filled and has no problem putting people in its building. Also there are a few other downtown lofts that are doing great. They do not have a ground tenant for PART of the building, but have many looking.

Quote:
Really? What happened to Daisy Duke's? Why is there no new club there? Don't worry, A-Street will go the way of High Falls and the Liberty Pole area. When this bumper crop of boozing 20 somethings has kids the nightlife will move to a "new" place.
Uhhh, Daisy Dukes is still open. I was there just last week. They are packed on the weekends. A-street will go the way of High Falls? What do you have to support this? A-street has always been successful. You want new clubs opening? How about vinyl and 289 on a-street. I guess those will just fail right.

Quote:
Yes, and huge corporations are basically operating gallows in Rochester. BTW, Harris has been steady for a very, very long time.
If by steady you mean growing, then yes. I guess you also missed the large contract they recently won and jobs they've been adding.

Quote:
Ironically the Italians were the first to bail on Downtown years back. The 'Little Italy' concept will be like every other "great idea," an expensive lesson in "creative thinking." Ren Square is a joke; Rochester already a bus station, performing arts center, and MCC campus. Can I rent a jetpack from 'Little Italy' or Ren Square?

Well since you say something won't work, I guess it automatically won't. You know everything, after all you did visit for the holidays. That makes you an expert on the area. Your main argument is "thats stupid, it won't work". Your other arguments seem to be you just making things up and pulling them out of your ass. Little Italy would be a different situation since its private developers.

I also forgot to mention the addition of new lacrosse, soccer and basketball teams in the past few years that have drawn large crowds. Oh yea, there is also the jazz festival that keeps growing each year. But it doesnt matter what any of us say because you just come back with your chicken little argument and dismiss anything positive said.

Old 01-03-2007, 07:36 AM

Garmin, true or false, is Rochester losing population?

Old 01-03-2007, 07:40 AM

Here is what you wrote in another thread:

Quote:
Can I get a home for 250k in a decent neighborhood in Philly? I am not concerned about schools. I just need it to be semi safe and have 2-3 bedrooms. I am thinking about transferring to Philly from upstate NY and want to live in the city.
What's wrong with Rochester? Do you not feel semi-safe? For $250k you could own some incredible stuff in the Park Ave. area.
Help me understand, why are you 'thinking about' transferring? Does Philly have 2 Jazz fests a year?

Old 01-03-2007, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Here is what you wrote in another thread:

What's wrong with Rochester? Do you not feel semi-safe? For $250k you could own some incredible stuff in the Park Ave. area.
Help me understand, why are you 'thinking about' transferring? Does Philly have 2 Jazz fests a year?
Well actually I work in a field that is small no matter what city I live in. I have found an opportunity in Philly that I can't pass up. Nice try though.

Old 01-03-2007, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Garmin, true or false, is Rochester losing population?

All of New York state is losing population (along with much of the northeast). This is not local to Rochester. Rochester hasnt been hit as hard as other areas. Besides you were asking where Rochester has been in the last 10 years and I gave examples.

Old 01-03-2007, 08:16 AM

Quote:
All of New York state is losing population
That is false. New York State has simply not grown at the rate of other states. I just looked at Census data. Rochester's current population is similar to it's pop. in 1910. You've come a long way, baby!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area