Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 07:04 AM

93,713 posts, read 124,459,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ive8ight5ive View Post
I agree. I was just noting how Detroit can be a scapegoat for pretty much anything.
Yeah, sad but true. Same with Flint, East St. Louis and Youngstown OH.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2010, 07:12 AM

93,713 posts, read 124,459,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I don't know if gas is necessarily cheap, but considering the economic and political implications of realying on gas as is, I can see and there is some reinvestment in cities and more densely populated areas.

Such areas can also address issues in terms of health, if you have nice, walkable communities/neighborhoods. I say that considering the obesity reality in this country.

Also, in a country where there seems to be a decline in the sense of ccommunity to some degree, such neighborhoods can possibly bring some of that back.

There will also be a market for those that want suburbs, but I think having more dense, walkable places wouldn't hurt. You could even have communities with both some space, as well as neighborhoods with sidewalks that have parks and businesses close by.

There actually was a great article in the Syracuse Post-Standard's opinion section that discusses aspects of smart growth within cities that have worked.
Here's the article: Roberta Brandes Gratz argues for rebuilding cities eroded by 'creative shrinkage' | syracuse.com

Old 10-05-2010, 09:51 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,605,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I don't think it's a matter of it's worse there, but as a person with family in that area, there is a big divide between the city and suburbs in that area. If you go to the Detroit forum on city-data, you will see that if someone suggests or asks about living in the city of Detroit, it is usually discouraged for the most part. I think even the most cynical people about Rochester can admit that there are some nice neighborhoods within the city limits. You hardly get that with the Detroit area. So, what he said has some validity to it.
Yes, and that was my point. That we DON'T want Rochester to escalate to that much of a division between the city and suburbs.

Old 10-05-2010, 02:17 PM

531 posts, read 1,145,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
Yes, and that was my point. That we DON'T want Rochester to escalate to that much of a division between the city and suburbs.

dude, I got your point--i was never refuting it!

Old 03-12-2013, 10:01 AM

130 posts, read 275,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
Well actually I work in a field that is small no matter what city I live in. I have found an opportunity in Philly that I can't pass up. Nice try though.
Why did you pass up that wonderful opportunities in Philly again?

To answer Harris is the biggest employer in Park Ave comment, please see the latest news in regards to Harris.
Harris RF Plans To Cut Workforce - Rochester, News, Weather, Sports, and Events - 13WHAM.com

I think you owe the original poster an apology for providing such an outlook 6 years ago.

Old 03-12-2013, 11:03 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,727,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityLight View Post
Why did you pass up that wonderful opportunities in Philly again?

To answer Harris is the biggest employer in Park Ave comment, please see the latest news in regards to Harris.
Harris RF Plans To Cut Workforce - Rochester, News, Weather, Sports, and Events - 13WHAM.com

I think you owe the original poster an apology for providing such an outlook 6 years ago.
so now you are doing the poster stalking thing..... didn't you get tired of that after being banned several times over the last time you made an attempt at such behavior?
Not sure what a handful of job cuts through attrition for a defense contractor has to do with anything. That is par for the course in that field.. especially with all of the defense cuts recently.

Old 03-12-2013, 11:19 AM

130 posts, read 275,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
so now you are doing the poster stalking thing..... didn't you get tired of that after being banned several times over the last time you made an attempt at such behavior?
Not sure what a handful of job cuts through attrition for a defense contractor has to do with anything. That is par for the course in that field.. especially with all of the defense cuts recently.
Stalking? You were the first one reponded to my Rochester youtube thread. You could of ignore it but you had to call me a troll. I purposely setup an entertaining thread like that and hope we can all laugh to make things better. To be honest I might be able to help you with a good job position but I can't help you if you are in denial. I can't say I have a lot of connections but I promise I will do my best to help you. I have a friend who left Rochester 3 years ago for a really good job position with Boeing in PA. He is much more happy now and is willing to help a fellow from Rochester who is looking for some change. I am serious and hope you can be a bit more open minded. Btw, Philly is a good pick especially given the high cost in Boston.

Last edited by CityLight; 03-12-2013 at 11:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area