Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 10:30 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,726,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggy View Post
Ok Garmin, we can continue disagreeing:

Your statements about the East End lead me to believe you are not old enough to remember Liberty Pole area, Water Street area, and High Falls. When all of those locales were jumpin' there was no A-Street. The nightlife in Rochester always oscillates between neighborhoods. A-Street is where "it's at" for now. I am not wrong about this, and someday you'll remember "going down to the toad" because you'll be looking at another vacated building.
These places were never as big as the East End. The East End has around 20 + ares to go to. Other places listed had nowhere near the amount of options. There are a few other places where people go to. Aside from the East End, there are several successful nightspots on Monroe that have been doing well for a while now. Also, the South Wedge is seing more nightlife. The only places that change are the smaller nighlife areas such as liberty pole.

Quote:
I drove by Daisy Dukes on three different nights and it was dark and nobody was there. I presumed that since I was visiting at a time when bars do great business it would have been open. I admit all mistakes: so far this is the only one.
When did you drive by? Daisy Dukes is more "clubby" and those places are generally open thur-sat.

Quote:
FYI: I lived in Rochester for a combined total of 23+ years. Please discuss the retraction of Kodak and Xerox and the effect on Rochester. That is truly transformative.

Yes, those had large impacts on the area. I'm not denying that.

Quote:
Also, the "large govt contract" for Harris you referred to is for $5million; not exaclty a windfall for a company with 14,000 employees.
The 14,000 are not in Rochester. The number is much smaller here and Harris has added a few hundred employees in recent years. That is a step in the right direction. Not to mention the other non DOD and private contracts they keep getting.

Quote:
More; please share with me your "friend temperature." If you grew up in Rochester, please estimate how many of your friends live there, and how many left. Of your friends that remain, how many still live at home
or receive parental subsidy?

Of all my freinds, i'd say 75% still live here. Many are teachers and have found jobs. Some went to RIT and had no problems finding IT jobs at various small "tech" companies. There are also a couple that went to law school and have found jobs within 2-3 months of passing the bar. None still live with the parents. The ones that moved away could not find jobs in the law enforcement field, so they moved to an area that was hiring.

Quote:
And lastly, if the 'Little Italy' idea is so bulletproof, why is the city discussing demolishing Midtown altogther?
They have to weigh all options. I never said it was bullet proof, but I'm not going to blindy bash something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2007, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Frontier Field didn't replace something? Frontier Field didn't host soccer games? Nothing transformed; it moved and took up other abandoned space.

THIS IS ROCHESTER; moving around the "Field of Dreams."

Homey, for every Corn Hill there is a Lexington Ave. I can't continue this conversation with you.

Frontier Field moving downtown is a big transformation. It brings people downtown that were not there before. Building paetec park is a big transformation. It brings even more people downtown that were not there before.
Corn Hill is an area that has seen great advancements in the past couple years. You cant deny this. Even the ****ty areas like Lexington, the crescent, etc are knocking down the old houses and building habitat for humanity houses.

Old 01-03-2007, 02:52 PM

944 posts, read 3,851,424 times
Garmin, you are new to the forum and I don't want to continue head-butting. I am very surprised that most of your friends still live there. I am going to leave our disagreement alone for the time being. I would like to hear from other people regarding Rochester.

NYTom, tell us about your visit; your thoughts and journies.

Old 01-03-2007, 03:34 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,604,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
All of New York state is losing population (along with much of the northeast). This is not local to Rochester. Rochester hasnt been hit as hard as other areas. Besides you were asking where Rochester has been in the last 10 years and I gave examples.
speaking of which, in the past 10 years, at least the entire decades of the 90's. Rochester did gain population.... the only upstate metro to do so besides Albany. The city limits (like those of every other major pre-wwII city with the exception of NYC, Boston, and Chicago) lost population but the metro area istelf grew by over 30,000....with 22,000 of that being in Monroe County itself. Granted this is 17 years and not 10.

Old 01-03-2007, 05:19 PM

538 posts, read 2,460,262 times
Default New York is not losing population

Actually, according to the Census, NY had 18,976,457 people in 2000. In 2005, the population rose to 19,254,630. Thats a 1.5% increase in 5 years. The US as a whole grew 5.3%. So while it's not growing fast, NY is still growing. Only North Dakota lost population out of all 50 states.

Old 01-03-2007, 05:52 PM

yea but if you look at figures from 05-06 they are saying NYS is losing population. This probally won't long but NY has lost people.

Old 01-03-2007, 06:13 PM

Quote:
yea but if you look at figures from 05-06 they are saying NYS is losing population. This probally won't long but NY has lost people.
We'll have to wait for actual census data. i'minformed raises a good point - and this is a phenomenon former Mayor Johnson used to comment about - Rochester was declining in pop. while Monroe County was growing.

It only complicates our discussion because I think we'd all agree that there are certain parts of Monroe that are "more Rochester" (Greece, Irondequoit, Brighton etc.) and parts of Monroe that "less Rochester" (Mendon, Hamlin, Rush).

Anyway, Garmin's comments piqued my curiosity regarding some of the new parks. Here is an article, dated Dec. 27, 2006.

"It's alarming that the soccer-only PAETEC Park, one of the features of a hoped-for economic resurgence in the city, had disappointing attendance numbers in its first year of operation. Now is the time to figure out why."

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/...337/1008/RSS04

Old 01-03-2007, 08:22 PM

Thats just an opinion article with a negative spin. Rhinos attendence was actually up since paetec opened. I know leaders were hoping for sell outs each game, but I did not expect games to sell out since there were many kinks to work out. You had problems with vendors, stadium not complete, crappy weather for many games, competing events, etc. I was suprised attendence for Rhinos games actually rose this year.

Old 01-03-2007, 08:34 PM

Quote:
I was suprised attendence for Rhinos games actually rose this year.
"Average attendance for Rhinos games this year was 10,064, according to the team, about 500 more than in 2005 at Frontier Field. Average attendance peaked at 11,551 in 1999."

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/...317/1002/RSS01

"Others aren't sold on the numbers. Given the amount of empty seats at each game, some have grumbled that this year's attendance figures have been artificially inflated by free ticket giveaways, absent season-ticket holders, and other factors."

http://www.rochester-citynews.com/gyrobase/Content?oid=oid%3A4742 (broken link)

But wait! We haven't made the stadium bigger yet! Classic Rochester. Thank you Garmin for drawing attention to Paetec Park. I also didn't realize they don't have all of the funding yet.

And the Ferry isn't sold. Genius.

Check out this Blogger's lamentations (and excellent photo)
http://www.thisisamericansoccer.com/archives/2006/09/where_has_the_b_1.html (broken link)

Old 01-03-2007, 09:56 PM

That proves my point that attendance was up this year. Thank you for the numbers. The empty seats argument can be said for every year for just about any stadium with empty seats, not just paetec. But keep pulling out opinion articles that don't really prove anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area