Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 12:03 PM

23 posts, read 106,367 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I know some schools east of Rochester are some of the best in the nation according to Newsweek, but I was wondering if an informed resident could tell me where the good schools are in the Rochester area. It's not that I don't trust Newsweek, I just think that local residents really just know more about this type of thing anyway. I will be moving there soon, and I hope to make the best choices for my kids. I was also wondering where the nicest communities are in Monroe County. I grew up in Rochester, but I know many things have changed. I also grew up in the city, and didn't know much about the suburbs really anyway, and I've definitely ruled out city schools.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2006, 12:08 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,603,717 times
The best school districts are in the suburban towns east of the city; especially Brighton and Pittsford. Both of those towns have schools ranked in the top 50 in the nation. Pittsford is a fairly affluent town so it will be a bit more expensive. The housing stock in Pittsford will be newer, while most houses in Brighton were built in the 1960's and earlier.

Old 12-11-2006, 06:39 AM

254 posts, read 1,058,777 times
I grew up in Rochester (as did my grandparents LOL) and all of my family still lives there except us Anyways you are smart to not go by the Newsweek articles and other rankings (mostly because I now live in Charlotte with horrible schools and some are very highly rated and I wouldnt' in a million years send my kids to any of them!) Anyways I am a graduate of Brighton High School (as was my mom) and my husband graduated from McQuaid jesuit. My brother in law is a teacher at Brighton as well.

Honestly you can't go wrong with most of the schools there! If we were to move back, which is very unlikely because of the job market, we would send our kids to Penfield (my brother in law's kids go there) Mostly because the competition in Pittsford and Brighton is outrageous (oh that and the higher class drugs ) Now there are many wonderful families that I know that send their kids to Brighton and Pittsford but the kids are a bit more privledged and competing with one another is very common (between having very high priced clothing to new cars at 16) Plus when I was at Brighton we often got made fun of by other schools because of our religious make up and it was hard sometimes to deal with at sporting events. I'll have to ask my brother in law but both of those schools are only okay at sports (though good at soccer, hockey..not sure if that has changed or not) and I know Penfield was much better and in a different division. Of course Penfield is competitive as well but not as much or as noticable and their education is just as good. These are just my opinions of course (and I have 7 neices and nephews in the school system there)

Please pm me if you need some more info

Old 12-12-2006, 09:57 AM

266 posts, read 1,196,244 times
umm, what do you mean by "religious makeup" ?? do you mean the way you wore cosmetics? And the other schools teased you for looking different? I don't understand, sorry!

Or do you mean there were more diverse religions represented in the school, and people were bigoted? I'm just interested.... this just made me think of another thread....

Old 12-12-2006, 01:32 PM

I'm assuming she is refering to the fact that Brighton has a large Jewish population; in an otherwise very Catholic area.

Old 12-12-2006, 02:37 PM

oh, thanks for the clarification. I didn't mean to be so dense or sound flip, I just truly didn't get it.

Considering we are thinking of Brighton, that makes me happy. Although I'm not "officially" Jewish, we are finding out that some of our 3rd generation relatives were, in all likelihood. And, considering I spent some of my formative years in Jewish Montreal, I could probably identify more with a Jewish group than a Catholic one!

Old 12-12-2006, 02:42 PM

I tried to edit my post, but it didn't come through that I also said I am surprised and disturbed by the racism, though.

I didn't think there was a strong anti-Jewish sentiment in that area of NY state. quite upsetting.

Old 12-12-2006, 07:07 PM

there isn't; it is just a little "apprehension". People notice differences. I believe the poster said that it was teenagers making the religious jokes. I would say catholic/jewish relations in Rochester and the rest of Upstate are no different than they are on Long Island.

Old 12-13-2006, 06:19 AM

I guess that would stand to reason. You see, at the moment I live in the most WASPy area in existence (and I'm not even really exaggerating!! - we're about the most "different" thing around, and we're from Canada!

Old 12-13-2006, 10:46 AM

254 posts, read 1,058,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed View Post
I'm assuming she is refering to the fact that Brighton has a large Jewish population; in an otherwise very Catholic area.
yes that is what I meant..I didn't want to offend anyone Obviously kids heard things from their ignorant parents..we would get called all sorts of names by kids at other schools at sporting events (I won't repeat them) There was even an incident in the highschool a few years back with kids spray painting swastakas (or however you spell it) I'm Catholic and many of my friends were jewish (or had one parent that was jewish) It didn't bother me at all and could have cared less..we didnt' sit around and talk about religion at 16 Actually when I went to work at an Ivy league school my boss was jewish and he was so surprised at all I knew about the religion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area