Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2007, 03:41 PM

3 posts, read 9,418 times

Advertisements

i live in rochester new york in the rochester city school district. my son will be enrolling in the 7th grade next year and i am not crazy about the list of schools i was given to choose from. i know there is a "schools of choice" program here but i have NO specifics, such as can i enroll him in ANY school in ANY district or do i only have the rochester city school district to choose from??? any HELP would be greatly appreciated!! i have to decide by monday and i have been online for 3 days and can't get ANY answers!!! HELP!! thanks linda
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2007, 04:22 PM

7 posts, read 34,605 times
I have family in the area, and know a little about the area. If i could i would send my children to the Brighton Schools.

Old 12-16-2007, 06:49 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,587,923 times
Well, for starters, where about do you live in the city of Rochester? Wilson T. Magnet in the 11th ward is supposed to be excellent (I actually don't know what grade levels are in that school though, you would probably know more than me. And yes, Brighton, which is very easily accessed by the Southeastern quadrant of the city, has by far some of the best schools in the state. I wasn't aware that city residents had the option to send their kids to suburban school districts, that's very interesting. Is this something knew? I just moved back to the area (we live in Greece now which is where I grew up, but we lived in NC from Dec 1994 till just this past August) and have never heard of that before.

Old 12-16-2007, 07:44 PM

131 posts, read 792,779 times
Default Rochester schools

Hi,
I live in Brighton--we just moved here over the summer, so I just went through the process of enrolling my kids in the school district. We had to show a lot of proof that we really lived here--deed to the house, etc.--and as far as I know that's the rule--you have to live within the boundaries of the Town of Brighton to send your kids to school in the district. I don't know how it is for other towns but I suspect it's the same. It would have been huge news if kids from the Rochester City School District were suddenly allowed to enroll in other districts.

I did see something online about some Rochester schools being involved in something called the "America's Choice" program--maybe that's what you heard about? But I can't find anything else to tell me which Rochester schools might be participating. Here's their Web site: http://www.americaschoice.org/

I think your best bet is to get on the phone in the morning and try to get some answers from the people at your child's current school. Surely they can tell you--although it seems to me that if they gave you a list of schools to choose from, those are going to be the ones you have to use.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area