Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 11:18 AM

266 posts, read 1,196,361 times

Advertisements

Oh, don't worry, YOU didn't offend me, just the idea that the kids were teased for being jewish! You were just being honest, which is always appreciated.

It's funny, like you said, at 16 most kids don't sit around and talk religion... so who were the losers who drew swastikas? They must have had some bigoted PARENTS who tried to stir things up - my guess!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2006, 01:08 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,605,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melkat View Post
yes that is what I meant..I didn't want to offend anyone Obviously kids heard things from their ignorant parents..we would get called all sorts of names by kids at other schools at sporting events (I won't repeat them) There was even an incident in the highschool a few years back with kids spray painting swastakas (or however you spell it) I'm Catholic and many of my friends were jewish (or had one parent that was jewish) It didn't bother me at all and could have cared less..we didnt' sit around and talk about religion at 16 Actually when I went to work at an Ivy league school my boss was jewish and he was so surprised at all I knew about the religion
Good point. It's really sad how the worst traits of parents seem to be the ones that get passed down to kids the most.

Old 12-14-2006, 07:38 AM

10 posts, read 33,366 times
I grew up in the suburb of Victor. It has since grown immensely therefore generating alot of tax $ and the school in Victor is very good. It is becoming the next Pittsford though- alot of wealthier families moving in and the kids all trying to keep up with one another (Abercrombie, etc...). I moved from there as I didn't feel like it was my "home" anymore. My kids started at Palmyra-Macedon schools and I liked it very much. If you want a little smaller setting then maybe Palmyra- Macedon, Gananda, Wayne. For larger- maybe Penfield, Canandaigua, Webster. I'm sure there are good ones on the west side also- but I was from the east side. In case you didn't know- people in Rochester either live in the "west" side or the "east" side and people will refer to it that way.

Old 12-14-2006, 09:40 PM

yes.... the Genesee river is the great divide in greater Rochester for sure.... and the east side has a major superiority complex; especially Pittsford and the rest of the "P towns".

Old 12-15-2006, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed View Post
yes.... the Genesee river is the great divide in greater Rochester for sure.... and the east side has a major superiority complex; especially Pittsford and the rest of the "P towns".
Must add though- that not everyone from the east has a "superiority complex"- but I would agree with the Pittsford one.

Old 12-15-2006, 12:48 PM

254 posts, read 1,058,877 times
well the east side IS nicer than the west side (I actually have family on the westside, I'm not a fan of it though) Though I always laugh when I hear about Pittsford attitudes (even from my parents who are in Brighton) because we lived in CT for 8 years and those people (mostly in Fairfield County) put Pittsford people to shame..they would eat them for lunch! Of course they are A LOT wealthier in CT than in Pittsford (small houses go for 1 million) So now when we go home and I see the attitude I just chuckle to myself Can't wait to hit Pittsford Wegmans next week!!!

Old 12-15-2006, 01:28 PM

I'll agree that in general, the east side suburbs (and DEFINITELY the east side of the city) look more well kept, healthy, and affluent than the west side suburbs. The east side is more WASP, where as the west side is more 3rd generation Irish, Polish, and especially Italian Americans. The east side is more affluent and "pretty", but the west side, particularly Greece where I grew up, just seems to have more of a community feel and charecter than some of the east side areas.... especially Penfield and Webster. Those are both beautiful towns; but they don't seem to have as much "personality" as Greece.

Old 12-15-2006, 04:47 PM

one village on the east that I think is very nice is Fairport. If I was to move back Fairport would be on my list to chk out. Very nice village with the canal running right through the middle, good schools, great new recreation center, great outdoor concerts in the summer and of course a Wegmans. LOL - No really I miss Wegmans and can't wait to get back to NY and to Wegmans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area