Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 07:18 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,363,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenjam75 View Post
Hey Roryt - I really enjoyed your reply and will agree that Charleston is the one place I could see myself in SC. It is historic and beautiful. The beaches are fun too as a get away but I have spent too much time on business travel in all sorts of areas in the south that are really culturally devoid. The old hubs like Charleston are charming.

I also see we agree more than I anticipated on the strip mall big box development. Your post did lean heavily on that example and it was a natural, though, perhaps incorrect assumption. Not sure the last time you spent much time in Roc but some of your post also indicates that you have missed a lot of rejuvenation with lofts, Genesee River Development and the stunning rebirth of the South Wedge. Not sure you looked at the dev plan for the Costco but it was a traffic and automobile reliant nightmare. Like placing one of plazas in Henrietta smack at the edge of the city. Someone posted an alternative idea that allowed for pedestrian and bike traffic, green space and actual street design fit for human sized living (much like Charleston, center city Philly or Boston), without the same footprint. Not all development is good development.

The govt in NY is a joke and we can agree there. Getting anything done in Upstate/ WNY in general is a nightmare, but let's be fair, it is not just a Rochester issue.

I hope you do make it to Philly! Great town experiencing explosive growth. Plenty of places to steer clear from, but center city, northern liberties and the area along the Delaware are revitalized and wonderful.

Thanks for the insightful reply and commentary.
Thank you again for an awesome reply. I spent 30 years in Rochester since birth and moved last April. My most recent apartment search there a few years ago was looking at the development along Mt Hope on the river. We decided against after a bit of sticker shock. Some developments, such as that, and a few other buildings, are interesting and notable, but I was surprised to see them dwarfed in comparison to what happens in eastern coast cities. I was first exposed to happenings in Wilmington, which is a dead town compared to the Charleston metro, but yet appeared to have more meaningful development to what I had experienced back home. The geography here makes for a heck of a traffic situation, so I think any traffic-inspired development around the Rochester area is interesting. It's not a negative, just an asterisk.

And yes, government in NY, Rochester, Monroe County, anywhere up there is terrible. I love reading stories of Cuomo's terrible approval rating. He needs to just stop and listen to people.

We will probably swing by Philly for an extended puddle jumping flight to Rochester for family. No place I'd rather stay than in good ol' SC nowadays. By the way, 75 and sunny today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area