Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 07:09 AM

3,517 posts, read 5,333,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilmara View Post
Here:

Rochester Development News - Page 176 - SkyscraperCity

They're actually missing a few too, like the Factory at 33 Russell Street and the Carriage Lofts in the Susan B. Anthony Neighborhood. Each one of these has either already broken ground or is coming from a reputable developer with a great track record in the city, so this isn't just some pie-in-the-sky list. Here's another list:

https://rocwiki.org/Development_Projects

There's also already been a ton of development downtown that has really paid off. According to the 2013 Downtown Housing Market Report, the population of downtown Rochester increased 11.5% from 2000-2010 and the 2013 market vacancy has dropped to 4.9%, well under recommended industry standards.

And on top of that, there's the city's Bicycle Master Plan, which has just been updated to include the development of bike boulevards. The planners have looked to Portland as an inspiration and hope to one day reach that level of bicycle-friendliness. This is a lot more significant than it sounds. Bicycle amenities (which are very cheap to install and maintain), walkability, and public transportation are very important to my generation, the Millennials. We're driving so much less than our parents and grandparents that auto manufacturers have actually gotten worried.

City of Rochester | Bicycle Master Plan Project
City of Rochester | Rochester Bicycle Boulevards Plan

Rochester is not dead. Have you even been back here in the past five years?
I moved last year...

And because of that, I know about most of the projects on the Rocwiki list and know that most of them are done or delayed. And the list itself spans 15 years worth of stuff.

I still get Rochester news in my RSS feeds, mainly to watch out for accidents or news about relatives. I can see what's going on, or rather, what's not going on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2014, 08:18 AM

8 posts, read 12,983 times
Quote:
Here:

Rochester Development News - Page 176 - SkyscraperCity

They're actually missing a few too, like the Factory at 33 Russell Street and the Carriage Lofts in the Susan B. Anthony Neighborhood. Each one of these has either already broken ground or is coming from a reputable developer with a great track record in the city, so this isn't just some pie-in-the-sky list. Here's another list:

https://rocwiki.org/Development_Projects

There's also already been a ton of development downtown that has really paid off. According to the 2013 Downtown Housing Market Report, the population of downtown Rochester increased 11.5% from 2000-2010 and the 2013 market vacancy has dropped to 4.9%, well under recommended industry standards.

And on top of that, there's the city's Bicycle Master Plan, which has just been updated to include the development of bike boulevards. The planners have looked to Portland as an inspiration and hope to one day reach that level of bicycle-friendliness. This is a lot more significant than it sounds. Bicycle amenities (which are very cheap to install and maintain), walkability, and public transportation are very important to my generation, the Millennials. We're driving so much less than our parents and grandparents that auto manufacturers have actually gotten worried.

City of Rochester | Bicycle Master Plan Project
City of Rochester | Rochester Bicycle Boulevards Plan

Rochester is not dead. Have you even been back here in the past five years?
Thanks for adding to this forum. I do have a question. Cost effective would bike lanes /Boulevards be worth it? The weather here really I / m / o don't justify the cost.

Old 02-15-2014, 09:17 PM

12 posts, read 23,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnypasture View Post
Thanks for adding to this forum. I do have a question. Cost effective would bike lanes /Boulevards be worth it? The weather here really I / m / o don't justify the cost.
I have theory about bike lanes actually. I don't think cities actually care very much about cyclists, as opposed to say pedestrians who are likely to stop in shops and restaurants and add to the perceived safety of an area. Obviously some bicyclists will stop and do the same, but many are just going from point a to point b like motorists or are exercising.

My suspicion is that the bike lanes are just an excuse to do road diets. I believe cities realize that if they could increase the time of a commute from the city to a place like webster, pittsford, or victor that it would increase the likelihood a person would be annoyed by the traffic and want to live closer either in the city or an inner ring suburb where they will be more likely to pay taxes to the city in some way shape or form. I actually think this is good policy, but its worth pointing out that rarely do governments go out of their way to attract a minority like cyclists and they are more likely looking at this from a tax and bottom line perspective.

Old 02-15-2014, 09:26 PM

12 posts, read 23,997 times
If I had to leave I'd want to move to a place like Providence, Seattle or Portland, Oregon.

I hate massive cities and still have nightmares about going to Brooklyn brewery on a Saturday and having to wait in line thirty minutes to get a beer tasting. This is obviously one instance, but I think it sums up my general displeasure with giant cities. I lived in the New York metro for several years and have no desire to go back.

I also like walkable places and hate sprawling southern/sun belt cities where you need a car to do anything. Not only do I find highways to be uninteresting and the driving to be tedious, but it also makes me feel unhealthy and unhappy.

My favorite city I've been to is Quebec City, but I'm not interested in enduring those winters or learning french...so oh well.

Old 02-16-2014, 10:47 AM

97 posts, read 201,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnypasture View Post
The weather here really I / m / o don't justify the cost.
On the contrary, cities with the biggest, most enthusiastic bicycling communities in America include Madison, Minneapolis, Boulder, Ann Arbor, Chicago, Denver, and Colorado Springs. Buffalo just got its bronze from the League of American Bicyclists, while Montreal, Canada is regularly recognized as one of the most bike-friendly cities in the world. All of these places have very significant winters, some even worse than Rochester's.

Biking in the winter is actually pretty easy to do once the streets are plowed. Fenders will prevent mud and snow from splashing on you, while the continuous exercise of your legs help keeps you warm. You can actually get snow tires for your bike too.

Old 02-16-2014, 12:37 PM

Quote:

Biking in the winter is actually pretty easy to do once the streets are plowed. Fenders will prevent mud and snow from splashing on you, while the continuous exercise of your legs help keeps you warm. You can actually get snow tires for your bike too.
Why not just move somewhere warmer?

Old 02-16-2014, 01:01 PM

Because I don't want to. I like it here in Rochester because it's affordable, walkable, full of beautiful architecture, and has great options for art and culture. I like the Public Market, the chorus I'm in, First Fridays in NOTA, reading by the reservoir in Cobb's Hill Park, all the festivals, coffee from Joe Bean and Fuego, long bike rides around the city and into Brighton, biking the Genesee River Trail up to Lake Ontario, cruising down Beach Avenue, all the sidewalk cafes on Park Avenue, the gritty funkiness of Monroe Avenue, waterfront dining at Corn Hill Landing, hanging out at Java's, trying all the many independent restaurants, the Strong Museum and Memorial Art Gallery, and witnessing all the progress being made on revitalizing downtown (can't wait for Hart's Local Grocers!). I work for the University of Rochester and have found them to be a fantastic employer. I'm also child-free so school aren't an issue. I lived in the Adirondacks (Old Forge and Inlet) for a full decade so I'm used to much worse in terms of weather.

I've been to New Mexico numerous times in both summer and winter, but felt the weather was just too monotonous. And yes, I've been to Charleston as well - we went last March and stayed at Wild Dunes Resort. It was a nice vacation and I got a very lovely coffee table book called Charleston Impressions but it just didn't click with me as a place I would consider living. As far as other cities go, I do like Annapolis quite a bit but it seems very, very pricey.

Old 02-16-2014, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Because I don't want to. I like it here in Rochester because it's affordable, walkable, full of beautiful architecture, and has great options for art and culture. I like the Public Market, the chorus I'm in, First Fridays in NOTA, reading by the reservoir in Cobb's Hill Park, all the festivals, coffee from Joe Bean and Fuego, long bike rides around the city and into Brighton, biking the Genesee River Trail up to Lake Ontario, cruising down Beach Avenue, all the sidewalk cafes on Park Avenue, the gritty funkiness of Monroe Avenue, waterfront dining at Corn Hill Landing, hanging out at Java's, trying all the many independent restaurants, the Strong Museum and Memorial Art Gallery, and witnessing all the progress being made on revitalizing downtown (can't wait for Hart's Local Grocers!). I work for the University of Rochester and have found them to be a fantastic employer. I'm also child-free so school aren't an issue. I lived in the Adirondacks (Old Forge and Inlet) for a full decade so I'm used to much worse in terms of weather.

I've been to New Mexico numerous times in both summer and winter, but felt the weather was just too monotonous. And yes, I've been to Charleston as well - we went last March and stayed at Wild Dunes Resort. It was a nice vacation and I got a very lovely coffee table book called Charleston Impressions but it just didn't click with me as a place I would consider living. As far as other cities go, I do like Annapolis quite a bit but it seems very, very pricey.
Have you ever lived elsewhere? I'd consider it. It's a refreshing experience!

Old 02-17-2014, 02:17 PM

As I've already mentioned, I've lived in West Chester, PA and Old Forge and Inlet in the Adirondacks. I also lived for several years in Clinton, NY, an affluent suburb of Utica (now THAT is what I call a dying city). I was born in Huntington Beach, CA. I have also traveled many times to Albuquerque, where I have relatives, so I'm quite familiar with that area too. I've actually only lived in Rochester for four years.

I don't know why you can't seem to accept the fact that people have different tastes than you do, or why Rochester seems to haunt your thoughts so much even though you left. If you really hate something so much, why dwell on it when it's behind you? You seem very bitter.

Last edited by Ilmara; 02-17-2014 at 02:29 PM..

Old 02-17-2014, 02:41 PM

Quote:
As I've already mentioned, I've lived in West Chester, PA and Old Forge and Inlet in the Adirondacks. I also lived for several years in Clinton, NY, an affluent suburb of Utica (now THAT is what I call a dying city). I was born in Huntington Beach, CA. I have also traveled many times to Albuquerque, where I have relatives, so I'm quite familiar with that area too. I've actually only lived in Rochester for four years.

I don't know why you can't seem to accept the fact that people have different tastes than you do, or why Rochester seems to haunt your thoughts so much even though you left. If you really hate something so much, why dwell on it when it's behind you? You seem very bitter.
Of course people have different tastes. And I will judge them for their tastes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area