Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2007, 05:30 PM

51 posts, read 173,344 times

Advertisements

Back on the fall of 2005, we had seriously contemplated a move to Rochester. Even after we made arrangements to rent a beautiful home, a family emergency came up and we put our move on hold. Time has come and gone, and now the idea of a move has come up again.

I'd like to find a place to rent by June at the earliest, August at the latest. It will be me, the hubby (who is taking the police test in July), my 17 and 12 year old boys and my 15 and 1 year old girls...yeah, I am SO done having kids! We need at least three bedrooms, even four. Our budget is not more than $900 in rent alone (utilities not counted in that amount). And, here's the clincher--we WANT to live in the city. Nope, no suburbs for us. We fell in love with the city itself on our househunting expeditions. Any tips, comments, etc. would be very much appreciated.

If we find the right property, we will rent it now and move in full time in June...

Last edited by mama_tucker; 01-20-2007 at 05:41 PM.. Reason: 'Cause I forgot something....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2007, 08:44 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,599,447 times
well....if you are planning on staying a while, my sugestion would be to buy in the city instead of renting. Most of the rental houses in the city of Rochester are in the more rundown neighborhoods. The nice neighborhoods have rentals that are large houses cut into apartments, but for the most part, the nice single family homes in the nice areas of the city are owner-occupied. It would be a good investment if you were planning on staying for a while and your credit allowed it. I'm not sure of your whole situation so take my advice with a grain of salt.

Old 01-20-2007, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed View Post
well....if you are planning on staying a while, my sugestion would be to buy in the city instead of renting. Most of the rental houses in the city of Rochester are in the more rundown neighborhoods. The nice neighborhoods have rentals that are large houses cut into apartments, but for the most part, the nice single family homes in the nice areas of the city are owner-occupied. It would be a good investment if you were planning on staying for a while and your credit allowed it. I'm not sure of your whole situation so take my advice with a grain of salt.

Well, we do plan on staying for quite some time...I'd like to raise our kids in Rochester. I'd entertained the idea of buying, but our credit and finances won't allow for it just yet. I don't want to overextend ourselves. Darned if I can't remember the name of the street where we were going to rent the house in Oct 2005 (old age will make you forget stuff! LOL). An apartment in a "multi family home" would be fine for now, as long as it is a good neighborhood.

Thanks for your help, I do appreciate it Let me know if there is anything else I'd need to know. I wish I would have kept my notes on moving to Rochester...

Old 01-21-2007, 06:35 AM

254 posts, read 1,058,507 times
Living in the city would be great..sending kids to city schools..you may want to re-think that one. Where my husband lived he went to East High School for 2 years and then he got a job to pay for going to McQuaid Jesuit HS. East is a VERY tough school..as are many of the city schools. There is no way I would feel safe sending my children to them. You could live on the other side of the city and send your kids to Wilson (not sure if it is open to everyone who lives in the area or if there is a waiting list) That would be the only city school to go to (plus it is one of the top schools in the country) You may want to research schools before deciding where to live..just my .02

Old 01-21-2007, 09:48 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,599,447 times
You wouldn't want to move to the west side of the city.......Wilson is a magnet school and you could live in the much safer, cleaner, and nicer east side of they city and gets your kids into Wilson.

Old 01-21-2007, 10:38 AM

134 posts, read 519,844 times
I totally agree with your plans to move into the city. It is so convient living here. With enough patience and searching, single family rentals can be found. And owner-occupied rentals are usually two unit homes with off street parking.

My suggestion is to look to the east side toward the city line. These are the places where most everyone is a decent neighbor and do not have the majority of troublemakers or crime. The best testament to where to live here is when visiting drive around the neighborhoods with homes for sale & rent. The areas that look like cr*p are areas you will stay away from. If you were to ask me to nail down a dividing line... I guess I would use Culver Road. East of Culver you should find reasonable rental homes / apartments... generally speaking.

East High a tough school? Come on....

I live on the east side of the city, graduated from Edison Tech (before it relocated to the west side), and my son graduated from East High. Yeah there are problems, but it's not like we are talking about the Hollywood versions of inner city schools on TV. Mama Tucker, If your kids have really decent grades, there is a real possibility of getting them enrolled in Wilson, which has a great reputation. (Wilson, East, & Edison are part of the school district Magnet Program). East High has a large percentage of graduating students enrolling in college compared with all the other city high schools. (notice that says graduating). There is a lot to be said for attending a high school with a diverse student population.

Old 01-21-2007, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate Dave View Post
I totally agree with your plans to move into the city. It is so convient living here. With enough patience and searching, single family rentals can be found. And owner-occupied rentals are usually two unit homes with off street parking.
And that would be just fine with me...as long as the landlord understands I have children (meaning pretty good kids, not loud a$$ heathens! LOL).

Quote:
My suggestion is to look to the east side toward the city line. These are the places where most everyone is a decent neighbor and do not have the majority of troublemakers or crime. The best testament to where to live here is when visiting drive around the neighborhoods with homes for sale & rent. The areas that look like cr*p are areas you will stay away from. If you were to ask me to nail down a dividing line... I guess I would use Culver Road. East of Culver you should find reasonable rental homes / apartments... generally speaking.
I think I was once told by someone when we were looking to Rochester the first time that there was a good neighborhood bordered by University Ave., Monroe Ave., Miegs St. and Culver or Winton Rd.. The house were were going to rent was on Crawford, out near Highland Hospital. Nice tree lined streets, VERY reasonable rent....sigh...

Quote:
Mama Tucker, If your kids have really decent grades, there is a real possibility of getting them enrolled in Wilson, which has a great reputation. (Wilson, East, & Edison are part of the school district Magnet Program). East High has a large percentage of graduating students enrolling in college compared with all the other city high schools. (notice that says graduating). There is a lot to be said for attending a high school with a diverse student population.
My 15 year old has pretty good grades, but the 17 and 12 year olds are having a difficult time. I know there was one other question--how do they get to school in the city? Do parents provide the transportation, or are there school buses? Sounds like a silly question but down here, if you live within 2 miles of the school, you aren't able to utilize school buses.

Old 01-21-2007, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama_tucker View Post
And, here's the clincher--we WANT to live in the city. Nope, no suburbs for us. We fell in love with the city itself on our househunting expeditions.

http://www.rochmagazine.com/

Apparently, the Jan/Feb 2007 issue is about moving INTO the city....guess I'll have to pick that one up

Old 01-22-2007, 10:08 AM

134 posts, read 519,844 times
I think the bus limit is more than 1.5 to 2 miles away. Last I knew the high school kids rode the local mass transit bus with a pass. I could be wrong... my son had to walk since we lived within walking distance.

The neighborhoods you mentioned are exactly what I was referring to. Go for it! Highland Hosp. area is great!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area