Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 03:42 PM

16 posts, read 35,253 times

Advertisements

I read all the postings regarding should i move to rochester NY or what is it like. well here is the truth in my opion. I moved from the suburbs of rochester NY in 2012.
Lets get the negatives out of the way
If you lived in the area your whole life that is why you think the food is really good. The food in the diners are terrible and if you like eating chicken wings and fattie foods and pizza that seems that it just came form a mirco wave then you will like it.
everyone says there is so much to do dont complain about the winter. well you never see anyboby out side in winter they all stay inside when they are not at work. the winter are long dark and really cold.
ok Jobs. Yes if you were lucky to have a good full time job for years then it is ok. but most now are temp jobs working 4X12 and midnights they are horrible for your family life and dont pay well. Sping is nice if you get one but it really dose not start wamrming up untill end of may. This is the truth. Sept is really nice if you are able to get out in the day time.
There is something to be said when a well known supermarket is one of the top employers for the area.
Oh the lake dont move away they are the best ROCKS in the sand and who knows what the dark green greesy stuff in the water is. if you dont like dark cold long long winters dont move here. Remember back in the day there was traffic when there was employment. They say all the people move come back That is not true. Ask why dosnt rochester do something to keep our kids there after the complete school instated of them leaving with their talent. rochester area is becoming old and nothing really changes because all the young people leave.

Ok the positive
The people are some of the nicest people I have met they are very polite. It dose not matter east or west side. The cost of living is really Good. Houses prices are good. No traffic But I belive the reason is above way. Schools are good . There are alot of nice towns. It is a safe place to raise a family and there are some really good medical in the area. The produce is excellent in the area and and all the farms where you can pick from a stand are also good. I dont hate rochester but there are alot of misleading about things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2012, 05:31 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,883,940 times
Except the food part (I have yet to have better food elsewhere) I agree with ya, but you're going to get flamed by the fanboys hard, so zip up that flamesuit if you plan on checking this thread again

Old 08-01-2012, 08:15 AM

Thanks for the warning. I have my suit on lol. There are only a few places where someone can say the food was excellent But i do respect your opion. On one of my points have you read D/C Canadaigua Lake the tar like substance was 80 year old oil also Rochester rates 28 for seniors to live. So now we push the young graduates to leave now the seniors who are left.

Old 08-03-2012, 01:57 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,081,826 times
You're most likely young, trying find your spot on the globe and have antsy feet. So you moved. Good for you. I know people that have and never came back and others who went here and there and then boomeranged right back. But wherever you land in life, the things that most of us want out of life never change: having friends and family nearby, a good job, some cool places to hang and good food to eat, and great schools, doctors and museums/cultural arenas.

The winters are awful at times here, but if the trend is anything like last winter, that's not going to be the case for long. And I know that my own kids (20s-30s) have never seen winters like I did so its been happening for a few decades now. And I'm beginning to deeply appreciate the amount of fresh water we have in upstate and the NE overall. With global warming becoming more and more evident, water will no doubt become a precious commodity.

And when I read how the south and Midwest is in the 100++ for weeks at a time, you will see no one outside in those places either, just a different season. There are very few places in the world that the weather is picture perfect all the time.

The old adage " the grass is never greener on the other side of the fence" is true; most likely, just a different shade of green.....

Good luck wherever you have landed

Last edited by Fallingwater79; 08-03-2012 at 02:54 PM..

Old 08-04-2012, 11:54 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,111,716 times
You wrote:

"Oh the lake dont move away they are the best ROCKS in the sand and who knows what the dark green greesy stuff in the water is."

Yes, there are rocky beaches (except for the state beaches). In the 1800's, residents used the rounded stones as building materials and built beautiful cobblestone houses. You can't find them anywhere else in the world.

And the dark green greasy stuff is seaweed. It's quite common worldwide.

Old 08-04-2012, 12:06 PM

Thanks Zinnia well said.

Old 08-04-2012, 04:51 PM

17 posts, read 32,278 times
Agreed. I just relocated out of Rochester for a good professional job. Rochester is in an economic decline; that's why the COL is low (supply and demand for housing) due to lack of well-paying jobs.

Old 08-04-2012, 05:25 PM

Also that is the reason there is no traffic.The jobs are gone. Lets take away all the temp employment and 50% of the remaing traffic will be gone. How many residents have what they can call a career job?

Old 08-04-2012, 05:27 PM

Please do not include any civil service job or any teaching careers

Old 08-04-2012, 05:28 PM

Or medical field
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area