Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 12:32 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,880,883 times

Advertisements

There is most likely nobody in the immediate Rochester area that can afford a 3 million dollar home that doesn't live in Brighton/Pittsford/Victor that instead has chosen to live close to the city. Anyone that does is someone whose intelligence I would highly, highly question.

Also, fun fact, there isn't salt on the roads year round, so you can actually drive an ultra expensive car during the non winter months. For example, I believe it's Colleen Wegman who owns and drive a new Ferrari 458, it has been spotted at the, you guessed it, Pittsford Wegmans many a time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2012, 01:12 PM

192 posts, read 530,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTaxedInNY View Post
There is most likely nobody in the immediate Rochester area that can afford a 3 million dollar home that doesn't live in Brighton/Pittsford/Victor that instead has chosen to live close to the city. Anyone that does is someone whose intelligence I would highly, highly question.

Also, fun fact, there isn't salt on the roads year round, so you can actually drive an ultra expensive car during the non winter months. For example, I believe it's Colleen Wegman who owns and drive a new Ferrari 458, it has been spotted at the, you guessed it, Pittsford Wegmans many a time.
I’m not sure of the exact housing prices but there are plenty of wealthy people who choose to live in the city. The mansions on East ave are just one example that we have already mentioned…Browncroft would be another. I know that Browncroft was where former Mayor now LT governor Bob Duffy lived, the chief of Police and many other important people in the city also choose to live there. The Browncroft estates are just as nice as the ones in the Sandringham drive/Council Rock section of Brighton.

Yes you can drive sports cars in the summer no problem… but I get the point Brentwood was trying to make. Some of the cities more affluent residents might not to flaunt their wealth, they might live a more frugal life, or they just choose to spent their money on things like traveling or a summer home.

Last edited by Corrion14621; 03-17-2012 at 01:20 PM..

Old 03-18-2012, 07:41 AM

205 posts, read 456,489 times
Quote:
Wow. Really? You want to call these people stupid? They do exist, and they are some of the smartest folks I know. Doctors, Lawyers, Business owners, etc. They care deeply for the city and are pushing to make it stronger every day. Their biggest complaint is this attitude of people in Rochester. You are, sadly, exhibit A. They know that they would never have their intelligence questioned for living in Pittsford. But then again, they don't feel the need to answer to people who hide in forums and throw uninformed stones.

You have obviously never read The Millionaire Next Door. I recommend it.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:06 AM

130 posts, read 275,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purdue512 View Post
Wow. Really? You want to call these people stupid? They do exist, and they are some of the smartest folks I know. Doctors, Lawyers, Business owners, etc. They care deeply for the city and are pushing to make it stronger every day. Their biggest complaint is this attitude of people in Rochester. You are, sadly, exhibit A. They know that they would never have their intelligence questioned for living in Pittsford. But then again, they don't feel the need to answer to people who hide in forums and throw uninformed stones.

You have obviously never read The Millionaire Next Door. I recommend it.
Can you please focus on the topic rather than your negative comment to
wards another forum member?

Old 03-18-2012, 08:19 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,880,883 times
Except for the fact that there is nothing worth 3 million dollars within the city limits, East Ave mansion or not, because it's within the city limits.

And being book smart doesn't necessarily mean they have common sense. Anyone with common sense wouldn't live in the city of Rochester if they had 3 million to spend on a home. And if I knew any of these retards who chose to, I would straight up tell them to their faces they're fools for doing so when there are many, many more viable options that include nicer homes on better pieces of larger land in quieter areas.

But hey, if a few nimrods are ignorant enough to think that a few millionaires amongst many poor can help save a city and "make it stronger", so be it.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:38 AM

93,326 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Being able to afford a 3 million dollar home and actually spending that much on a home are not necessarily the same. There may be people within city limits that could, but they may want to consider other factors for living in the city. Maybe it has to do with a shorter commute, walkability, cultural reasons, strong sense of community in such urban neighborhoods and so on.

Here are some examples here in Syracuse of such neighborhoods and this shows that many people with money still live in urban neighborhoods: SEDGWICK FARM NEIGHBORHOOD ASSOCIATION

Strathmore Neighborhood > The Neighborhood Association ( DNN 4.0.2 )

My Central New York: Scottholm Neighborhood Documented By Cornell Students

Berkeley Park Properties 1

Even within the city of Detroit, you can find such neighborhoods. So, it depends on what people want.

Old 03-18-2012, 04:48 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,095,324 times
So untrue. There are more wealthy people aroundd than you think. Some don't care to spend it. They live wherever they want, and some prefer not to live in Pittsford or Brighton.

Quote:

Old 03-18-2012, 05:35 PM

120 posts, read 340,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
So untrue. There are more wealthy people aroundd than you think. Some don't care to spend it. They live wherever they want, and some prefer not to live in Pittsford or Brighton.
Agreed.

I know people on and off of East Avenue in the more expensive homes and their kids go to Allendale or Harley for school. And no, these are not people who have to live in the city.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:08 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alw1964 View Post
Agreed.

I know people on and off of East Avenue in the more expensive homes and their kids go to Allendale or Harley for school. And no, these are not people who have to live in the city.
I'd dare say that some in that situation send their children to McQuaid, Aquinas, Mercy, some other private school or if they can get their child in there, School of the Arts.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:38 PM

49 posts, read 58,917 times
If you are relatively young in the family sense...and very well off and wish to partake of the all American Rochester you likely go to Pittsford or Brighton. Particularly if you want company...reasonable people with who you can have a social relationship.

Either will work. Pittsford schools are perhaps a modicum better but that is debateable. Brighton is more classic and old money. But probably less sociable to a newcomer.

If you want to buy a nice established mansion Brighton is better. But if you want the house that is the envy of the neighborhood hard core Pittsford.

I lived for 15 years in Brighton about 100 feet out of Pittsford. Nice semi-custom tract off French and Clover.

Either is quite suitable...though this guy sounds young and sociable so Pittsford is likely better.

You go to East Avenue and the nice city blocks when you are older and don't have to deal with children.

There really are no private schools competitive with Pittsford and Brighton. You send your kids where the other rich kids go. I moved one kid out of Brighton into one of the fancy private schools for a couple of years...but because she was a a really good con artist and was going to end up getting her parents investigated or arrested with her clever tales.

Don't trust your children completely. Some are just unable to deal with reality. And skilled at avoiding it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area