Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2012, 10:55 AM

2 posts, read 4,971 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are a young family with a 6 month old. We are from Rochester (well the burbs growing up, but rented in the past in the East/Park/Monroe area). We are currently looking for houses in the 70,000-90,000 range and quite a bit of nice ones have been popping up in the North Winton Village area. I was wondering if there were any sections of that area to avoid i.e. closer to Culver or East High or is the area in general pretty much the same regardless of where you are? I more looking for people who actually live in that area and their demographics and opinions on it. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 02:55 PM

120 posts, read 340,380 times
I live in the area bordered by East Main, Culver, Merchants and Winton. I live in a great neighborhood with affordable homes.

I have 2 school aged children. 1 is home schooled, 1 is at UCCS.

It all depends on the street. The closer you are to Merchants and Winton the quiester it tends to be. And I'm saying this as one that lives within a block of Culver and I know the end of my street near Merchants is quieter than my end. At the same time I have awesome neighbors on my end and love it. but I wouldn't want to live on the next 2 streets over and north of mine but the one 3 over is fine. It's quirky.

The next street south to mine is okay but better at the Merchants end.

If you cross Merchants the neighborhood is very nice but might be out of your price range, but maybe not.

These are all my personal opinions and based on my almost 15 years of living in my neighborhood and walking PAC TAC and walking my dog on the surrounding streets over the years.

I would start driving the neighborhoods day and night, weekdays and weeknights.

The area I live isn't considered Winton Village though. That would be more of the Streets closer to Main and near the library. There are some nice homes and quiet neighborhoods around UCCS (which is in the former St. John the Evangelist school) and is across the street from No. 28 school.

Good Luck.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:59 PM

169 posts, read 476,465 times
I have friends who lived on Grand just a few houses east of Culver for many, many years. The neighborhood there was fine, though as the previous poster indicated, the street got better the closer you got to Merchants. Of those streets east of Culver the only one that sometimes seemed a bit iffy to me was Parsells. Garson and Melville seemed fine. I also own a home on Marion Street, just south of Humboldt that I currently rent out. That is a great street all the way from Atlantic down to Blossom. In general, I would try to buy within a block or two of Winton myself.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:46 AM

2 posts, read 4,971 times
Thanks for the input. We really fell in love with a house around that area and offered on it and it got accepted. It's a little close to East High than I like, but I feel like we can deal with it. It's on the East side of Culver between East and Cedarwood Terrace on a small side street. I would have liked to have been closer to Winton, but the type of house we were looking for would have been out of our price range closer to Winton. It'll be a good house for us for the next 5ish years until our family out grows it.

Old 03-02-2012, 01:56 PM

120 posts, read 340,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laehsmom25 View Post
Thanks for the input. We really fell in love with a house around that area and offered on it and it got accepted. It's a little close to East High than I like, but I feel like we can deal with it. It's on the East side of Culver between East and Cedarwood Terrace on a small side street. I would have liked to have been closer to Winton, but the type of house we were looking for would have been out of our price range closer to Winton. It'll be a good house for us for the next 5ish years until our family out grows it.
Congratulations and Welcome to the neighborhood! I'm a couple of streets North of Cedarwood but lived on MacBeth Street many years ago. The side streets off of Cedarwood are pretty quiet from what I can tell. Again, I used to walk my dog around that area between 8 and 10 at night (I had a St. Bernard, I felt perfectly safe) and it was always very quiet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
View detailed profiles of: