Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2016, 08:58 PM

21,035 posts, read 27,424,960 times

Advertisements

I do not see how The Fresh Market and Kroger are threats to one another. The Fresh Market is a specialty gourmet grocer. Kroger is a supermarket with Kroger Marketplace hypermarket stores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2016, 05:35 AM

895 posts, read 2,102,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
I do not see how The Fresh Market and Kroger are threats to one another. The Fresh Market is a specialty gourmet grocer. Kroger is a supermarket with Kroger Marketplace hypermarket stores.
Well, Kroger offers plenty of gourmet products and more. They regularly stocked grass fed beef before or Fresh Market did and now that TFM is sticking less fresh food, there isn't much of a difference. When is comes to organics, Kroger's selection trumps both Whole Foods and TFM; the Simple Truth organics label at Kroger accounted for sales that were more than 10% of Whole Foods gross, and that was just one of the organic labels Kroger offers. When a company the size of Kroger's goes after competitors, as they have with TFM and Whole Foods, they are hard to beat. By the way, my Kroger is just a bit larger than a TFM store and has a fairly nice gourmet selection.

Old 09-05-2016, 08:17 AM

1,364 posts, read 1,121,573 times
Quote:
I can see Publix displacing Food Lion easily and creating competition for Kroger.
Publix addresses in my opinion a different demographic group. From everything what I hear and from what I see, Publix is significant more expensive than Food Lion. I know you this point different but I doubt that many customers from Food Lion would shop at Publix. Publix has entered Charlotte Metro a few years ago. I'm very sceptical about these market share statistics, but they are most likely not completely wrong. According to these guesses, Publix market share was 1.3% in 2014, and 6.0% in 2016. At the same time the market share of Food Lion grew from 18.7% to 19.1%.
Food Lion has surely not the nicest stores and personally I wouldn't like to shop there. But I doubt that Food Lion will go down the toilet, therefor the chain is too important for Ahold-Delhaize.

Old 09-05-2016, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sregorat3 View Post
Well, Kroger offers plenty of gourmet products and more. They regularly stocked grass fed beef before or Fresh Market did and now that TFM is sticking less fresh food, there isn't much of a difference. When is comes to organics, Kroger's selection trumps both Whole Foods and TFM; the Simple Truth organics label at Kroger accounted for sales that were more than 10% of Whole Foods gross, and that was just one of the organic labels Kroger offers. When a company the size of Kroger's goes after competitors, as they have with TFM and Whole Foods, they are hard to beat. By the way, my Kroger is just a bit larger than a TFM store and has a fairly nice gourmet selection.
If The Fresh Market is offering less fresh foods, it will see a quick demise. Its fresh food departments keep it in business.

Old 09-05-2016, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukas1973 View Post
Publix addresses in my opinion a different demographic group. From everything what I hear and from what I see, Publix is significant more expensive than Food Lion. I know you this point different but I doubt that many customers from Food Lion would shop at Publix.
Seeing Food Lion stores closed with Publix stores nearby tells a different story. When a Publix has vehicles in its parking lot and a Food Lion has an empty parking lot, it should be a clear sign to see which store is doing business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukas1973
Publix has entered Charlotte Metro a few years ago. I'm very sceptical about these market share statistics, but they are most likely not completely wrong. According to these guesses, Publix market share was 1.3% in 2014, and 6.0% in 2016. At the same time the market share of Food Lion grew from 18.7% to 19.1%.
There are factors that have played into the Charlotte, North Carolina, market. Publix has entered the market, is adding stores, and is gradually increasing market share. Bi-Lo and Lowe's Foods have closed stores and lost market share. Walmart is opening Walmart Neighborhood Market stores, which is counted as another participant with its own market share.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukas1973
Food Lion has surely not the nicest stores and personally I wouldn't like to shop there. But I doubt that Food Lion will go down the toilet, therefor the chain is too important for Ahold-Delhaize.
If Food Lion is important for Ahold Delhaize, many stores need complete updates, replacement stores, or closure. The banner is weak when compared to Giant-Carlisle, Giant-Landover, Hannaford, Martin's, and Stop & Shop.

Old 09-05-2016, 10:02 PM

13,155 posts, read 21,154,508 times
Quote:
If I was to first go to Kroger for my weekly shopping needs, odds are there wouldn't be that much more I would need to get from Fresh Market. But if I went to Fresh Market first for my weekly shopping needs, odds are I will still have to go to Kroger to get lots of items on my shopping list. So, if consumers hit Kroger first, they may decide to just get all what they need from that single sources even if it's not as "fresh" as Fresh Markets, or they may decide to forgo Fresh Market this time and do it all at Kroger. It's this reason that Whole Foods went from a mixed bag of store sizes and layouts to a more universal supermarket style operation. They realized that they need to keep people from going to other retailers especially when those retailers are also tapping the more organic - natural product selection.

Like everything retail, there are times when names and brands no longer address the changing demographics and buying patterns of the customer base. They may go out as a newer more popular retail names emerge.

Old 09-09-2016, 10:14 AM

126 posts, read 201,232 times
Ukrop's Ivy Market in Roanoke failed for a variety of reasons:

Recession
The perceived notion that Ukrop's was more expensive than Krogers
Krogers at Towers Shopping Center underwent a renovation and expansion
The shopping center development didn't go as planned (the project as a whole)
Ukrop's did not sell alcohol
Ukrop's wasn't open on Sundays
The market share at the time of the major grocers in the area (Kroger, WalMart, Food-Lion) were just too darn strong.

Personally, I feel that the Southside location wasn't centrally located but if Ukrop's was going for a different higher-income demographic then I definitely understand (if that was the primary reason for locating there).
Also going back to Kroger and Fresh Market at Towers Shopping Center, those two stores are powerhouses within itself and remarkably they co-exist with each other within the same center so I could imagine trying to make a dent in this particular trade area would be somewhat difficult. Also take into effect, you have another Kroger store at Tanglewood Mall and a Food Lion at Old Country Plaza up the hill from Tanglewood and if memory serves me correctly, there was a Food Lion located next to the Hunting Hills Plaza on Rte. 220.

I miss Ukrop's but grateful that their kitchen still makes alot of the prepackaged foods that the local Kroger stores carry here in the Valley. (just not labeled) *per two of the in-house chefs are two Kroger stores!

Old 09-27-2016, 08:06 PM

65 posts, read 78,575 times
I noticed there is a large parcel of land for sale across the 460 highway from the Kroger Superstore off Challenger Ave. Either
the Lidl store will go in at that location or a Publix. Imo the best location for grocery shoppers!!

Old 09-28-2016, 08:54 AM

Lidl #1100 is locating across Valley Gateway Boulevard from Square at Bosnack. Publix opening a store in the trade area is possible.

Old 09-30-2016, 02:55 PM

1,008 posts, read 489,565 times
An Aldi/Lidl/Trader Joes in SW Roanoke county would be great.

I miss Aldi's but I'm never over in that part of Roanoke nor would I be near the Lidl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area