Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 03:05 PM

11 posts, read 39,584 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone-thanks for reading my thread.

I'm looking to voluntarily relocate my family from the western suburbs of Twin Cities (Minnesota) to Richmond. We have 3 boys that will be in school within 3 years and i'd like to hear of the best areas for affordable housing around (200k) and decent schools. Overall MN is a great place to live, but the pros just don't surpass the horrible winters.

Reasons we would like leave MN:

1. Be closer to my wife's family that lives in Long Island and Pennsylvania who are also looking to move to the mid-Atlantic region.
2. I've been in MN my whole life and I'm done with the winters. I have developed SAD (seasonal affective disorder) and FOW (fear of winter) When the leaves change I can't enjoy it, I just see it as a warning that winter-doom is coming! People tell me in Nov/April that the "grass is always greener on the other side" but I just tell them "at least the other side has grass to look at!"
3. Housing is too expensive in the immediate suburbs of MSP/STP. We currently live 30 minutes form everything because it was the only area we could afford to live.
4. Liberalism and "progressive" mentality is out of control along with the taxes (8th highest overall)

Reasons we are looking into Richmond:
1. I work remotely and can live anywhere.
2. Closer proximity to my wife's family
3. Being near the ocean, mountains, DC, Williamsburg, US history
4. Richmond seems conservative. I've noticed this from the lefty's referring to Richmond as boring - which to me is a good thing. We are not looking for night life/clubs, culture, or artsy stuff. We have absolutely no interest in any of that. We do like all the museums and history that Richmond has to offer though!
5. Richmond still has four seasons. Based on NWS records it looks like Richmond gets 12" of snow per year...perfect and much better than 60" of snow and having last until May.

I do a lot of travelling for work and I can easily embrace the positive of what each city/suburb has to offer.

My question to the readers are:
1. What is your overall opinion of the area?
2. Do you plan on staying?
3. What suburb do you recommend we look at?
4. How are the outdoor activities? I noticed people have boats in Richmond. Where do they use them?

Thanks for reading this! I appreciate your responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 09:52 AM

1,799 posts, read 6,338,643 times
Not a transplant, but sounds like you should look at Chesterfield/Midlothian. The city itself is more and more liberal with lots of culture and artsy stuff, local restaurants, etc.

Old 08-06-2013, 06:20 PM

774 posts, read 1,700,137 times
Richmondpics is accurate as always but I'd caution you about your housing budget. In the better Richmond suburbs the entry fee is about 300K not 200K. For 200K you're generally talking about fairly trashy locales largely inhabited either by scary 'trailer-trash' type rednecks and/or 'ghetto' type thugs. This holds true in much of Chesterfield and Henrico both.

Doubtless there will be objections to that pronouncement but the fact remains that the more desirable neighborhoods cost more--always and everywhere. It's virtually a tautology if you think about it.

If a small-town atmosphere appeals to you, consider Ashland. It has an agreeable small-town vibe but is still within easy reach of the city. Anyway, you will like our relatively mild, short winters not to mention the additional wintertime daylight which comes with the lower latitude!

Old 08-06-2013, 09:10 PM

Thanks for the feedback Archguy. We would love Ashland, but seems to be out of our price range...sounds like we're screwed.

Old 08-07-2013, 12:20 AM

774 posts, read 1,700,137 times
One solution is to live out in the countryside. It's cheaper.

Five minutes' drive from Ashland and you are in real countryside.

Obviously many 'services' are lacking but some people really like it

Old 08-07-2013, 05:40 AM

1,799 posts, read 6,338,643 times
I don't know, I think there are still decent places to live closer to $200k in the counties. Areas near Bon Air along Huguenot maybe? Near Smoketree off Lucks Lane, Chester areas off Route 10? It's harder but not impossible. Don't want to blow up this guys plan completely.

Old 08-09-2013, 03:48 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,359,326 times
OP, have you considered any other areas in the Mid-Atlantic region? South Central PA is absolutely gorgeous--green, rolling, filled with beautiful old stone farmhouses--and it doesn't get much richer in American history than the Gettysburg to northern MD area, plus you're still a stone's throw from the history of VA without the extreme price tag. Safe and conservative are also two pros of this area. Sure, they have winter, but it also isn't as extreme as a MN winter. Gosh, I live in SE Michigan and we don't get nearly the winter that you guys get!

Old 08-11-2013, 07:20 PM

56 posts, read 93,494 times
I could have written your post! I also live in the twin cities area. We visited Richmond this summer. I left in June wearing pants and a sweater and proceeded to fall in love with Virginia. My family moved to MN 5 years ago for my husband's job. We have 5 kids and my husband often travels for work. I am sick of the cold and icky winters so we are looking to move next summer. Everything depends on weather or not my husband can find a tech. Job in the Richmond area. We have friends and family in that area so it would be a great place to try. We really liked the Midlothian area but will be making a trip out in December to further check the area out.

Have you noticed that it is already starting to smell like fall? I collected fall leaves and acorns yesterday with my kids. I felt some panic at seeing the signs of fall. Heck, it snowed in May and has been stormy and cloudy. 3 weeks of summer is not enough. I was born and raised in California and I really miss the hot weather.

I hope you find the perfect location!

Old 08-12-2013, 09:32 PM

Sarah42- Condolences...seriously. If you are from California the pain must be worse. We're visiting Richmond next week and hoping to find a home to purchase. Honestly, Minnesota is a great place to live, but the pros just don't surpass the cons when you add in the weather...even with having family/friends here. I hope the best for you in your move as well!

Old 08-28-2013, 08:06 AM

7 posts, read 10,365 times
My partner and I are being relocated from St. Louis to Richmond in the next few months. His job is taking him to Glen Allen - I am in healthcare IT and can work most anywhere remotely as a contract employee, but will be looking for full-time positions at one of the larger hospital chains there (preferable Bon Secours).

Our current house in STL is approximately 2,100sf, a 2-story brick house built in 1908 - was $165k when we bought in 2010. It was completely gutted to the studs and reimagined from the ground up with all new systems.

Hoping we can find something in the price range of $150-199k near his work, preferably newer construction. We liked living in an old(er) house, but since the entire thing was new on the inside, it was virtually maintenance-free.

Any suggestions on good communities on the north end of town by Glen Allen?

We will be traveling to Richmond for a pre-acceptance trip to look around in the next few weeks.

Thanks,
Chris
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond