Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2010, 08:40 AM

9 posts, read 35,199 times

Advertisements

We are contemplating a move to the Richmond suburbs. I am originally from New England and my husband is from the Midwest. After talking with friends this past weekend I started to worry that we would feel "out of our element" in the Richmond area. She lives in Chesterfield County and said she feels like she lives in the deep south where many people have, let's say, "outdated" views on the roles of women and minorities in society.

Is there a different feel between the Northern and Southern suburbs of Richmond?

How do midwest/new england transplants feel in the Richmond area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 09:15 AM

2,697 posts, read 8,694,440 times
I grew up in CT, went to college in VA, moved to Chicago after college for 4 years before returning to VA. I can't imagine you'd feel out of place in the Far West End. I would say that the suburbs are generally more conservative than NE. I would not say I've encountered outdated views of women's roles/ race relations (my family is biracial and the only place in this area I've felt uncomfortable was in a older Baptist church in downtown Richmond).

Old 01-25-2010, 03:43 PM

186 posts, read 470,744 times
I just moved here from NY. I have posted questions here in regards to where I would feel more comfortable ( in varying degrees.) I am now in what is considered the West End. I was recently going to make an offer on a home across the river and to the south. After walking through the mall located in the direct town, I totally saw why I should stay here in the West End. I think it depends also on if you want to be in area where the homes offer more land, or if you want things to be more convenient for you. Alot needs to be considered. I can tell you honestly, that I haven"t been here long but I have been called "Yankee" once already, but I can also tell you that I have run into some very nice people here as well.

Old 02-09-2010, 02:59 PM

845 posts, read 2,829,836 times
Virginia truly has a long way to go toward accepting women in political offices - I find women's lack of office-holding in Virginia, glaring. But to Virginia's credit, they had the nation's first ever Black governor (Doug Wilder).

Old 02-11-2010, 02:14 PM

3,756 posts, read 9,550,657 times
Back in time. Firstvisit was in December. Something about it............did not like it at all. I think they could tell I was a Northerner. But, that is ok, I enjoyed the visit. Too citified for me. There is a surface niceness, but in my opinion, not genuine at all.

Old 02-12-2010, 06:17 AM

3,756 posts, read 9,550,657 times
Someone told me long ago about that Southern Hospitaliity. It is fake. It seems that they are nice to you to your face, but selective when having you over for dinner. So many northerners have moved back and told me about their experiences and never feeling welcome. I am sure there are exceptions to this, but what does it matter where you come from?

Old 02-21-2010, 12:48 AM

16 posts, read 23,525 times
Short Pump is a microcosm of NoVa crossed with the Punjab. It has all the charm and sense of community as an airport.
Chesterfield, towards the west and north has a greater "local" population, as does the near west-end, and both populations share the same opinion that Short Pump is a phony fabricated altar to consumerism, and not representative of traditional (in the genteel sense) Virginia.

Old 02-21-2010, 12:53 AM

16 posts, read 23,525 times
The surface niceness perception is dead on. People here tend to be slaves to decorum and courtesies and their inability to be honest, truthful, and to the point is a serious social handicap, the irony of which is totally lost on them.

Old 02-21-2010, 08:12 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,734,455 times
Quote:
She lives in Chesterfield County and said she feels like she lives in the deep south
Chesterfield is a large county so it depends on the part she moved to. If its the part built within the past 20 years (route 360/288 corridor) then its going to have a Northern feel to it. These will also usually be subdividsion neighborhoods. If you go further out to older parts (route 10/150, 10/288, 10/chester corridor, near Powhatan line) then its going to be more Southern. These areas have much less subdivisions and more of southern feel. For example drive from 10/288 to 10/95 you can see the transitions. So it depends on what you want. I'm from NYC and tried the Northerner areas in the Far West End first. I didn't like it as I wanted the Southern feel. So I moved to the county west of it . And it was a totally different area. The people are friendlier, the drivers are calmers (people wave as they drive by too) and the neighbors mind their own business. On the road (15 miles of road) I live on there is only two subdividsons. So their entrances were designed for a southern feel (no large signs, no brick walls, many trees on its road frontage). As to the road, you can tell its a most southern area. It has one McMansion (someone had a brain fart). Most homes still have the trees (more than 10) in their front yards that are original to the land. But best of all, for me at least, I have no Northerner neighbors. So it depends on what you want. Do you want the Xanax feel or do you want the large quantities of coffee feel?

Old 04-29-2010, 04:21 AM

12 posts, read 41,374 times
We are from Connecticut and moved here 10 years ago. We live on the Southside (off Robious) and have NEVER felt any type of out of place. In fact, I was so amazed that MOST people were from the North, Midwest, NY, BOSTON and PA that I felt as if I had moved to CT, but with the traditions dated 10 years previous. Everyone is busy these days, and everyone has been affected by the economy, but most are still pretty friendly. Do you want a large custom home in a neighborhood, or a smaller cookie cutter one? If you wouldn't mind renting first, you may find what you like better. Contact Sue Tepper at Joyner Fine Prop. she is a wonderful agent. We just recently listed our house with here. We didn't sell because the market is not selling larger homes but she was great and knows a lot about this area. We are going to list through her property management team to rent for awhile! Good Luck! If you need want more info email me at wringrose@comcast.net
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond