Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2011, 06:14 PM

95 posts, read 162,085 times

Advertisements

I will be relocating to Richmond area shortly. I am focused on the northern suburbs - Ashland, Hanover, Glen Allen, Mechanicsville, Henrico. I am an empty nester, so school systems are not as important in this phase of my life. Where am I going to get the most value for my money? Most home for the least amount of money? What are the most desirable towns to live in? Should I be concerned about crime in any of these areas?

Any insights or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2011, 08:21 PM

24 posts, read 45,632 times
I grew up in Richmond and lived there up until 2 years ago. My parents still live in the area, Doswell in particular. It is located about 6 miles north of Ashland, off of I-95. In the Glen Allen area, there are lots of stores and restaurants and it all seems pretty safe. I've never felt unsafe in the areas of Ashland, Mechanicsville, Glen Allen. Ashland has a quaint, small town feel. In all of the areas you mentioned, you can find nice houses in quiet neighborhoods, you just have to drive around and see how you like it.

Old 11-12-2011, 09:30 AM

14 posts, read 28,315 times
I was recently in the same boat. Did LOTS of research. Was looking for a nice end unit townhome. Wanted a area with an HOA (to enforce community standards), didnt want a pool (raises HOA fees due to high maintenance/insurance costs) and didnt want a massive neighborhood. Wanted low crime rate area, didnt want to live next to or near apartments, wanted excellent shopping nearby. Something nice and quiet. Ended up finding 2500 square foot single family all brick (brick on all 4 sides) home in Glen allen in a GREAT area. Lindenpointe is the development name. On corner of Staples Mill road and Springfield road. They are moving fast at the currnet price point..sold 6 in last month or so. Only a few lots left. Zoned for the brand spanking new Glen Allen High school as well. Price range is from $330 but right now it's $30k off of that. A steal for what you get.

Last edited by bmwstuff; 11-12-2011 at 09:48 AM..

Old 11-14-2011, 07:10 PM

1,949 posts, read 4,421,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riggo44 View Post
I will be relocating to Richmond area shortly. I am focused on the northern suburbs - Ashland, Hanover, Glen Allen, Mechanicsville, Henrico. I am an empty nester, so school systems are not as important in this phase of my life. Where am I going to get the most value for my money? Most home for the least amount of money? What are the most desirable towns to live in? Should I be concerned about crime in any of these areas?

Any insights or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Can't go wrong with Western Henrico or Glen Allen (which is still Henrico)

Old 11-15-2011, 01:43 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,313,977 times
Great little neighborhood. I live just down the road from you We didn't buy in there b/c we wanted a little more yard, but it really is lovely!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwstuff View Post
I was recently in the same boat. Did LOTS of research. Was looking for a nice end unit townhome. Wanted a area with an HOA (to enforce community standards), didnt want a pool (raises HOA fees due to high maintenance/insurance costs) and didnt want a massive neighborhood. Wanted low crime rate area, didnt want to live next to or near apartments, wanted excellent shopping nearby. Something nice and quiet. Ended up finding 2500 square foot single family all brick (brick on all 4 sides) home in Glen allen in a GREAT area. Lindenpointe is the development name. On corner of Staples Mill road and Springfield road. They are moving fast at the currnet price point..sold 6 in last month or so. Only a few lots left. Zoned for the brand spanking new Glen Allen High school as well. Price range is from $330 but right now it's $30k off of that. A steal for what you get.

Old 11-16-2011, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmma View Post
Great little neighborhood. I live just down the road from you We didn't buy in there b/c we wanted a little more yard, but it really is lovely!
howdy neighbor! Are you in Carrington neighborhood by chance? This summer when I was searching, I saw a GREAT deal on a Fannie Mae foreclosure in there. IN fact, it was such a great deal there was bidding that took the price up and over the initial Fannie asking price. Loved that neighborhood and some gorgeous homes in there.

Old 11-16-2011, 07:09 PM

No, but we also looked in Carrington. We ended up building in Hunton Park. So far, we are pretty happy there...a bit tucked away...

Quote:
howdy neighbor! Are you in Carrington neighborhood by chance? This summer when I was searching, I saw a GREAT deal on a Fannie Mae foreclosure in there. IN fact, it was such a great deal there was bidding that took the price up and over the initial Fannie asking price. Loved that neighborhood and some gorgeous homes in there.

Old 11-19-2011, 07:04 AM

Ok..Hunton Park definitely had some nice homes, but we preferred the smaller character of LindenPointe and the slightly closer proximity to Short Pump. But true, the yards in Hunton are significantly larger than Lindenpointe.

Old 11-21-2011, 06:54 PM

Yes, even though we are just a few minutes down the road, we are still kind of "out there" lol!
Quote:
Ok..Hunton Park definitely had some nice homes, but we preferred the smaller character of LindenPointe and the slightly closer proximity to Short Pump. But true, the yards in Hunton are significantly larger than Lindenpointe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond