Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2022, 11:03 AM

367 posts, read 547,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
This is a desperate response to validate your own actions. Bottom line if you don't like the posts dont read them and certainly don't respond to them. Otherwise, accept that it's an open board and if posts stay alive it's in big part because of your actions, not other people's actions.
^ This times 1000.

I don’t post often here but being a native Rhode Islander I like to periodically browse the topics in this forum. When I do take the time to look at it, I always see the same posters constantly attacking anyone who voices a negative comment about the state. I find it bizarre that people take such criticism personally. If an individual elects to comment on a less than optimal aspect of RI or one of its cities, neighborhoods, etc, that is that person’s right and to respond with attacks or worse question a person’s motives is ridiculously petty.

If you like RI, great! I like it as well and even though I no longer live there, I miss many aspects of it and I always love to return to visit family who still reside there. There are many beautiful parts of the state and its coastline is one of the prettiest in the country. It also has in my opinion some of the best food and restaurants in the United States- even better than many in New York, Boston, California, etc.

On the other hand, RI has its downsides as well. I think it is terribly run and its corrupt reputation is well-deserved, and I happen to agree with massnative71 about the crime in several notable Providence neighborhoods. If you don’t agree, that is fine but in my opinion it would better serve people, especially those who are unfamiliar with the state but trying to learn about it via the posts in this forum, by commenting about your personal experience as to why you feel differently rather than questioning someone else’s reason for the negativity of the post, accuse the individual of trolling, or wondering why that person is commenting just because he/she doesn’t live in the state. Remember, there could be any number of reasons why someone who doesn’t live there may comment including that person may have family/friend connections there, may have lived there previously, may just want to offer his/her experience to help others, etc, etc.

I currently live in Minnesota which until recently always ranked near the top of numerous poles for quality of life. The last few years since the George Floyd riots have taken a tole and crime has risen exponentially here. If someone points out that certain neighborhoods have taken a turn for the worse and become crime-ridden, I don’t take offense. It’s true, and similarly, if someone points out crime or a less positive aspect of Providence or RI, unless you are specifically being attacked as person, in my opinion it’s best not to take negative criticism of a place so personally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2022, 01:06 PM

5,161 posts, read 2,721,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020's YouTube Vlog View Post
The tension in the northeast is like Selma, AL in the 1960s. What happened?

What ever gave you that idea?

Old 05-08-2022, 01:14 PM

23,775 posts, read 18,899,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhody2Mn View Post
^ This times 1000.

I don’t post often here but being a native Rhode Islander I like to periodically browse the topics in this forum. When I do take the time to look at it, I always see the same posters constantly attacking anyone who voices a negative comment about the state. I find it bizarre that people take such criticism personally. If an individual elects to comment on a less than optimal aspect of RI or one of its cities, neighborhoods, etc, that is that person’s right and to respond with attacks or worse question a person’s motives is ridiculously petty.

If you like RI, great! I like it as well and even though I no longer live there, I miss many aspects of it and I always love to return to visit family who still reside there. There are many beautiful parts of the state and its coastline is one of the prettiest in the country. It also has in my opinion some of the best food and restaurants in the United States- even better than many in New York, Boston, California, etc.

On the other hand, RI has its downsides as well. I think it is terribly run and its corrupt reputation is well-deserved, and I happen to agree with massnative71 about the crime in several notable Providence neighborhoods. If you don’t agree, that is fine but in my opinion it would better serve people, especially those who are unfamiliar with the state but trying to learn about it via the posts in this forum, by commenting about your personal experience as to why you feel differently rather than questioning someone else’s reason for the negativity of the post, accuse the individual of trolling, or wondering why that person is commenting just because he/she doesn’t live in the state. Remember, there could be any number of reasons why someone who doesn’t live there may comment including that person may have family/friend connections there, may have lived there previously, may just want to offer his/her experience to help others, etc, etc.

I currently live in Minnesota which until recently always ranked near the top of numerous poles for quality of life. The last few years since the George Floyd riots have taken a tole and crime has risen exponentially here. If someone points out that certain neighborhoods have taken a turn for the worse and become crime-ridden, I don’t take offense. It’s true, and similarly, if someone points out crime or a less positive aspect of Providence or RI, unless you are specifically being attacked as person, in my opinion it’s best not to take negative criticism of a place so personally.

Thank you. Pretty much spot on with everything here. But with all said, I do not consider myself a RI detractor and have provided much in the way of complimentary substance over the years (which interestingly gets ignored most of the time). Meanwhile, you have the same usual small handful of thin skinned bullies here who desperately try to "run out of town" any poster who doesn't "abide by their rules". They generally aren't even from RI themselves. They protest to no end the "negativity" of others, yet ironically have nothing positive to contribute of their own most of time (too busy "fighting the trolls, apparently). They have created a toxic environment here, that has kept participation extremely low.

Old 05-08-2022, 01:17 PM

5,161 posts, read 2,721,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhody2Mn View Post
^ This times 1000.

I was on a thread in MA and I was recommending Providence as one option to an individual who asked about Springfield and Western MA. One of the Providence "regulars" from this board commented in an almost scolding tone as to why I kept recommending Providence to this adult person because Providence was out of her budget, and that RI had become unaffordable due to being "inundated with refugees from Boston and New York." There have certainly been a lot of people from MA moving to RI and I'm aware of that. Thing is, most of them are working in MA because RI has few jobs.

You can't win. There will always be busy-bodies around trying to tell people what to post and what not to post. It's as if they are the arbiters of all truth and their opinions are the only right ones.

Old 05-08-2022, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
This is simply a huge steaming pile. Your Rhode Island posts are trolls.

Here are the profoundly negative threads you have started that are right at the top of this subforum:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/rhod...east-side.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/rhod...niversity.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/rhod...-elmhurst.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/rhod...-stabbing.html

^ This post shows a complete lack of critical thought, and a desperate eagerness to follow the crowd in hopes of gaining acceptance here. Trolling? I've been a regular and invaluable member of this community for over a decade. I have a history of providing relocation advice and other assistance to multiple inquirers (many who have thanked me long after the fact), all when the so called "locals" are often nowhere to be found. Unlike you GeoffD, I have advanced knowledge of this state as well as deep roots.

Old 05-08-2022, 02:14 PM

8,029 posts, read 4,732,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
^ This post shows a complete lack of critical thought, and a desperate eagerness to follow the crowd in hopes of gaining acceptance here. Trolling? I've been a regular and invaluable member of this community for over a decade. I have a history of providing relocation advice......
Somebody hit the nail directly on the head. History of invaluable advice (if he does say so himself)? Invaluable member? Cut & Pasted all the way from the woods of Maine. Indeed. What a "crime reporter" troll says to himself to sleep at night.

Old 05-08-2022, 02:18 PM

3,857 posts, read 2,734,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
I've been a regular and invaluable member of this community for over a decade. I have a history of providing relocation advice and other assistance to multiple inquirers (many who have thanked me long after the fact), all when the so called "locals" are often nowhere to be found. Unlike you GeoffD, I have advanced knowledge of this state as well as deep roots.

Invaluable? Advanced knowledge?

No. You have google and a disproportionately-sized ego.

Old 05-08-2022, 02:42 PM

8,029 posts, read 4,732,545 times
Quote:
You can't win. There will always be busy-bodies around trying to tell people what to post and what not to post. It's as if they are the arbiters of all truth and their opinions are the only right ones.
An opinion is like you know what. We all have one. Yours, mine & everybody else's here. All shareable on this little forum. But, I take no joy in the harsh tenor I've taken with this fellow.

Last edited by independent man; 05-08-2022 at 02:50 PM..

Old 05-08-2022, 02:49 PM

7,817 posts, read 2,914,536 times
Quote:

And unfortunately they currently run our nation's government.

But I digress...

Old 05-08-2022, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
Invaluable? Advanced knowledge?

No. You have google and a disproportionately-sized ego.

Carry on with your childish snicker all you want, but those are not just my words. Anybody credible can vouch for the reliability of the information I provide here. Not sure the same can be said about yourself. Think about that for a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island