Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2022, 09:54 AM

9,285 posts, read 14,890,077 times

Advertisements

I agree. Sales taxes too regressive- plus Rhode Islanders can easily buy in MA or CT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2022, 10:56 AM

1,549 posts, read 3,053,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Do you mean a general sales tax on all purchases or a tax on a house when sold?
10 % sales tax on resold homes and maybe a higher tax on new construction, single or multi family. But, there would be no yearly property tax. Yearly resales and new construction would fuel the income whether prices go up or down.

Old 04-25-2022, 06:10 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2448 View Post
10 % sales tax on resold homes and maybe a higher tax on new construction, single or multi family. But, there would be no yearly property tax. Yearly resales and new construction would fuel the income whether prices go up or down.
So you’re going to penalize first time home buyers by putting a 10% tax on the transaction? Fine public policy, not. We already have an enormous middle class housing affordability problem. Nationally, prices have almost doubled in the last decade.

There are places taxing foreign investor transactions like that. Canada is now doing it for the whole country, I believe. Vancouver has had a 15% non-owner occupied tax for several years to try to slow down their crazed housing market. The Chinese have been buying everything. My sister’s Vancouver house is worth $3 million as a teardown. 33’ frontage lot on a leafy street with alley parking behind the house. The houses on either side of her were sold to Chinese developers, scraped off the lot, and replaced with new houses with Chinese features like a second wok kitchen.

In my opinion, the problem is using property taxes to fund K-12 at the town level. The affluent towns become fortresses keeping those undesirable poor people out since they’ll contaminate the school system. Try putting an affordable housing project in Barrington and see what happens. It’s great if you own in Barrington. Not so great if you’re over the line in East Providence. All of southern New England has the problem.

Old 04-25-2022, 06:44 PM

1,549 posts, read 3,053,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
So you’re going to penalize first time home buyers by putting a 10% tax on the transaction? Fine public policy, not. We already have an enormous middle class housing affordability problem. Nationally, prices have almost doubled in the last decade.

There are places taxing foreign investor transactions like that. Canada is now doing it for the whole country, I believe. Vancouver has had a 15% non-owner occupied tax for several years to try to slow down their crazed housing market. The Chinese have been buying everything. My sister’s Vancouver house is worth $3 million as a teardown. 33’ frontage lot on a leafy street with alley parking behind the house. The houses on either side of her were sold to Chinese developers, scraped off the lot, and replaced with new houses with Chinese features like a second wok kitchen.

In my opinion, the problem is using property taxes to fund K-12 at the town level. The affluent towns become fortresses keeping those undesirable poor people out since they’ll contaminate the school system. Try putting an affordable housing project in Barrington and see what happens. It’s great if you own in Barrington. Not so great if you’re over the line in East Providence. All of southern New England has the problem.
There is affordable housing in Barrington off Washington Road and apartments on Bay Spring, probably in the former mill building. Also along Sowams Road. But, what is considered affordable housing in Barrington does not translate into the same pricing as in the inner cities.

Old 05-15-2023, 07:47 PM

17,677 posts, read 9,155,986 times
Bumping this thread.

Mott & Chace Announces 2nd Highest Sale in Providence This Year - St. Florian Designed College Hill

127 Pratt Street

$2.2 million

Street View: https://goo.gl/maps/ohoxuSxYF76ah1987

I get that it's a great location (though it doesn't go all the way through to Benefit Street), but what's so special about this house?

Old 05-16-2023, 07:09 AM

3,934 posts, read 2,184,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Bumping this thread.

Mott & Chace Announces 2nd Highest Sale in Providence This Year - St. Florian Designed College Hill

127 Pratt Street

$2.2 million

I get that it's a great location (though it doesn't go all the way through to Benefit Street), but what's so special about this house?
Cool view
Updated modern
Move in ready
Is it solid concrete build?
garage in the city
In town but with a bit of privacy outside: patio, neighbors, etc

The price seems right judging on location in the city, in New England, in Northeast

Old 05-16-2023, 07:56 AM

12,825 posts, read 21,993,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Bumping this thread.

127 Pratt Street

$2.2 million

I think the price seems about right all things considered. The market is still nuts, the location is great, it's designed by an internationally renowned architect (that matters to some), it's pretty big, it has a unique and thoughtfully laid out interior, great views, etc.

Old 05-16-2023, 12:57 PM

17,677 posts, read 9,155,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I think the price seems about right all things considered. The market is still nuts, the location is great, it's designed by an internationally renowned architect (that matters to some), it's pretty big, it has a unique and thoughtfully laid out interior, great views, etc.
Thanks for posting the Zillow link. The house really is impressive. There's even an elevator. The street view of the garage had given me the impression that it was run down.

Old 05-17-2023, 03:01 PM

9,285 posts, read 14,890,077 times
House prices are determined mostly by comps unless a seller is being ridiculously unrealistic. I'm not seeing any evidence of that. There are very few houses for sale and very high demand.

According to this article, there are now more licensed realtors in RI than there are houses on the market. Lowest number on market in my 40+ memory.

https://www.golocalprov.com/business...se-on-the-mark

Last edited by Hollytree; 05-17-2023 at 03:11 PM..

Old 05-18-2023, 03:43 AM

8,065 posts, read 4,684,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
House prices are determined mostly by comps unless a seller is being ridiculously unrealistic. I'm not seeing any evidence of that. There are very few houses for sale and very high demand.
Indeed. While the lack of inventory & high interest rates have calmed much of the rest of the state, the East Side is still on fire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island