Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2017, 12:31 PM

683 posts, read 836,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2448 View Post
sorry, disagree with you on this. The recent Golocalprov article about cranes in the sky and the lack of them in Providence, points out the provincial attitude in Providence when it comes to high rises. Some cities have 20 or 30 cranes in the sky. Do you think that these were all projects taking decades coming to fruitation?
You are correct, but took my quote out of context. The discussion was about one particular now very dead project. Rhode Islands problem is old timers with no desire to change to make the city great... Too many making money off of their repeated failures. We should have a few cranes up from the Boston effect at the least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2017, 05:50 AM

8,505 posts, read 4,582,072 times
Tower clears hurdle

But 46-story proposal faces a needed zoning change

By Kate Bramson Journal Staff Writer

Tower clears hurdle - The Providence Journal, 2017-07-26

Old 07-26-2017, 10:30 AM

3,853 posts, read 2,723,374 times
I am glad to see that this thing isn't dead yet. I still think it needs to be scaled down. It's kind of ineresting that the 195 Commission isn't doing more to address scale. So the Providence City Council is left as the gate keeper in that regard? <<<Gulp>>>.

And I am still concerned about a negative impact on the park.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Projo
Another hurdle the project must leap is General Assembly approval to alter the configuration of that planned city park. 195 District Executive Director Peter McNally has said the commission isn’t considering reducing the size of the park, but would need to change its shape for the Fane tower.
I think they might have this backwards. Public space such as parks, which are so desperately needed in Providence, should not be sacrificed for developments such as this. They didn't say how the park must change, and maybe the change is slight, but sacrificing park design should be an absolute last resort.

Old 07-28-2017, 12:34 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,793,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
I would have to disagree. Parks are scarce downtown and the entire area is already walkable so I don't see a problem with leaving green space.

I just wish they would stick to the height limits already agreed upon.
The primary purpose of moving R195 wasn't to create a stupid park, aka a waste of space. This city has enough parks for the homeless, toothless, drug dealers, muggers, gangs to hang out, people to get harassed, people walking their pitbulls, prostitutes, drag queens, trash/litter, etc. India Point Park, Water Place Park, Burnside Park, and the oversized Roger Williams Parks are a few. The developer should just throw those buildings up now, and worry about all the semantics later, it's the Rhode Island way. And they should be tall, so we can see them. Three of them! Perfect! Glad to see a structure going up on the corner of Smith St, and Canal, that area was an eye sore, all swamp like. Also, they need to build a nice train station on the State House Lawn, nothing too tall over there, just a couple of stories. It makes the area look busy.

Last edited by 9162; 07-28-2017 at 12:45 PM..

Old 04-24-2018, 07:15 PM

3,853 posts, read 2,723,374 times
I guess Fane decided that a building 400 feet tall was not out of scale enough for the Providence skyline. So now he is requesting a zoning change to 600 feet.

Public comment is being taken during the City Plan Commission meeting at the Providence Public Safety complex at 4:45 pm Wed. April 25.

Old 04-25-2018, 06:04 AM

9,324 posts, read 14,943,284 times
I think he's "requesting" that so he can get the 400 feet.

Please stand with PPS at the City Plan Commission meeting and voice your opposition to the proposed Fane Tower on Parcel 42 of the I-195 District. The developer has petitioned to City Council to request THREE text changes in the Zoning Ordinance and a change in the Official Zoning Map to accommodate this project.

Click here to learn more about this project, to read PPS's letter about it, to see the CPC Agenda and to learn how you can MAKE YOUR VOICE HEARD!

City Plan Commission
Public Hearing
**Note: New Venue**

Wednesday, April 25, 2018, 4:45pm
325 Washington Street
Providence Public Safety Complex
Enter on Dean Street across from the parking garage.
Please be aware that there will be a metal detector at the entrance.

This project is bad for Providence

It is out of scale physically and for absorption of units

It will be detrimental to an enjoyable streetscape

It lacks public benefit but will demand public subsidy

It is not in compliance with the comprehensive plan and zoning ordinance
(that YOU helped create)

Old 04-25-2018, 08:01 AM

8,029 posts, read 4,723,566 times
^^^^^^^^^^
As an active member of PPS, I respectfully disagree with their position. They will oppose anything threatening to take resources away from Providence's historic fabric. That's what they do, and do well. The details matter. An iconic skyscraper - if executed right - could be a magnificent addition to a city in real need of a jump start. Many of the great(er) cities of the world have lone standing skyscrapers. The devil will be in the details.

By the way, a deal may be on the way for the Superman Bldg. Rumor has it a big, big tenant has been identified.

Old 04-25-2018, 08:36 AM

8,505 posts, read 4,582,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
^^^^^^^^^^
As an active member of PPS, I respectfully disagree with their position. They will oppose anything threatening to take resources away from Providence's historic fabric. That's what they do, and do well. The details matter. An iconic skyscraper - if executed right - could be a magnificent addition to a city in real need of a jump start. Many of the great(er) cities of the world have lone standing skyscrapers. The devil will be in the details.

By the way, a deal may be on the way for the Superman Bldg. Rumor has it a big, big tenant has been identified.

Would that tenant be Hasbro? If so, Pawtucket will receive another death blow adding to the recent closing of Memorial Hospital and possible loss of the Pawsox. What will the state of RI do to help the city overcome all of these one upon another massive setbacks?

Old 04-25-2018, 12:42 PM

9,324 posts, read 14,943,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
^^^^^^^^^^
An iconic skyscraper - if executed right - could be a magnificent addition to a city in real need of a jump start. They will oppose anything threatening to take resources away from Providence's historic fabric.
Or it could be a real eyesore if it's too big which I think this one is.

Also, "take resources away from "Providence's historic fabric"??????? Not sure what that means but a building that does not fit harmoniously into the scape of the city- sure they will oppose. At what point would you draw the line? There should be city planning.

A jump start????? Have you been downtown lately- the place is crawling with new construction.

Last edited by Hollytree; 04-25-2018 at 01:01 PM..

Old 04-25-2018, 01:08 PM

8,029 posts, read 4,723,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Or it could be a real eyesore if it's too big which I think this one is.

Also, "take resources away from "Providence's historic fabric"??????? Not sure what that means but a building that does not fit harmoniously into the scape of the city- sure they will oppose. At what point would you draw the line? There should be city planning.

A jump start????? Have you been downtown lately- the place is crawling with new construction.
Not to diminish what's happening downtown, but by jump start, I meant something BIG which might help with the city's $2b pension & health care liabilities - avoiding eventual bankruptcy. Not the handful of uninspired suburban looking, "budget" hotels & apartment buildings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island