Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 03:45 PM

3,865 posts, read 2,764,663 times

Advertisements

The Projo is reporting that a developer is proposing three skyscrapers on former I-195 land.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Projo
An out-of-state developer wants to build three high-end residential towers on former Route 195 land, with the tallest at 55 stories — far higher than anything else in the city and beyond what's currently allowed under city zoning regulations.
Off the cuff, that scale seems a bit inappropriate for Providence. But it is good to see somebody is finally paying attention to the opportunity the land presents. What do you think?

Meanwhile, the developer who owns the 26 story Industrial Trust Tower aka Superman building is going to hold more tours in an effort to drum up public support for subsidies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2016, 05:13 PM

23,880 posts, read 19,064,049 times
If the city were smart, they would ask this developer to invest in the Superman in exchange for waiving the height requirement.

Old 11-14-2016, 07:13 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,474,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
If the city were smart, they would ask this developer to invest in the Superman in exchange for waiving the height requirement.
Yeah, like you say. Or some other gimmes that for once make some sense. Personally, long term I don't think the city's skyline will include the Superman building

Old 11-14-2016, 07:46 PM

3,865 posts, read 2,764,663 times
Quote:
I had similar thoughts, and it's why I juxtaposed the two stories. But if the government were to propose that, wouldn't it be called out by the state Repubicans as borderline coercion? Better would be if the developer proposing the towers came to the table with a commitment to invest in the Superman building as a bargaining chip…

I say "government", not "city", because--as was the case with the Paw Sox Stadium proposal--it looks as if Elorza will be bypassed in the discussions. From the same story I linked earlier:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Projo
Fane said he has been working on the project for months and has met with Commission Chairman Joseph Azrack, 195 Executive Director Peter McNally and commissioner Robert C. Davis. Fane declined to say whether he has met with Governor Raimondo. Fane said he has not met with Providence Mayor Jorge O. Elorza.
I don't want to speculate here as to whether Elorza would be up to the task of negotiating a deal of this size, but it reads like Nanny Raimondo won't give him the chance anyway.

Old 11-15-2016, 04:04 AM

8,029 posts, read 4,755,465 times
This "Providence as Dubai" concept is outlandish, to say the least. Where is the market (research)? And, the idea that the developer would help out with the Superman Building, just to get permission to execute the crazy heights of these fantasy buildings, is even more outlandish!

Old 11-15-2016, 06:00 AM

9,367 posts, read 15,011,811 times
Downtown has height limits and they should be enforced. Waivers should not be granted. Believe that was one of the purposes of the downtown development review commission.

Old 11-15-2016, 08:21 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,628,602 times
This is bad timing.

The population of Providence is about to be reduced by 5,000-50,000 people.

Next year, all the news will be about Elorza's arrest for violating Federal laws,
or his removal from office after $300 million of Federal aid is cut off.
Raimondo will have her hands full complying with the Trump
administration. Other cities and towns in RI are already talking about pressuring
Providence to get with the program or be deprived of any State aid also.

It's going to be a tumultuous year for the capitol city.
This project will go nowhere in 2017.

Old 11-15-2016, 09:40 AM

2,903 posts, read 3,474,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
This "Providence as Dubai" concept is outlandish, to say the least. Where is the market (research)? And, the idea that the developer would help out with the Superman Building, just to get permission to execute the crazy heights of these fantasy buildings, is even more outlandish!
A classic! But it doesn't hurt to dream, does it, as this is going nowhere. I just know if they keep digging they'll find a loads of savvy businessmen waving hundreds of millions of dollars of development fees and creating masterworks near highways in Providence. This is, after all, the Era of the Donald. "Gina Tower." Too ethnic, perhaps.

Old 11-15-2016, 11:12 AM

683 posts, read 841,775 times
Quote:
I like it! Both projects are completely opposite from one another so we would benefit.

Projects like this come once in a life time. Of course the proposal really means one tower at a time. I wouldn't be surprised if the 1st phase is the shorter of the three towers with two of the podiums built along side, ready for future tower construction as need be. This is how large projects are done in the bigger city. Over decades.

311 South Wacker was built decades ago. It was originally planned as three towers, which would be built as the need came up. Back in the late 90's there was talk about building the second tower. The economy fell through....and until now nothing else has gone up on the two remaining parcels. Now there are plans for the two new towers to be built.

Old 11-15-2016, 12:58 PM

9,367 posts, read 15,011,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago3rd View Post
I like it! Both projects are completely opposite from one another so we would benefit.

Projects like this come once in a life time. Of course the proposal really means one tower at a time. I wouldn't be surprised if the 1st phase is the shorter of the three towers with two of the podiums built along side, ready for future tower construction as need be. This is how large projects are done in the bigger city. Over decades.

311 South Wacker was built decades ago. It was originally planned as three towers, which would be built as the need came up. Back in the late 90's there was talk about building the second tower. The economy fell through....and until now nothing else has gone up on the two remaining parcels. Now there are plans for the two new towers to be built.
OMG- we are not longing to be Chicago!

IMO Providence needs to retain its charm. Keep building heights modest and keep downtown walkable and inviting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island