Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2016, 07:08 AM

4,490 posts, read 3,267,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
The malls and normal retail were not open in 1981.
I didn't drive until the mid-80s, and the malls were not open then.
If I can remember driving around empty parking lots on Sundays and
smoking reefer in them it had to be late 80s at the earliest.
Maybe you were driving in that parking lot before noon or after 5. Or maybe all that reefer affected your memory!

This article is from 1981, note the part about Massachusetts losing Sunday business to RI.
https://www.google.com/amp/www.csmon...26/082648.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2016, 07:27 AM

8,503 posts, read 4,608,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
In the early '80's there was a lawsuit when the "Amica" building on So. Main St. was being built. (Hemenway's Restaurant on the 1st floor; don't know what they renamed the bldg. after that or today).

In addition to a height restriction the reason, the reason there is is a large 'jog' or a 'chunk' out of that building was to not block the views from Benefit St. to downtown Prov. or the views from Prov. toward the upper East Side. There may be a story in the ProJo archives about it at the time.

That building (where Hemenways is now) was originally the Old Stone Bank Building. It is true that there was a lot of East Side neighbor opposition to its height and scale when it was proposed.

Old 11-19-2016, 11:19 AM

2,903 posts, read 3,476,628 times
Quote:
In the early '80's there was a lawsuit when the "Amica" building on So. Main St. was being built. (Hemenway's Restaurant on the 1st floor; don't know what they renamed the bldg. after that or today).

In addition to a height restriction the reason, the reason there is is a large 'jog' or a 'chunk' out of that building was to not block the views from Benefit St. to downtown Prov. or the views from Prov. toward the upper East Side. There may be a story in the ProJo archives about it at the time.

I've herd bits and pieces of this story until the trail ran cold. QC, do you recall a legendary president of Amica, perhaps that last to lead that fine company while it was incorporated downtown? He was apparently sort of a quirky and fascinating fellow and his name and his legacy is directly tied to this incomplete story. Do you recall the gentleman of who I refer, and do you have any more details to this story?

The Amica building of yore -- such a splendid work. i wonder what purpose it fulfills today -- anyone know?

We have so many great works of architecture that I sort of smirk at the "New Dubai" notion. We're loaded with great buidings, few better than Amica. I wonder, was that cobblestone original or part of some restoration -- anyone know?

Last edited by AlfieBoy; 11-19-2016 at 11:36 AM..

Old 11-19-2016, 11:40 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,631,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
Maybe you were driving in that parking lot before noon or after 5. Or maybe all that reefer affected your memory!

This article is from 1981, note the part about Massachusetts losing Sunday business to RI.
https://www.google.com/amp/www.csmon...26/082648.html
The article is too general. It seems to be addressing supermarkets and "mom-and-pop"
stores, which were allowed to open in restricted hours. Rhode Island supermarkets
opened before non-food retail did. The malls and shopping plazas were not open
on Sundays in RI in 1981. I need more than some general article, perhaps you can
research this at a library or call the State House.

Old 11-19-2016, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
I mean we should retain our medium small city charm and not strive to be a huge city- it doesn't behoove us.
For a big city, I like Chicago. If I want to live in NYC, I'd go live there. But why do we have to become huge?

I want to keep our area charming and comfortable with smart growth and restoration solutions- not ruined with totally out of scale high-rises.
Best lesson I ever learned: Go with your strengths. We have preternaturally good looks, the geography and terrain is favorable for highlighting small patches over dust-bowl size vistas, which the eye loves -- this is a 50mm city, PERFECT for rendering or processing by the human eye.

PVD is the original Kodak moment and trust me, the lens that doesn't L-O-V-E this city hasn't yet been invented. Think of it this way: we don't have to do jack and we're a player -- not jack. Who wants to do a rat's race of the latest v.xx of hyper expensive, dull tacky Gehry redo's? Let's play OUR game, one of patience, of craftiness that made "Renaissance City" posible. We ain't going anywhere, no need to shoot the moon just because others feel that pressure. Still, t'wood be nice to have a Richard Meier hanging around, say at Dorrance and Washington?

Old 11-19-2016, 01:39 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,633,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
That building (where Hemenways is now) was originally the Old Stone Bank Building. It is true that there was a lot of East Side neighbor opposition to its height and scale when it was proposed.
Thanks for the correction MMS; the original Old Stone Bank Bldg. has the 'gold' dome. I am mistaken, I was sure that the new odd shape building with the cutout in it was Amica. I stand corrected, it's been a "few" years since I worked as a paralegal for the firm that handled the case, it was big case at the time. I should have looked it up in the archives before I brought it up. duh Next trip to RI I'll have to spend some time in Prov. I have no reason to go into the city, not even for Waterfire -- just not a city girl anymore. The only fave place left for my taste is dining on Federal Hill. But I digress.

Amica's headquarters is in Lincoln RI, which is where they built after leaving the "old" Amica bldg. and, as Alfie points out is on Weybosset St. There also was a large law firm in that building as well, don't know if it is even still is business, it could have been what was left of Tillinghast, Collins & Graham which broke up after awhile and dispersed.

One of the other photos that Alfie posted is of the Turks Head Bldg. (the triangle shaped building at the corner of Weybosset and Westminster.)

Old 11-19-2016, 01:43 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,633,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
I've herd bits and pieces of this story until the trail ran cold. QC, do you recall a legendary president of Amica, perhaps that last to lead that fine company while it was incorporated downtown? He was apparently sort of a quirky and fascinating fellow and his name and his legacy is directly tied to this incomplete story. Do you recall the gentleman of who I refer, and do you have any more details to this story?

The Amica building of yore -- such a splendid work. i wonder what purpose it fulfills today -- anyone know?

We have so many great works of architecture that I sort of smirk at the "New Dubai" notion. We're loaded with great buidings, few better than Amica. I wonder, was that cobblestone original or part of some restoration -- anyone know?

I believe they installed cobblestone in that area to make it 'a plaza', with the 3 large buildings, (Textron, Turks Head, and what I knew as the Tower) stand; as well as to slow down any traffic going thru there. The outside cement seating in front of the Tower I believe was all part of the same project.

Old 11-19-2016, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the correction MMS; the original Old Stone Bank Bldg. has the 'gold' dome. I am mistaken, I was sure that the new odd shape building with the cutout in it was Amica. I stand corrected, it's been a "few" years since I worked as a paralegal for the firm that handled the case, it was big case at the time. I should have looked it up in the archives before I brought it up. duh Next trip to RI I'll have to spend some time in Prov. I have no reason to go into the city, not even for Waterfire -- just not a city girl anymore. The only fave place left for my taste is dining on Federal Hill. But I digress.
You have every reason in the world to treat yourself to this gem and wouldn't THAT make for a fascinating observational post! I can only visualize what you and the historical regulars and experts actually lived and it brings me pain to think of what I missed seeing and experiencing. But when you consider how BADLY other places have fared, QC, like Hartford or New Haven, Providence has held up pretty well. I think one thing you'd see and feel is a place and people trying their best to make this city even more unique, even better. That is a tough job but you might be surprised by the energy behind what MIGHT be a successful effort.

Quote:
Amica's headquarters is in Lincoln RI, which is where they built after leaving the "old" Amica bldg. and, as Alfie points out is on Weybosset St. There also was a large law firm in that building as well, don't know if it is even still is business, it could have been what was left of Tillinghast, Collins & Graham which broke up after awhile and dispersed.
1. I'll check into that. The building is not unoccupied so someone is a tenant. Funny story: old-timers at Amica tell me that people really didn't WANT to leave Weybosett! But the "brain trust" at that time predicted that computing equipment would "only get larger" so it was best to move ASAP. Of course they were wrong at exactly the wrong moment, as computing equipment continues to shrink. And by moving, a heart was carved from an essential part of the city, making the further decline inevitable. There will never be an AMICA-like office complex in downtown -- it destroyed a business model that had worked brilliantly for DECADES! It effectively killed or hastened the demise of PVD as a business center housed in larger buildings. Those days are gone and not returning.

1.a In a never ending search for "the rest of that story," it's my understanding that the Amica prez threatened holy hell if his view of College Hill were destroyed by the new construction so part of a compromise was the cut-back in the newer building. And this cutback happened WHILE the building was under construction, so that must have been a war. But that seems like an incomplete story to me...

2. What is the name of the bank building on Weybosset up the hill slightly from PPAC (next to Beneficent House)? It has a dome (black) and looks heavily masked from bad preservation efforts. What is that building?

Quote:
One of the other photos that Alfie posted is of the Turks Head Bldg. (the triangle shaped building at the corner of Weybosset and Westminster.)
Whoever designed and commissioned that structure had their thinking caps on and they deserve the ever-lasting gratitude of this city.

Last edited by AlfieBoy; 11-19-2016 at 02:28 PM..

Old 11-19-2016, 02:50 PM

9,368 posts, read 15,022,109 times
Info on the Turk's Head bldg- the original figure head was from the ship Sultan- that figurehead was lost in a storm- the head is a concrete replica. I read somewhere it was supposed to represent commerce with the East Indies which was, of course, big in Providence at one time.

Providence Architecture | Locations | Turk's Head Building

AS to the old bank- is it the Old Colony Bank at 58 Weybosset- now defunct?

Last edited by Hollytree; 11-19-2016 at 03:00 PM..

Old 11-19-2016, 03:10 PM

Quote:
I believe they installed cobblestone in that area to make it 'a plaza', with the 3 large buildings, (Textron, Turks Head, and what I knew as the Tower) stand; as well as to slow down any traffic going thru there. The outside cement seating in front of the Tower I believe was all part of the same project.
That took some serious dollars! Who was paying for these improvements because they were not inexpensive! See, this is great use of imagination and optimizing what already exists -- one need not go to Dubai to come home with something wonderful and dear. Pennies on the dollar for true art. I love this space!

Wiki says it was called Hospital trust Tower and is currently called 1 Financial Plaza. It was constructed in 1973 and many of the architectural elements are first quality -- how was the economy in RI in 1973? I'm not an Internationalist fan but it took me about ten seconds to fall in love with the slim, spare little honey. I discovered its plaza this past summer and it is a first rate place for reading -- the plaza itself is witty and sophisticated. Just a great damned building, but still, lot of dollars! Holly, who was the plaza's "furniture maker?" Love him -- Ben Fre? or something sort of like that. Very sharp eye.

This plaza is one of the best integrated urban spots I've ever seen anywhere and when you are there, when using it, you do feel the tremendous aggregated brilliance and humanity of it. Just a fine, fine public space.

I remember how much I loved shooting the entire area last spring because it cannot be divided, it is one organism, one work of fluid art and all of it works, every inch even though multiple buildings are affected. This last shot took least three partial nights, it was such a tough angle and the lighting made getting good bookah most hopeless. I kicked the hell out of the tripod repeatedly I was so frustrated.

Last edited by AlfieBoy; 11-19-2016 at 03:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island