Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2018, 08:45 AM

8,497 posts, read 4,559,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
The question asked in the poll was:
The owners of the PawSox recently announced plans to move the team to Worcester. Do you think Rhode Island leaders should have offered more taxpayer support to keep the team in Pawtucket?
As the leader of the House and arguably the most powerful elected official in Rhode Island, Speaker Mattiello is indirectly referenced in the question. Seeing that the majority of poll respondents said that Rhode Island leaders should not have offered more, that implies that Mattiello is not a "villain" in this story.

NO. That is merely your opinion based on an "interpretation."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2018, 09:37 AM

3,785 posts, read 2,694,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
NO. That is merely your opinion based on an "interpretation."
Well, yes, it is my opinion, formed from reasoning about the facts. How else are we supposed to interpret "Rhode Island leaders"? It's widely known that the Speaker of the House is a powerful position, if not the most powerful, in the state.

Old 09-21-2018, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Well, yes, it is my opinion, formed from reasoning about the facts. How else are we supposed to interpret "Rhode Island leaders"? It's widely known that the Speaker of the House is a powerful position, if not the most powerful, in the state.

I am sure this is probably something that you have never considered - Your opinion is not fact and is not always right.

Old 09-21-2018, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
I am sure this is probably something that you have never considered - Your opinion is not fact and is not always right.
I guess that once again, you did not understand my post.

Old 09-21-2018, 01:02 PM

2,811 posts, read 2,182,574 times
Quote:
I thought that WPRO talk show host was the most powerful political position in the state.

If it's the same poll that called me, they did ask specifically if Mattiello did enough to keep them and if Raimondo did enough to keep them. There was also a question on whether the blame lies on the state (general) for not doing enough or the owners' asking too much.

Old 09-21-2018, 02:45 PM

17,716 posts, read 9,181,543 times
That poll means nothing. 420 random people selected from a state with a population of 1.06 million.

Old 09-22-2018, 06:08 PM

198 posts, read 150,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
They're celebrating right now in Worcester.

https://twitter.com/NBC10_Danielle/s...03250452897799
which Worcester television stations were unable to report

Old 09-22-2018, 09:46 PM

1,572 posts, read 1,560,859 times
Will any Rhode Island radio stations cover the team once they're in Worcester? As for Connecticut teams which moved and/or changed? It isn't an equal comparison, but...

WPOP-AM 1410 of Hartford carried the Hartford Yard Goats. Not sure if sister station WAVZ-AM 1300 of New Haven carried them, as I can't pick them up in southern Hartford County. Hartford is the AA-level Colorado Rockies affiliate (Eastern League).

No local radio for the New Britain Bees. They were online only. The last station which carried their games was WDRC-AM 1360 of Hartford. That was in 2016. I think 2017 was the same as this past season for coverage. New Britain plays in the pro but unaffiliated Atlantic League.

The Herald newspaper of New Britain had virtually no coverage for the Yard Goats. As it's printed in the wee hours of the Massachusetts night (yes, that's correct), there's never a photo or two from the previous evening's home game at New Britain Stadium.

The Hartford Courant newspaper of Hartford did mention the Bees on occasion, at best.

Old 09-23-2018, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp775 View Post
I thought that WPRO talk show host was the most powerful political position in the state.

If it's the same poll that called me, they did ask specifically if Mattiello did enough to keep them and if Raimondo did enough to keep them. There was also a question on whether the blame lies on the state (general) for not doing enough or the owners' asking too much.
Which WPRO talk show host? All of them?

Doesn't sound like the same poll; this recent one only seemed to have one question (Question 10, see poll linked above) regarding the PawSox. I think PawSox ownership (and Dan Yorke of WPRO) did try to push the narrative that it was a failure of state leadership. But it was the PawSox ownership who didn't want to put the stadium bonding on the ballot. They suspected it wouldn't pass, and I suspect they were right.

Old 09-25-2018, 09:43 AM

What's next in post-Sox Pawtucket?

https://www.pawtuckettimes.com/news/...f739a8ff1.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island